Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 11, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #3,826 of 8,051
If the bass isn't there at all (I.E. if it's rolling off) either it really doesn't like your amp or you got a bad pair. I am a bass head and the M1060 usually will satisfy because they will reach as far down as required. It will thump well all the way down to 20hz. But If I really need bass, for movies in particular, I still prefer my DT770. So if you aren't hearing any bass either in in extension or volume on bass heavy tracks, I would say something is up for sure.

I agree. I think any of the headphones that I listed has very nice bass, including the 1060. The 400 a bit better, but the rest of the freq rangeis a bit Wonky.
None match the perception of BIG bass that the Fostex cans do.

Yes if the feeling is that the 1060 is sadly lacking in bass is there, looking more closely for a reason is in order. With the apparent production issues, perhaps he has a bad pair. I just have not yet heard of any reports like this. My first thought is that they just don't meet expectations in the bass response area. Not at all unexpected if using the Fostex cans as a standard !!
Well worth exploring though. I like my pair... though not close to bass monster cans...

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #3,827 of 8,051
I get that they are never going to be as close as the Fostex in the Bass area, and I'm no Bass head, but the difference is not slight its Huge, I even compared them with my PSB M4U2 cans and my mates Fidelio X2 and the BASS is simply not there, no Sub Bass no Mid Bass. I think the MID and upper ranges are great and less muddy than than the Fostex, so if any of the Mods dont improve the Lower frequencies by much I guess there is no point spending the $$ or messing with the earcups.

cheers
what amp you are using ?
also can you post a you tube link for any music you feel
the th-x00 is better with, than the m1060 , just outta curiosity :)

May 11, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #3,828 of 8,051
I too purchased the Dolby Access plugin right away after learning about it here. I'm running a 7.1 home theater ATM, but my twin subs and 4 Atmos speakers are currently enroute to transform it to 7.2.4 =D

I'll have my HT Atmos up and running around the first part of June. Completely stoked, can't wait!

Regarding the Dolby Access plugin for PC...I would absolutely use it while gaming or watching movies with headphones. For music, I'll likely leave it off. Now that I have it though, I'll leave it on for 2-3 days to get used to it.

Have only tried it for a couple songs so far, but I pretty much agree with your assessment. Highs seem to shrink, though it does seem to play with soundstage width and add some reverb. I think I AM getting more used to it the more songs I listen to with it enabled, and it's becoming more pleasing.

Of interesting note, I think that the larger the soundstage the headphone has to begin with, the greater the effect of the Dolby Access. M1060 received more spatial benefit than my Stax does (M1060 has a wider soundstage to start with). It IS a different flavor, but I've always put more stock into close-in detail and imaging than a wider soundstage; others may have different preferences for sure.

I only have M1060 and Stax 207 to test on presently. The rest of my headphone collection is being Bogarted by reviewers DMS3 and Zeos Pantera :p

I'll probably IM you to discuss Atmos HT :)

@CluckerByte Thanks for sharing the Atmos for Headphones info, I *am* glad I now have it to play around with.
Hey Pahani, have you tried disabling 7.1 virtualisation under Atmos for 2 channel content? You'll be pleased.

May 11, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #3,829 of 8,051
Hi all, I'm going to post my latest findings here for Atmos as some people appear to be interested, I am now happy with the results across pretty much everything.
It's a bit to read, but I'm the type that delves in and loves to understand the insides and outs of everything, and you'll appreciate the understanding you have afterwards too.

Here we go:

"Hi everyone,
As of 2 days ago I have adopted Dolby Atmos for Headphone and been playing around with it non-stop.
You see I currently have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card in my Windows 10 machine, and have ALWAYS used Dolby Headphone, specifically the DH-2 setting as I found it had a little more separation without sounding "reverby" to my ears compared to the boxed sound of DH-1.
I have been posting over in the Monolith M1060 thread, but someone suggested I bring my information and experience over here - good idea!

Compared to Dolby Headphone, this is certainly a step up and above to what I am used to.
I have heard Youtube representations of what other DSP's sound like (SBX, GSX, SBZ, DH, CMSS-3D), and this appears to be pretty competitive considering it's $15 vs Creative or Senn's leading hardware based solutions.

I have not bought the full version of this software yet, I am currently on trial and still have 27 days left.

I had some problems initially with some content sounding a bit "off" - this has now been identified as having too much reverb and some sounds being quieter than the mastering intended.
What was the cause? - Allow me to explain.

