Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 12, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #3,841 of 8,051
With a 61cm (24 inches) head circumference, the headband is just barely large enough to fit on my head with the stock pads. I have the adjustment maxed out. I find the headband creates a hot spot after half an hour or so. Would prefer if it was with a straight material like the X2 instead of the bumps, might mod it.

May 12, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #3,842 of 8,051
With a 61cm (24 inches) head circumference, the headband is just barely large enough to fit on my head with the stock pads. I have the adjustment maxed out. I find the headband creates a hot spot after half an hour or so. Would prefer if it was with a straight material like the X2 instead of the bumps, might mod it.
i don't have that specific issue but what i do is that i push down from the top of the band so the bumps get compressed, after this, it's really confortable for me.

May 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,843 of 8,051
Just a quick heads up: if the 1060s sound especially weird (i.e. really bad) out of the box and you're using the included 1/4" adapter, switch to a different 1/4" adapter, there's a decent chance the one in the box is crap. I had this issue and I've read multiple reports of other people having a problem

Been listening to it for the last couple days and I noticed when the 1/4" adapter is turned (rotated) certain way the sound will change to mono until you adjust the 3.5mm plug position in the adopter. The supplied 1/4" adapter is a joke, all my other cable has very tight fit with their 1/4" adapter. The one that came with the M1060 is generally loose to a degree that there's no good contact inside.

May 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #3,844 of 8,051

I don't have a really big head but do find the stock strap the most annoying thing on the M1060. I have a leather sample coming in from a leather supplier, and if it will work I will order a half hide. It's this one (the coloration really caught my eye as a possible really good match for the wood):

https://www.districtleathers.com/products/crazy-horse-cow?variant=28919688833

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #3,845 of 8,051

I see that you own the Jotunheim and Vahalla 2, and wanted your 2 cents on how each of these amps sound with the M1060s? if you don't mind

May 12, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #3,846 of 8,051
Has anyone tried the Audeze leather pads?

Yup, I am currently using a very early LCD2 leather pad that a friend sent me, and honestly I really really like, unfortunately I'm unsure if the new LCD2 pads would measure or sound the same.
RED=Stock, PEACH=Vegan, BLUE=LCD2 leather, YELLOW=LCD2+damping changes.

1a.jpg

May 12, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #3,847 of 8,051
Yup, I am currently using a very early LCD2 leather pad that a friend sent me, and honestly I really really like, unfortunately I'm unsure if the new LCD2 pads would measure or sound the same.
RED=Stock, PEACH=Vegan, BLUE=LCD2 leather, YELLOW=LCD2+damping changes.

Those measure really well!

I have a Dayton iMM-6 measurement mic. What would you suggest would be the best way to measure headphones? I would like to see what some of my other mods turned out to be like, as well as these of course.

May 12, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #3,849 of 8,051
I just went back to my HD600, expecting not to hear much of a difference after using the m1060's for a week now. But what a difference, holy cow. Clarity is a lot better, but no harshness at all (HD600 has a spike somewhere that is awful), bass is soo much deeper and has a lot more impact, soundstage is just a tiny bit more with still great imaging (makes everything seem more "connected", and not so extremely cramped) and after you swap to velour pads, there is a warmness in the mids you just can't find on the HD600 (even though they are concidered warm). Noone can tell you how you percieve these headphones, but for me, they are an absolute steal at this price, and they will remain my endgame-headphone until I'm finished at Uni and I have a stable job :D

You feel like swapping the M1060's pads to the micro suede non leather pads helps with improving midrange? I know this preference but I do enjoy midrange a lot so that is why I was wondering. I am on the verge of buying the Audeze microfiber pads.

May 12, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #3,850 of 8,051
someone is selling the 1060 locally and I was thinking of picking them up, I currently have the hifiman 400s paired up with a jds labs the element amp running off my surface book. I am assuming the 1060 will sound better but wondering by how much ? anyone own both ? comments appreciated thanks

May 12, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #3,851 of 8,051
Heads up that Monoprice is doing $20 off $100+ purchase today with code DEALS5. Does NOT exclude M1060.

May 12, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #3,852 of 8,051
someone is selling the 1060 locally and I was thinking of picking them up, I currently have the hifiman 400s paired up with a jds labs the element amp running off my surface book. I am assuming the 1060 will sound better but wondering by how much ? anyone own both ? comments appreciated thanks

I personally wouldn't buy the 1060s without a warranty, Monoprice seems to still be working out the kinks, so I'd avoid second-hand 1060s for now

May 12, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #3,855 of 8,051
so I take it the warranty is not transferrable, I just started reading through the thread had no idea there was so many issues with the headphones, looks like I will pass for now - thanks,
i'd recommend calling them and ask if the warranty can be transferred before discarding them as an option, i got mine as soon as the second batch hit the website, shipped to mexico, so far everything is great, no qc issues for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back