Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 12, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #3,857 of 8,051
so I take it the warranty is not transferrable, I just started reading through the thread had no idea there was so many issues with the headphones, looks like I will pass for now - thanks,

Yeah the start of this thread is quite different than the latest part. You will see they updated the M1060 and are on "revision 2" now. Seems to have solved the issues you saw mentioned earlier in this thread. How good is this local deal? With the code I posted the M1060's are showing as $289 shipped, most used ones are still asking for $300+.

May 12, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,859 of 8,051
So, Vintage King Audio just emailed me to tell me my order for Audeze Vegan pads won't be fulfilled because they've been discontinued, which is terrible timing

May 12, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,860 of 8,051
I see that you own the Jotunheim and Vahalla 2, and wanted your 2 cents on how each of these amps sound with the M1060s? if you don't mind
I'm refraining from commenting on my perception of these headphones until after I've had a good burn-in (physical and mental), a lengthy session stock and then a while with the various mods.

I can say that the Valhalla 2 doesn't do low impedance headphones like the X2 any favours, but I like it paired with HD650 and an across the board +1 db bass region/-1db treble region EQ.
I haven't hooked the M1060's up to it yet, but I suspect the 50 ohm(?) impedance is too low for an OTL tube amp to really do them justice.

The Jotunheim I find it too neutral/bright with all my headphones except the X2, but that's just a personal preference I guess. Speaking of that, I think I'm gonna take a hearing test soon, since I seem to find most popular combos to be fatiguingly bright.

May 12, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #3,861 of 8,051
So, Vintage King Audio just emailed me to tell me my order for Audeze Vegan pads won't be fulfilled because they've been discontinued, which is terrible timing

Discontinued? As in Vintage King Audio won't carry them anymore or Audeze has stopped making them?

EDIT: After searching Audeze's site they have removed the black pads from their product listing. It looks like the brown ones are still being made and can still be bought but they are $80-100 depending on the retailer. I wonder if Audeze took issue with people buying them for a non-Audeze headphone.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,862 of 8,051
Discontinued? As in Vintage King Audio won't carry them anymore or Audeze has stopped making them?

They said they got word from the manufacturer that this specific item is discontinued. Could be inaccurate

May 12, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #3,864 of 8,051
Adorama has the brown pads for $69 as 'temporarily backordered', for anybody that wants to take a try at it. Compared to black which is just 'on backorder'.

That's what I'm trying. I'm hoping the fact that Audeze still has the brown vegan pads on their website is a good sign

May 12, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,865 of 8,051
You feel like swapping the M1060's pads to the micro suede non leather pads helps with improving midrange? I know this preference but I do enjoy midrange a lot so that is why I was wondering. I am on the verge of buying the Audeze microfiber pads.

I did feel like mid-bass improved a lot, and added more warmth to the sound. Sometimes it sounds a tiny bit bloated, but that's a tradeoff I'm happy to take. Now they sound like HD600's with better bass-extention and tightness, more warmth in the mids and sooo much air in the highs but no harshness. Just wonderful to listen to.

May 12, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #3,866 of 8,051
with the recent mentioning of TH-X00, I am having 2nd thoughts on the M1060 again

Since I am in CA and have to pay tax and shipping, add in the Vega pads, the total cost is about $395 for "M1060 to sound it's best"

can owners with both help chime in, if I am only going to have one headphone (rest are IEMs), which one is the better pick for mostly music (JPOP, hip hop, American pop), anime and movies.

thanks!

May 12, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #3,867 of 8,051
Adorama has the brown pads for $69 as 'temporarily backordered', for anybody that wants to take a try at it. Compared to black which is just 'on backorder'.

Just took your advice. Hopefully, the order won't be canceled and they will ship soon.

Edit: canceled the Adorama order. They were going to charge shipping which brought the total to about $75. Ordered instead from Soundapproach.com which has them in stock for $80 with free shipping. So, for $5 I'd rather get them now versus waiting on Adorama which may never get them.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3,869 of 8,051
with the recent mentioning of TH-X00, I am having 2nd thoughts on the M1060 again

Since I am in CA and have to pay tax and shipping, add in the Vega pads, the total cost is about $395 for "M1060 to sound it's best"

can owners with both help chime in, if I am only going to have one headphone (rest are IEMs), which one is the better pick for mostly music (JPOP, hip hop, American pop), anime and movies.

thanks!

If I could only keep one it would be the TH-X00 PH without doubt...Lawton Tune-up Kit modded and better earpads a necessity though, so it's more like a ~$560 proposition for the TH-X00 PH versus a ~$370 one for the M1060... but so worth it.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #3,870 of 8,051
If I could only keep one it would be the TH-X00 PH without doubt...Lawton Tune-up Kit modded and better earpads a necessity though, so it's more like a ~$560 proposition for the TH-X00 PH versus a ~$370 one for the M1060... but so worth it.

I love my Fostex TH-X00 Ebony. They're awesome for bass heavy music, but I prefer the M1060s for movies.

Personally the Fostex TH-X00 series is great. Downside being the ridiculous cable that isn't detachable. The Ebony's are limited edition, they only have enough Ebony wood for ~1,500 units. The Mahogany and Purpleheart should be made for a long time.

The Fostex are a final product and I can't see much changing with them. The M1060s are brand new, already on a second revision, and may come with a vegan pad option in the future. The M1060 most likely will get better with time. Personally, I'd own both if possible. Buy the Fostex now, grab the M1060 down the road. Planar sound is special and addictive to me. The music sounds more natural and real with decay and clarity. It's all personal preference, but that's my take.

If you want the Ebony TH-X00, grab them whenever they pop up. They're considered the best of the 3 overall, and won't last much longer. They've sold about 1,000 of them so far, so they may only last another 3-6 months at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back