Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 3, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #3,541 of 8,051
ha, yes, I was about to say that I could send you my spare focuspads without the rings, which are mutilated as i removed them (for use on the pleather HM5's, which I no longer own). i even tried to glue the rings back on, but it was more trouble than its worth.

I appreciate the offer, but yeah they aren't exactly usable without surgery for anyone so I don't think they are going to end up a useful choice. I have a Audeze Leather, along side Pleather and Cowhide ZMF pads incoming from a friend and will update when I can measure I may order a pair or two of different BrainWavz(angled velour & Hybrid) Next week to try.

May 3, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #3,542 of 8,051
@macky112: There were previous posters claiming the oval shaped HM5 pads can't completely cover the driver and there is no way you can stretch and cover them over the drivers.
i'll have to MacGyver (the OG, not the reboot) it, or MrTie84 it, @MrTie84 manage to get decent results on his HM5 Pleather angeled pads.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #3,543 of 8,051
Hi guys,

I have ordered a pair of ref.2, boarded the hype train! But $65-80USD for a pair of pads is a little beyond me. With shipping to Malaysia a pair would cost close to $100USD which is slightly beyond sanity. I would like to try out @cskippy's mod but wish to cheap out on pads expenditure, here's what I found on Aliexpress - A pair of Hifiman Velour pads for $15 shipping included. Opinions?

( Velour Velvet Replacement Cushion ear pads earpads cover pillow For HIFIMAN HE300 HE400 HE500 HE560 HE4 HE6 HE5 HE5LE Headphones
http://s.aliexpress.com/EfIJRfim )

I found these on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-Vel...014128?hash=item3d38be8170:g:58sAAOSwWWxY-HMT

May 3, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #3,544 of 8,051
I don't own the velours, I MAY buy them eventually, but I'm honestly more interested in testing the angled hybrid or a focuspad/A first. The Angled velour will prob measure a good deal different than the vegan. Velour is def different than micro-suede, the Hm5 are also smaller pads and squishier than the vegans. the HM5 may block the driver outlet a tiny tiny bit at the top and bottom. My advice for the moment is stick to stock or go vegan, unless you want to play around. I am still enjoying the more lively sound signature of the Pleather HM5 though, but pleather feels gross to me. If any one has like any spare pads they would like measured I would be very happy to do so to collect a body of information in the thread, and would ship them back promptly.
if I follow @cskippy 's reasoning correctly, the reason to swap for vegan pads is to reduce the internal/chamber reflection that messes up the higher frequencies from the stock pleather.

However, @MrTie84 discovered the smaller pleather chamber of the angled HM5 pads also smoothed out the higher frequencies (less spikes/dips)

now my reasoning, between perforated pleather (hm5 hybrids) and velour, I think velour is closer to microsuede, so basically, going the angled velour HM5 pads gets the benefits of both cskippy (less reflective surface) and mrtie84's (smaller chamber) theories XD

and FWIW, I added a 3" disc of plain copy paper (your typical office letter sized copying paper) behind the 3" paper towel disc, and yuck, that made sound more closed and echo-y.

then I tried two 3" paper towel discs per each driver, and it gives similar result to adding the extra copy paper disc, tho not as crazy.

so I'll settle the just one 3" paper towel disc for now, all hail @cskippy !

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #3,545 of 8,051
Quick photo with flash on the HM5 Pleather, the majority of the driver is not covered except the corners at the very top and bottom.

2a.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,546 of 8,051
Quick correction @macky112 , the Angled Pleather HM5 does not smooth out the treble much without more damping than stock. What I found in listening was that seems promising to me is more impact bass and a sense of liveliness in the treble. Which may to due to better sealing and internal reflection from the pleather material. I must continue to state that I'm basically just playing around a lot with this driver and dumping the info as I measure, I haven't even settled on anything myself yet. Cskippy's suggestions are a sound improvement over stock if you want a more natural sound from the M1060.

May 3, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #3,548 of 8,051
Thanks. I'm planning to get these very soon. Having a hard time justifying the $70 pads. $20 it would be a no brainer. Think I'll try the paper towel mod first. Then get the Vegan pads sometime down the road if not happy with the sound/comfort. Wonder if there are some cheaper pad alternatives out there that no one has tried yet? Time will tell I guess.

Just think of them as $359 headphones ... and well worth it.

May 3, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,549 of 8,051
Quick correction @macky112 , the Angled Pleather HM5 does not smooth out the treble much without more damping than stock. What I found in listening was that seems promising to me is more impact bass and a sense of liveliness in the treble. Which may to due to better sealing and internal reflection from the pleather material. I must continue to state that I'm basically just playing around a lot with this driver and dumping the info as I measure, I haven't even settled on anything myself yet. Cskippy's suggestions are a sound improvement over stock if you want a more natural sound from the M1060.
thank you for the clarification!

May 3, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,550 of 8,051
Just ordered the M1060 and jump on the hype train. This will be my first planar so fingers crossed, hope it will give me that eargasm.

Will be powering it with topping D30/A30, I hope there's no issue otherwise shipping it back to the states will be a headache.

May 3, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #3,551 of 8,051
Just think of them as $359 headphones ... and well worth it.
agreed, but I have to pay CA tax, which is about $25, plus $8 shipping, and now add in the Vegans, overall is pushing $400, which is TH-X00 territory, and I love meself a closed back base cannon!

May 3, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,554 of 8,051
Well, adding to what everyone has already said who have tried it, I still recommend Audeze Leather Free pads plus 3" paper towel as a standout natural sound with great bass, clarity, all while being fatigue free.

I have tried almost all of the pads on hand here are some more I tired on a stock M1060, no extra mods:

(IMO, none of these are as good as Audeze pads w paper towel)

Beyer DT880 pads
9933030_l.png

Dekoni Elite Sheepskin DT Series pads:
9933031_l.png

Hifiman Pleather pads:
9933032_l.png

Hifiman Velour Pads
9933033_l.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back