Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 9, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #3,781 of 8,051
If you're Windows only I recommend Soundblaster Z as SBX is the best surround DSP I've heard. I haven't been able to get Windows virtualizations to work.

Hey cskippy, good to hear from you.
Have you tried Sennheiser's DSP? People have been saying the surround accuracy placement is much better and resolved some echo problems DSP's suffer from..
I am indeed Windows only, my current Xonar Essence STX uses the Optical Out to feed my home theatre amp and from that sends signal to my 3 speakers and subwoofer.

Ideally looking for an external dedicated headphone solution, perhaps the Creative G5/E5 will be better for me.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #3,782 of 8,051
Man, the vegans on my M1060 have been spoiling me for comfort! Every other headphone I wear now the pads feel shallow and hard. The vegans are so comfy I would recommend them for comfort alone, sonic differences aside! I also didn't realize how much the headband mod I did helped. Most other headphone headbands don't feel up to snuff now.

Also, for those of you on the fence about the vegans. I found another benefit the other day. They are anti static (says so on the Audeze website). This might not sound like a big deal but thats a huge metal conductor sitting right next to your ear. I have a cloth couch and when using the stock pads I was shocked rather severely multiple times. Not only did it hurt like a mother but I was afraid that it would damage the headphones. Since I got the vegans I have only been shocked once and it went out my finger, not my ear, circumventing the headphone entirely. I would say that the anti static pads are doing their job! Just something to consider. :o2smile:

May 10, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #3,784 of 8,051
Just received my M1060 from the post, no tax or handling fee so all I paid is about $450 CAD ($322.65 USD).

No crack on wood so I am happy, will have them burn in first.

I brought home few pieces of embroidery backings (black stabilizer), different weight. Going to mod and see which is better improvement.

What shipping method did you use I'd like to avoid getting hit with the fee hammer too. On another note, my shipping fees seem to be higher than yours. Since when is dhl cheaper than usps. (shipping to toronto btw)

DHL 6-10 days - $36.37
USPS Priority International - $55.99
DHL 1-2 days - $56.69
UPS Worldwide Expedited - $59.85
UPS Worldwide Express Saver - $88.58

(edit: added more details)

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #3,785 of 8,051
Update:

Hi everyone.

I thought I'd share some exciting news for those of you not aware..

Windows 10 Creators Update comes with spatial audio built in now - the Windows Sonic for Headphones option is crap IMO, but the Dolby Atmos for Headphone is brilliant so far.

I've tested some movies and YT videos (5.1, 7.1 and 2.1) all bring so much more clarity and better directional audio than the previously used Dolby Headphone DH-2. (Obviously)

I'm using the trial atm and may purchase it for the $15.00 they ask. (Probs USD I imagine)

Going to test games soon, but there is so much detail I haven't been able to hear clearly before, that I can now, just wish it by default added a bit more sub bass like the Dolby Headphone DSP did.

This is exciting because it means I can purchase a dedicated DAC / Amp combo instead of being limited to "gamer only" options that have DSP's built in.

Will keep anyone informed who cares, stay tuned.

Using Dolby Atmos for Headphone on the M1060 obvs and paper towel mod, I expect even better results with vegan pads when they arrive.
Up until today, Dolby Access (Windows app) had troubles working correctly but it updated today and now allows me to utilise the surround processing.

Was close to pulling the trigger on the GSX 1000, but was keen to test this first.

May 10, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #3,786 of 8,051
Update:

Hi everyone.

I thought I'd share some exciting news for those of you not aware..

Windows 10 Creators Update comes with spatial audio built in now - the Windows Sonic for Headphones option is crap IMO, but the Dolby Atmos for Headphone is brilliant so far.

I've tested some movies and YT videos (5.1, 7.1 and 2.1) all bring so much more clarity and better directional audio than the previously used Dolby Headphone DH-2. (Obviously)

I'm using the trial atm and may purchase it for the $15.00 they ask. (Probs USD I imagine)

Going to test games soon, but there is so much detail I haven't been able to hear clearly before, that I can now, just wish it by default added a bit more sub bass like the Dolby Headphone DSP did.

