Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 10, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #3,796 of 8,051
Just like the AKG Q701, the crappy headband on both that one and this M1060 will penetrate your skull and make the top of your head to be in annoying "pain". Yeah, try and game with these. Ain't happening for more than an hour. Too heavy as well. Slight head movements will have the paint cans buoyancy to move across your ears like crazy. No, they won't slide off your ears or touch them, but the outwardness of them will be noticeable to move around outside of your ears in an annoying fashion. The cable terminal that plugs into your equipment is an absolute joke. There's a moose knuckle on it ***.

Pads are comfy though. Headband design, and padding is crap though. Just give us a normal headband like Sennheiser, Fostex, and Beyerdynamic. This Cirque Du Soleil headbands these companies use are atrocious. Looking at you Audio Technica, Hifiman, and Philips. My head doesn't need wild lions, tigers, and bears to swing from the rafters.

May 10, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #3,797 of 8,051
Well this is interesting.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/round-headphone-earpads

Brainwavz just announced new round earpads. The only downside is that there are not angled options (yet). This could be a boon for the modding community, though.

I looked at this and couldn't help but be reminded of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cosmos-Vel...qid=1494465147&sr=8-1&keywords=cosmos+earpads

They are very close, though the hole looks slightly bigger on the brainwavz (good!) and memory foam is likely softer also (also good). I ordered two of those cosmos at different times; the first one was fairly soft, the second was almost hard foam and much less comfortable than the first pair. So there seems to be at least some difference between manufacturing runs (but the price is great!). I also wish the hole was larger as I have really large ears (the 2inch hole is actually not big enough... curses genes).

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #3,799 of 8,051
I was initially excited about Dolby Atmos for headphones and so I dropped the $15 right away, since I have an Atmos 7.2.4 home theater and absolutely love it. I only tried it with my Fostex Mk3s, but I really hated it with music. It totally killed the higher frequencies. I must say that the positional effects on the demo material was pretty awesome though, despite the tonal balance being suboptimal.
I'm glad to hear you've tried it, I actually was surprised to hear you found the higher frequencies compressed as I've noticed things have much more treble and detail since enabling it.
I have a feeling perhaps the positional audio could be during it's processing, pushing some things further away, seeming more quiet, and therefore on your content/material making it sound like it's more pushed away?

Do voices sound more forward and accurate with it for you?

Could be something else entirely, and probably the case tbh, interesting find.

I have noticed my headphones depict the same type of sound our Atmos Home Theatre set up has, no bloated bass bump and super accurate, perhaps maybe a hint of too much in the treble details.
Like the M1060 has been beautiful to listen to highs with, no fatigue at all, but with Atmos I find some details to be too shrill to my ears and I'm trying to adjust to having more detail and less bass.

It's different, not bad.
I believe it's superior in the way of technical presentation, my ears and taste just need to adjust.
I still enjoy it, it's tricky to explain, haha.

May 11, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #3,801 of 8,051
aaaaand my headphone cracked too... Living in Norway, having payed 80 USD for shipping, this pretty much sucks... It cracked all the way through, but is this purely cosmetic, or will it stop working at some point? I don't want to be without a m1060 for more than a few hours, I'm addicted to the sound :D

May 11, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #3,802 of 8,051
You should be fine. You could always bring it to a guitar repair shop or maybe even just furniture repair and get some wood glue, it will be stronger than before.

May 11, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,804 of 8,051
I know the m1060 is a very efficient planar magnetic headphone and then it doesn't take much to drive them, but as far as great pairings does anyone have any recommendations for amplifiers the pair really well with the m1060?

$59 original Schiit Fulla 1 dac/amp usb device powers them very well, bass is slamming.

May 11, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #3,805 of 8,051
Just like the AKG Q701, the ****ty headband on both that one and this M1060 will penetrate your skull and make the top of your head to be in annoying "pain". Yeah, try and game with these. Ain't happening for more than an hour. Too heavy as well. Slight head movements will have the paint cans buoyancy to move across your ears like crazy. No, they won't slide off your ears or touch them, but the outwardness of them will be noticeable to move around outside of your ears in an annoying fashion. The cable terminal that plugs into your equipment is an absolute joke. There's a moose knuckle on it ***.

Pads are comfy though. Headband design, and padding is **** though. Just give us a normal headband like Sennheiser, Fostex, and Beyerdynamic. This Cirque Du Soleil headbands these companies use are atrocious. Looking at you Audio Technica, Hifiman, and Philips. My head doesn't need wild lions, tigers, and bears to swing from the rafters.

See that is where I feel the m1060 isn't an issue in comparison to similar headbands on the q701(which I didnt like), and I feel the headband on the 1060 is comfortable and have worn in for multiple hours with. But to be fair I have a larger head and a strong neck so may that is why it feels comfortable to me

May 11, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #3,806 of 8,051
aaaaand my headphone cracked too... Living in Norway, having payed 80 USD for shipping, this pretty much sucks... It cracked all the way through, but is this purely cosmetic, or will it stop working at some point? I don't want to be without a m1060 for more than a few hours, I'm addicted to the sound :D
as far as I know the provide a prepaid shipping guide if you need a warranty replacement, message them and ask

May 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3,809 of 8,051
So I've been doing an extreme amount of testing with Dolby Atmos for Headphone and basically this is the rule to follow.

2ch Content -> Uncheck 7.1 Virtualisation
6ch Content -> Check 7.1 Virtualisation
8ch Content -> Check 7.1 Virtualisation

I believe un-checking the box does a 5.1 upmix rather than 7.1, and I immediately noticed a reduction in echo and reverb (if that's what you can call it) to voices and some sounds, good difference for music and 2ch games / movies.
Currently there's a silly limitation where selecting Atmos for Headphone defaults your source audio output to 2ch and if you touch a single setting it turns off Atmos, this means any video game that does not allow inside game toggles of their sound options will read the windows setting (2ch) and default to stereo.
I've contacted Dolby about this to see if they will be fixing / optimising this.

So far I am very pleased with the result now that I've figured this out, basically the stuff that sounded crap to me was any 2ch content that was being upmixed to 7.1, it makes sense trying to virtualise to channels into 7 could easily mess with some sounds and improperly augment them with excess reverb or what have you.
The 5.1 appears to remove this.

I will test further, movies sound great with 5.1 and 7.1 virtualised.
I really wish I could test some 5.1 / 7.1 games, as now that I know how their whole system works with channels and upmixing, I'm surprised by my time with Killing Floor 2 thinking it was outputting 5.1 / 7.1 content and being virtualised, where really I was only listening to 2.1 virtualised into 7.1!

Looking promising.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back