By default when you enable Dolby Atmos for Headphone and get it all set up, it up-mixes ALL content and it's channels to a 7.1 simulated experience.
I have found that for 5.1 and 7.1 content this works a treat, no complaints really at all.

With 2 channel content however, reverb is introduced and some of the details in the 2 channel mixes are lost or visualised in an extremely quiet way where the environment or situation can appear to sound off or hollow.
Solution? - Allow me to explain.

As with Dolby Headphone, which up-mixes all content up to a 5.1 mix and 7.1 down to a 5.1 mix, content sounds the same in experience regardless without issue, at-least in my experience.
With Dolby Atmos for Headphone, you need to UNCHECK the 7.1 virtualisation box when playing stereo (2 channel) content.

Please remember when you change Atmos settings in the Spatial Audio tab, you generally should have the content closed and not playing, and you should re-open it fresh as in my experience changes do not take effect until a program picks up the new settings fresh from the go, not on the fly.
Immediately you will notice 2 channel content has less reverb, especially noticeable on voices to myself, and the content feels a little "fuller". (Content specific obviously)

I have had SOME content which comes through well from 2.1 to 7.1, but all 2ch content appears to benefit better from just being played without the 7.1 virtualisation.
To my understanding, when you uncheck 7.1 virtualisation, it does a 5.1 up-mix instead, like Dolby Headphone.

Less channels to split the streams into = less room for error with sound level virtualisation and less reverb.

I originally didn't like Atmos for playing music or listening to quite a bit of things, but when you understand how to utilise it, it's fantastic.

One thing that needs to happen, is being able to change channels somehow as currently selecting Dolby Atmos for Headphone defaults your sound channels to 2 channel, which means games that auto select their game track based on the Windows mixer play in stereo, so you need to uncheck 7.1 to get the most out of them.
Hopefully Dolby fixes this somehow so we can select 5.1 and 7.1 so we can utilise full 7.1 virtualisation in games.
Obviously games that allow you manual control of in-game sound channels work fine.

Also remember Atmos won't benefit games with already DSP'd / Binaural audio tracks, I believe Battlefield and Witcher 3 have these built in with some sound option configurations.

Well, I think that's everything I wanted to share, I hope you guys can learn something from this and improve your experience, this is very beneficial to me because I wanted a dedicated high quality DAC / AMP combo but I needed a DSP for gaming / movies and music. (Love how it transforms the sound into a more full presentation)
On a side note, does anyone know if an Aune X1S will benefit my setup vs my current headphone jack from my Xonar Essence STX?

Thanks."

May 11, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #3,830 of 8,051
Can anyone advise if the paper towel mod application requires a paper towel type that you get in any public toilet dispenser or the type you have in your kitchen ie kitchen roll ?.
I received the M1060's about 2 weeks ago and let them burn in whilst my custom balanced cable (XLR) arrived, hooked them all up yesterday to the MATRIX M-STAGE HPA-3B Amp and was totally underwhelmed :frowning2: compared to my Fostex THX-00-mahogony. though the mid and highs where there, the bass was piratically non assistance unless I turned up the volume significantly or used the high gain switch, and even then there was no contest, they where also not as Punchy as the THX-00's, if anything the purchase has made me appreciate the THX-00's even more, I read on this forum that pumping up the Bass a few DB realy helps but unfortunately my source is not a computer so I dont have an equalizer.
I'm hoping that the Mods will help with this starting with the paper towel concept. and then then some new pads, although spending an extra $120 on pads is a bit of a risk, as if these don't improve, out they go.

cheers

JCB

I just had to respond to remind you of the so-called brain-burn in, coming from a dynamic driver to your first planar is a drastic change technically, not to mention getting acquainted with the general change in sound signature of the phones' as well.
The brain burn-in can take quite long and the initial impression can be lacking. It takes a while for your brain to process how the sound is being generated.

May 12, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #3,833 of 8,051
Hey guys, have any of you tried the round Velour pads from Brainwavz? They aren't angled, so I was wondering what that would do to the sound... If not, I'll probably still get them and let you know what I think, but I have no measuring equipment unfortunately. Audeze pads are really hard to get here, so I'm looking for the best alternatives.

May 12, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #3,834 of 8,051
Hello,

I've read about M1060 and it seems pretty good for it's price range.