This is exciting because it means I can purchase a dedicated DAC / Amp combo instead of being limited to "gamer only" options that have DSP's built in.

Will keep anyone informed who cares, stay tuned.

Using Dolby Atmos for Headphone on the M1060 obvs and paper towel mod, I expect even better results with vegan pads when they arrive.
Up until today, Dolby Access (Windows app) had troubles working correctly but it updated today and now allows me to utilise the surround processing.

Was close to pulling the trigger on the GSX 1000, but was keen to test this first.

that sounds really interesting, but how does it work or how do i get it? i've read something about the creator update but my pc won't find it, probably it's a regional deployment for now, but once i get the update, what should i do to set up everything?

May 10, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #3,787 of 8,051
that sounds really interesting, but how does it work or how do i get it? i've read something about the creator update but my pc won't find it, probably it's a regional deployment for now, but once i get the update, what should i do to set up everything?

Okay, so first thing to know is if you were considering manually pushing through the creators update, don't do that as Microsoft have issued a warning to let it happen naturally, as some older PC's are having troubles.
When you do end up upgrading, the sound icon that you right click and can select Playback Devices / Recording Devices will now have a Spatial Audio option.

You select this, choose Dolby Atmos for Headphone from the drop down box and it launches the Windows Store.
You simply download the app and follow the wizard that takes you through step by step and then you don't need to touch anything, it auto detects whether the content is 2.1 5.1 or 7.1 and works appropriately.

I've noticed a lack of bass with some things which I find to be disappointing.
Games sound much different, more spacious and accurate in relation to Dolby Headphone, I think my brain needs to get used to it, I'm expecting to hear things the way I did with Dolby Headphone and setting expectations that don't make sense.

Here's a guide in case I confused you.
http://pureinfotech.com/setup-spatial-sound-dolby-atmos-windows-10/

May 10, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3,788 of 8,051
Okay, so first thing to know is if you were considering manually pushing through the creators update, don't do that as Microsoft have issued a warning to let it happen naturally, as some older PC's are having troubles.
When you do end up upgrading, the sound icon that you right click and can select Playback Devices / Recording Devices will now have a Spatial Audio option.

You select this, choose Dolby Atmos for Headphone from the drop down box and it launches the Windows Store.
You simply download the app and follow the wizard that takes you through step by step and then you don't need to touch anything, it auto detects whether the content is 2.1 5.1 or 7.1 and works appropriately.

I've noticed a lack of bass with some things which I find to be disappointing.
Games sound much different, more spacious and accurate in relation to Dolby Headphone, I think my brain needs to get used to it, I'm expecting to hear things the way I did with Dolby Headphone and setting expectations that don't make sense.

Here's a guide in case I confused you.
http://pureinfotech.com/setup-spatial-sound-dolby-atmos-windows-10/
awesome, thanks for the info, i've been playing the witcher 3 with my M1060 and holy cow, the imaging and the sense of space is incredible, so i'm curious how will it sound with this update, then again, i don't know what audio technology the game uses.

May 10, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,790 of 8,051
I know the m1060 is a very efficient planar magnetic headphone and then it doesn't take much to drive them, but as far as great pairings does anyone have any recommendations for amplifiers the pair really well with the m1060?

May 10, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3,791 of 8,051
I know the m1060 is a very efficient planar magnetic headphone and then it doesn't take much to drive them, but as far as great pairings does anyone have any recommendations for amplifiers the pair really well with the m1060?

It works pretty well with my Magni v1. It adds some brightness which may be a good or bad thing depending on your taste. That's probably the best pairing I have (I don't have a very large selection of amps, though). The biggest annoyance is that, because they are so easy to drive, I only have from 8 o'clock to 9 o'clock as usable volume play. I'm thinking of picking up the ifi iCAN next month as my end-game-drive-everything amp next month. The 0 db gain setting would be nice for the M1060.

I know this isn't particularly helpful, but I thought I would throw my opinion out there.

