Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 3, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3,556 of 8,051
@cskippy and others who own this and the HD 650...I'll be making my order for the M1060's this week, with the vegan pads to soon follow after. Would I have any reason to look at the HD 650 after this purchase or not? If not this will be my one and only open back headphone for some time. Looking for just 3 - 5 killer headphone purchases...(Already ordered MrSpeakers Aeon, Fostex TH-X00, and will be ordering the M1060 this week). Heard from the grapevine that the HD 650's are terrible for listening to rock music, which is what I mainly listen to, among other high energy types of music, and not much for the soft genres, though I do like to listen to music with great vocals such as Adele...which I'm also told the HD 650's are king with vocals...A little help please...

I have both the HD600's and M1060 V2' ... Very different cans. If I HAD to live with only one ... the 600's. Much more versatile across genres for me. I use the 1060's for funk and groove. Rock I tend towards the 600's. Never heard the 650's, but I think the 600 sig. is much closer than the 1060's ... for what it's worth. Once again ... source, file type, previous cans, dac, amp, etc ... all being 'equal'.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #3,557 of 8,051
Mine arrived today, I have them on now as I type. I am driving them with a Mojo hooked to my computer. Hmmmm. They certainly warm my head. I was wondering if anyone has tried making a ring of the pleather and sticking it inside the the pads that come with the phones. If internal reflections are issue that would be a cheap enough test. :wink:

May 3, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #3,558 of 8,051
That doesn't typically work with my experience. You can't overcome the solid nature of the pleather with a piece of felt or other absorbent material just covering it. The density of the foam, the size and shape of the opening all have an effect on the frequency response.

This is the same issue that people tried to do with the Sennheiser HD650 pads. They didn't want to buy the official pads and instead used Brainwavz alternatives, which all change the frequency response for the worse on the HD650.

May 3, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #3,559 of 8,051
Got my 1060s today, about an hour into my first listen, impressed so far. The 1/4 adapter that came with them was bad though. I think someone else had that issue

May 3, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #3,560 of 8,051
Got my 1060s today, about an hour into my first listen, impressed so far. The 1/4 adapter that came with them was bad though. I think someone else had that issue

That was me! What it do to your sound? It made mine like a weird mono that removed all of the sound stage.
This is what I originally said about it.

"Also, the 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter that Monoprice sent with the M1060 V2 is absolute garbage (at least mine is). It turns the stereo signal into a single mono image. Both left and right are represented but it's all in the exact center. It took me a good 15 minutes to figure out that it was the adapter causing the problem and not my headphones/amp/computer/etc. I could have just gotten a bad one but it certainly seems like a very poorly designed adapter."

May 3, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #3,561 of 8,051
I'm loving my M1060s so far- I've been meaning to get a GOOD pair of headphones for a few years, but I just never took the plunge until now!
Along those lines, I'm still listening through my Soundblaster Omni Surround external USB soundcard (which does have an amp built in)- but looking into maybe upgrading to a more dedicated dac/amp.

Would the Fulla 2 be a good choice for these, or would they greatly benefit from something with a more powerful amp? Any suggestions for a DAC/Amp setup that has a separate output for speakers in the $1-400 range for the M1060s?

May 3, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #3,562 of 8,051
That was me! What it do to your sound? It made mine like a weird mono that removed all of the sound stage.
This is what I originally said about it.

"Also, the 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter that Monoprice sent with the M1060 V2 is absolute garbage (at least mine is). It turns the stereo signal into a single mono image. Both left and right are represented but it's all in the exact center. It took me a good 15 minutes to figure out that it was the adapter causing the problem and not my headphones/amp/computer/etc. I could have just gotten a bad one but it certainly seems like a very poorly designed adapter."

That's exactly what it sounded like

May 3, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #3,563 of 8,051
If you thought the TH-X00s are large, you should see the M1060s
20170502_220804_HDR.jpg
Strange rack fellows :)

20170502_221340_HDR.jpg

May 3, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #3,564 of 8,051
Just got my M1060 rev A set today, plus looks like my original RMA was refunded! I had previously opened it up to add the paper mod + added audeze pads to it. I returned it back to stock for those curious about warranty. YMMV of course.

Anyway, ran some quick measurements right out of the box.

xNXO9Zq.jpg

Purple is Revision A STOCK

Yellow is Original version with my Full City Roast mod (Audeze Leather-Free Brown pads + 3 inch diameter Hario Brown Filter (modified cskippy mod))

Red is Rev A with the same Full City Roast mod using same exact filter cut out.

Don't know if burn in makes any difference, but I'll measure after several hours of play time.

As far as the new things:
The new connectors are A LOT better. The cable is nice with a better length now, though I was getting used to the 4 footer. I would be interested in seeing what other cables would work with these.

The inner cup is treated now. It looks like they stained and sealed it fully now.

The grills are smoother. I think the original looks better and the sharp edges werent too bad on my set. I had filed it down a tad too with sand paper.

It also looks like screw holes "feel" better. On the original version, I had unscrewed mine and re-attached the fasteners several times so they had come loose and I had to use wood putty to fill in the holes.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #3,565 of 8,051
WARNING: Do not do this you will void your warranty and it's also prob not worth while and it's a pain in the butt.

So....the stock pleather pads inner section is the same size as the vegans....
pleather vegan.jpg

Stock=Red, Peach=Vegan, Blue= Vegan/pleather hybrid. I'm most likely not going to bother doing the second pad, this is held in with double sided tape as measured.

May 3, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #3,567 of 8,051
@MrTie84 - I updated the graphic to 1/24 for you.

I'm not sure what's going on with the rev A stock measurement. I did it quickly and then changed out the pads. It does look a little odd - I dont think it's really that dark sounding.

There's a slightly larger spike on the modded Revision at 4-5K, much like you'd get stock. I'll see if "burn-in" does anything.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #3,568 of 8,051
I'm loving my M1060s so far- I've been meaning to get a GOOD pair of headphones for a few years, but I just never took the plunge until now!
Along those lines, I'm still listening through my Soundblaster Omni Surround external USB soundcard (which does have an amp built in)- but looking into maybe upgrading to a more dedicated dac/amp.

Would the Fulla 2 be a good choice for these, or would they greatly benefit from something with a more powerful amp? Any suggestions for a DAC/Amp setup that has a separate output for speakers in the $1-400 range for the M1060s?

I'm using this ... fantastic combo for my taste ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/CEntrance-D...344182?hash=item1a29cb60f6:g:okwAAOSwj25Y8KnJ
Great reviews and a great price on a $200 MSRP (but no preamp out) Maybe the NFB-11 ??

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #3,569 of 8,051
(1) do not even listen to the headphones until a 24-hour burn-in (put your music library on shuffle at decent volume and walk away), and then (2) listen to them stock and/or see what you can do via equalization.
Yes and yes. I'm actually resting most of my hopes on equalization, which is about as free as burn-in (I have ViPER4Android, which allows the application of parametric-like equalization via pre-equalized impulse responses, with system-wide effects). While physical mods may or may not help with the exact problems you're trying them for, there's not much that can't be solved with careful equalization once you've got this capable a driver to work with. (Maybe the resonant 5k peak will be a problem, since resonance is also a time-domain problem, not just a frequency-domain one, and the true solution for it would be something like a narrow-band compressor, but I'll see when I get to play with it.)

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #3,570 of 8,051
Does someone have a good source for a balanced cable for the M1060 rev. 2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back