Well I'm looking for a specific sound signature : good deep bass, quick and tight but not too much with some good slam, smooth mid-range, and very mellow mids-high and trebble (a bit rolled off). I have eard the LCD-X and I love the sound signature ... but ou of my price range.

So well what about M1060 with vegan pads or zmf ori pads ? a little Spark mid-high and trebble or not ?

Thank you !

Regards,

May 12, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #3,835 of 8,051
Hello,

I've read about M1060 and it seems pretty good for it's price range.

Well I'm looking for a specific sound signature : good deep bass, quick and tight but not too much with some good slam, smooth mid-range, and very mellow mids-high and trebble (a bit rolled off). I have eard the LCD-X and I love the sound signature ... but ou of my price range.

So well what about M1060 with vegan pads or zmf ori pads ? a little Spark mid-high and trebble or not ?

Thank you !

Regards,

I just went back to my HD600, expecting not to hear much of a difference after using the m1060's for a week now. But what a difference, holy cow. Clarity is a lot better, but no harshness at all (HD600 has a spike somewhere that is awful), bass is soo much deeper and has a lot more impact, soundstage is just a tiny bit more with still great imaging (makes everything seem more "connected", and not so extremely cramped) and after you swap to velour pads, there is a warmness in the mids you just can't find on the HD600 (even though they are concidered warm). Noone can tell you how you percieve these headphones, but for me, they are an absolute steal at this price, and they will remain my endgame-headphone until I'm finished at Uni and I have a stable job :D

May 12, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #3,836 of 8,051
Just a quick heads up: if the 1060s sound especially weird (i.e. really bad) out of the box and you're using the included 1/4" adapter, switch to a different 1/4" adapter, there's a decent chance the one in the box is crap. I had this issue and I've read multiple reports of other people having a problem

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #3,838 of 8,051
See that is where I feel the m1060 isn't an issue in comparison to similar headbands on the q701(which I didnt like), and I feel the headband on the 1060 is comfortable and have worn in for multiple hours with. But to be fair I have a larger head and a strong neck so may that is why it feels comfortable to me
I wear a 7 1/2 hat IIRC which is snug or a 7 3/8 or 5/8? I forget, which is a bit loose on the later. The top of my head from the weight and pads are bothersome on my noggin. I feel it within 30 minutes to an hour. I simply move it forward or back ward and the pain goes away for 10 seconds and comes back lol. AD900x? didn't hurt but that dual wing system these headbands are necessarily tall and ugly. The pads on these are too hard for my head I guess with it's 500g weight. X2's don't hurt but again that tall headband is atrocious. The speed bump padding is turrable.

May 12, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,839 of 8,051
I just went back to my HD600, expecting not to hear much of a difference after using the m1060's for a week now. But what a difference, holy cow. Clarity is a lot better, but no harshness at all (HD600 has a spike somewhere that is awful), bass is soo much deeper and has a lot more impact, soundstage is just a tiny bit more with still great imaging (makes everything seem more "connected", and not so extremely cramped) and after you swap to velour pads, there is a warmness in the mids you just can't find on the HD600 (even though they are concidered warm). Noone can tell you how you percieve these headphones, but for me, they are an absolute steal at this price, and they will remain my endgame-headphone until I'm finished at Uni and I have a stable job :D

I own both the HD600 (very slightly modded) and the M1060 (modded) as well. I won't be selling off my 600's anytime soon. I think they're both very good, but I believe to really appreciate the HD600's you want to make sure you're feeding them with a tube amp. They tend to sound as you have described otherwise. The M1060's sound much better with an SS feed. This is just what my ears tell me. Yours will quite likely be different ...

May 12, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,840 of 8,051
I wear a 7 1/2 hat IIRC which is snug or a 7 3/8 or 5/8? I forget, which is a bit loose on the later. The top of my head from the weight and pads are bothersome on my noggin. I feel it within 30 minutes to an hour. I simply move it forward or back ward and the pain goes away for 10 seconds and comes back lol. AD900x? didn't hurt but that dual wing system these headbands are necessarily tall and ugly. The pads on these are too hard for my head I guess with it's 500g weight. X2's don't hurt but again that tall headband is atrocious. The speed bump padding is turrable.

I was having same trouble with headband. I pushed sliders up to give a little more space and allowed some of the clamp force hold them in place. At first they felt like they would slip off but gained confidence they stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back