May 10, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #3,792 of 8,051
What shipping method did you use I'd like to avoid getting hit with the fee hammer too. On another note, my shipping fees seem to be higher than yours. Since when is dhl cheaper than usps. (shipping to toronto btw)

DHL 6-10 days - $36.37
USPS Priority International - $55.99
DHL 1-2 days - $56.69
UPS Worldwide Expedited - $59.85
UPS Worldwide Express Saver - $88.58

(edit: added more details)

Wow, those shipping charges are insane, either they jacked up the price on shipping or you are living in mountains (just kidding).
I live in Markham and don't think it would be that much a different on the shipping cost, I used DHL 6-10 days - $22.65 on check out.

Regarding the tax, DHL handed parcel to Canada Post in Canada and mine wasn't charged with handling fee nor import duty. YMMV.

*Imaging and sound stage is phenomenal, I had it hooked up to my Topping D30/A30.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #3,793 of 8,051
awesome, thanks for the info, i've been playing the witcher 3 with my M1060 and holy cow, the imaging and the sense of space is incredible, so i'm curious how will it sound with this update, then again, i don't know what audio technology the game uses.
I think by default the audio engine in Witcher 3 emulates some sort of 3D effect, but can be enhanced with DSP effects greatly.

I'd have to try it on games, because the Dolby Headphone option sounds like crap on music.
Yeah Dolby Headphone kind of gave music a more 3D feel, but Atmos creates crazy seperation and vocal / instrumental clarity I haven't heard before.
It's actually that good on some things that I think to myself "how the **** did they extract so much detail with just a software-based DSP".

I would be curious to compare with the GSX 1000 which I hear is even better again, but I've seen differing results in examples around the internet dependant on source and content.

Killing Floor 2 sounds great, Prey has sound issues and sounded messed up. (Patch incoming very soon for it, hopefully will address this.)

It almost adds some more dynamic spark to content, best heard in a very quiet area otherwise you turn the volume up to hear little details and then have voices and other sharp sounds shout at you.

I only wish it had as much bass as the Dolby Headphone DSP gives you, this seems to retain pretty much the same if not a tiny boost of bass to the original stereo amount, which is great for clarity but detracts from only some movies / YT videos where impact is important.
I have gotten quite a bit more used to it already though since last night.

Still not sure for a final verdict, but I am certain is has many benefits, the sound can sometimes throw me off because I'm used to my older DSP where this one appears to create a bit more depth and better imaging which kind of sounds weird to me expecting to hear things differently as I have over years and years.

I'd love someone else to try it and speak to me about their thoughts, I feel a little like a snake oil salesman because it sounds too good to be true, but I'm having fantastic luck with the way it's transforming my experiences from Dolby Headphone.
Could also be that SBX and other newer DSP's work similiar to Atmos and I'm just too far behind the times I'm excited over what's considered normal these days, haha.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #3,794 of 8,051
I was initially excited about Dolby Atmos for headphones and so I dropped the $15 right away, since I have an Atmos 7.2.4 home theater and absolutely love it. I only tried it with my Fostex Mk3s, but I really hated it with music. It totally killed the higher frequencies. I must say that the positional effects on the demo material was pretty awesome though, despite the tonal balance being suboptimal.

May 10, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #3,795 of 8,051
It works pretty well with my Magni v1. It adds some brightness which may be a good or bad thing depending on your taste. That's probably the best pairing I have (I don't have a very large selection of amps, though). The biggest annoyance is that, because they are so easy to drive, I only have from 8 o'clock to 9 o'clock as usable volume play. I'm thinking of picking up the ifi iCAN next month as my end-game-drive-everything amp next month. The 0 db gain setting would be nice for the M1060.

I know this isn't particularly helpful, but I thought I would throw my opinion out there.

Yeah I understand, I have had the schiit magni and vali but other than that I have not owned any of there other amps. I have had some good mid-level amps with the Pan Am being pretty close the high-end that I have currently. The nfb 28 discrete amplifier is also something I would consider the higher mid-level amplifier and and I have had decent experience with amplifiers but would like to work at getting I am game amplifier for both my planar magnetic my iems and my Dynamic headphones. Granted Alo Pan Am does Drive everything I own right now well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back