Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 2, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #3,451 of 8,051
I got my Vegans today and I also stopped on my way home from work at the dollar store and picked up some black party napkins. I replaced my white paper towels with 2 layer, 3 inch circles of the black napkin. Tested it before I swapped the pads and it seems to reduce the shout in the mids a little compared to paper towels. I also felt the bass had a little more weight behind it although I could be imagining that bit.

I swapped pads. Comfort 10/10! Better, more impactful bass. Sharpened treble and that shouty, unnatural mids are gone! Sound totally "natural" now. As in, it sounds much more like I'm listening to the live instrument. I can finally use these to listen to metal now because the guitar and vocals aren't smashing against all of the other frequencies. @cskippy was dead on. Bravo, sir!

If you aren't picking the vegans up with the M1060 you are missing out. Don't look at these as $300 good headphones, look at these as $365 awesome headphones. Doesn't seem so bad now, does it? :o2smile:

M1060-Small-8.jpg

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #3,452 of 8,051
I got my Vegans today and I also stopped on my home from work at the dollar store and picked up some black party napkins. I replaced my white paper towels with 2 layer, 3 inch circles of the black napkin. Tested it before I swapped the pads and it seems to reduce the shout in the mids a little compared to paper towels. I also felt the bass had a little more weight behind it although I could be imagining that bit.

I swapped pads. Comfort 10/10! Better, more impactful bass. Sharpened treble and that shouty, ringing, unnatural 4k~6kish mids are gone! Sound totally "natural" now. As in, it sounds much more like I'm listening to the live instrument. I can finally use these to listen to metal now because the guitar and vocals aren't smashing against all of the other frequencies. @cskippy was dead on. Bravo, sir!

If you aren't picking the vegans up with the M1060 you are missing out. Don't look at these as $300 good headphones, look at these as $365 awesome headphones. Doesn't seem so bad now, does it? :o2smile:

Nice impressions!

I went from cskippy's paper towel suggestion to using 2 napkin layers behind each grill and can confirm I noticed the same difference, it makes sense since you would think the 2 napkin layers are a little thicker than the paper towel and therefore give an improved / extra effect on what the paper towel was already doing.

Can't wait for my vegans, they have just been sitting at Audeze and haven't even been sent out yet, get on it Audeze! Even though everyone is describing the difference I just can't imagine it because these already sound so much better with the napkins, very keen.

May 2, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #3,455 of 8,051
HD600 isn't a good headphone for referencing bass performance. In addition, the upper midrange is kinda shouty, but the overall balance of midrange and treble is good though.

No disagreement with your comment on HD600 profile. Yet I would characterize these weaknesses as minor in comparison with the deviations the M1060 exhibits. As for the bass performance of the HD600, I tend to prefer an overly lean/tight and tuneful bass. The slightest bit of bloat of muddiness bugs me probably too much, but that is a person bias. Upper midrange is too forward. But M1060 is lost in this range entirely. Consequently, major difference night/day between the two.

May 2, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #3,457 of 8,051
There really isn't ringing. It might be peaky stock, but mods fix that. The "ringing" is an ortho wall, which exists in all planars to varying degrees. Modded does fix the peaks and reduces the ortho wall some as well.

May 2, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #3,459 of 8,051
From what I read here the vegan pads seem to be a worth upgrade. Problem is, that where I live (Switzerland) I can only get them in brown and they cost about 140 USD. Do you think this is still worth it? If I would invest this plus the expensive shipping (80) and taxes/toll (don't even know yet how much - they arrive tomorrow) the bargain aspect of the M1060 would be kind of ruined ^^.

Does someone have the vegan pads in brown and pictures of it on the M1060?

May 2, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #3,461 of 8,051
Mine should arrive today or tomorrow. Would someone kindly PM me the link to these Vegan Pads? Pretty please?

May 2, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #3,463 of 8,051
I'm actually really enjoying the HM5 pleather pad ATM which has surprised me, it's doing a couple things I cannot fully explain when looking at the measurements, I think there is some benefit to the slightly more restrictive ear cavity. I figured it would mostly behave like the stock pad given they are both squishy pleather angled pads but it doesn't at all. It measures like it should be dark but it doesn't sound dark and it has greater bass impact, yet is measures as flat as the vegan under 1khz...I'm kinda at a loss here. This shouldn't sound livelier or more impact, but it does to my ear.

Stock=Green, Blue=Cskippy, Peach=HM5(with different rear damping)
SvCvH.jpg

Waterfalls:
Stock
StockWF52.jpg

Cskippy
CskippyWF52.jpg

HM5+Rear damping
HM5WF.jpg

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #3,465 of 8,051
I'm actually really enjoying the HM5 pleather pad ATM which has surprised me, it's doing a couple things I cannot fully explain when looking at the measurements

Intriguing stuff, especially since the HM5's are like a monoprice bargain compared to the Audeze vegans. Makes me wonder how well the non-pleather Brainwavz pads do.

Could you could post pics on how those oval HM5 pads sit on your 1060's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back