Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 1, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #3,421 of 8,051
I just got done applying the paper towel mod to mine, no audeze pads (I think paying 70 in pads for 300 dollar headphones is dumb.)

I don't have two units here to directly a/b with one another, but rough memory tells me the paper towels added take away some shout around 1.5-2k, making the midrange warmer with more emphasis on lower midrange and bass. Some people might prefer more energy around 2k, but I definitely prefer this.

Excess energy around 5k remains unaffected.

May 1, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #3,422 of 8,051
I just got done applying the paper towel mod to mine, no audeze pads (I think paying 70 in pads for 300 dollar headphones is dumb.)

I don't have two units here to directly a/b with one another, but rough memory tells me the paper towels added take away some shout around 1.5-2k, making the midrange warmer with more emphasis on lower midrange and bass. Some people might prefer more energy around 2k, but I definitely prefer this.

Excess energy around 5k remains unaffected.

Thanks. I'm planning to get these very soon. Having a hard time justifying the $70 pads. $20 it would be a no brainer. Think I'll try the paper towel mod first. Then get the Vegan pads sometime down the road if not happy with the sound/comfort. Wonder if there are some cheaper pad alternatives out there that no one has tried yet? Time will tell I guess.

May 1, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,425 of 8,051
Just wanted to say, I pretty much agree with your assessment. I think the M1060 is closer in overall quality to PH than you seem to, but yes, I enjoy my Purplehearts more. Especially with ZMF pads and Lawton kit installed :) I don't have an attenuator ring in mine yet, but I intend to rectify that as soon as I can.

When it comes to price, M1060 is a freakin' steal at $300, IMO. Purplehearts are a good deal at their $450 price, but (besides the absolutely gorgeous wood cups), you're not getting 150% of what M1060 brings.

My Purplehearts were the basshead pairing counterpart to my Stax before I purchased M1060; and they still are. I'm in no way sorry I purchased M1060 however, I do love them for what they are and they're too good a deal to pass up!

*edit* @VRacer-111 also, I haven't gotten around to it, but the last step of my Purpleheart mods will be to try the EZ Mods.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...re-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles.802704/

The attenuator plate really changes the bass in a major way on the TH-X00...and this is a custom half plate for the rear portion of the pad stuffed into the inside bottom area, made from a file drawer hanging file folder. I was referencing what was shown a while back in the TH-X00 thread to make it. The rear portion only won't affect the mids and treble like the full Fostex style donut attenuator, so you get enhanced bass and keep the detailed slightly more forward mids and highs...win-win. Easy thing to try, just get a manila folder and cut shape that will fit underneath the rear thick portion of the cup and insert it in the bottom of the earpad between the pad and fabric driver cover. I can take a picture later tonight and pm you. Still need to experiment more with different shapes and material to see how the sound can be tuned, but this first go basically floored me, and it was done after the Lawton Tune-up. Cannot go back to the bare pads without attenuator...

Would be interesting to try the same thing with the M1060 since they are pretty bass light in comparison to my TH-X00. I do like the M1060 but realize their purpose is different for me than the TH-X00. If I want to hear detail and do comparisons on equipment they currently would be my go to cans. For music listening and enjoyment the TH-X00 PH's are my automatic go to cans because they have nearly the detail of the M1060, but absolutely transport you into an incredible experience of the song... you're are not just listening to music being played. And that other-worldly bass presentation...

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #3,426 of 8,051
Would be a great service to find a $20 comparable microsuede earpad over the Audeze ones. Made me sick to my stomach to pay $62 for them, but it really does refine the sound that little bit extra. The paper towel, pads, and balanced cables make these giant killers. Never been happier with headphones before.

May 1, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,427 of 8,051
with all of the build QC issues, has anyone wondered how much of the Sound Quality QC issue may be in existence?

I can't help but feel with some very different opinions in regards to sound in the past few pages: some think bass is flat, some think it sounds dark, some think treble is good, some (I) think treble is a bit too rolled off and the mids are recessed.

I am aware that these very different impressions could be different degree of mods everyone performed on their M1060. But I am still curious if the "Monoprice" QC has affected SQ at all.

Does anybody has gotten more than one pair that can chime in? (doesnt have to be from the same revision, I am just curious if sound between two pairs are vastly different)

May 1, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #3,429 of 8,051
Would be a great service to find a $20 comparable microsuede earpad over the Audeze ones. Made me sick to my stomach to pay $62 for them, but it really does refine the sound that little bit extra. The paper towel, pads, and balanced cables make these giant killers. Never been happier with headphones before.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGFVEUE?psc=1

if I get a wild hair up my ass i might try these and measure them, but I really like the vegans, so it prob won't be for a bit.

May 1, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #3,430 of 8,051
Green=Stock, Pink=My current mods, Blue= Brain waves HM5 pleather which I had laying around. Curious how the velour HM5 would measure now. They are a bit too small for the can though and look silly.
HM5M1060.jpg

May 1, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #3,431 of 8,051
Just measurebating here, no clue how it sounds yet, but some interesting results with the HM5 pleather thus far.

Green=Stock, Blue=HM5 Pleather, Yellow=HM5 Pleather with a felt ring adhered to the bottom of the inner pad, and a hifiman ring to keep more rigid/spread.

HM5feltring.jpg

May 1, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #3,432 of 8,051
for measuring headphone FR, is there something DIY that's simple and cheap I can try?

I dont need super accuracy or anything, just want to compare the headphones I can get my hands on, how they compare relative to each other, that's all

May 1, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #3,433 of 8,051
Do you happen to own an AVR with an audyssey measuring mic? I'm actuallying using that in a flatplater coupler and it's pretty good, though my sub3ohz is whackey and my 10khz+ seem a few db down from people using better calibrated mics.

May 1, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #3,434 of 8,051
Green=Stock, Pink=My current mods, Blue= Brain waves HM5 pleather which I had laying around. Curious how the velour HM5 would measure now. They are a bit too small for the can though and look silly.
if I am understanding @cskippy 's explanation right, the reason for going with microsuede is to reduce the internal FR reflections due to pleather, so my guess is the HM5 pleather pads create a even smaller space for those high frequency reflections.

but I am really curious about the Brainwavez velour pads tho, (i know they are gonna look funny on the M1060 due to size...) because I just dont have the budget right now for a $65 upgrade >_<

May 1, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #3,435 of 8,051
with all of the build QC issues, has anyone wondered how much of the Sound Quality QC issue may be in existence?

I can't help but feel with some very different opinions in regards to sound in the past few pages: some think bass is flat, some think it sounds dark, some think treble is good, some (I) think treble is a bit too rolled off and the mids are recessed.

I am aware that these very different impressions could be different degree of mods everyone performed on their M1060. But I am still curious if the "Monoprice" QC has affected SQ at all.

Does anybody has gotten more than one pair that can chime in? (doesnt have to be from the same revision, I am just curious if sound between two pairs are vastly different)

Most likely just down to personal subjective impressions.

If you coming from the TH-X00 most headphones will sound bass light. If you used to bright headphones something well balanced may sound dark.

I remember every other headphones I owned sounding lean after listening the the Beats Solo 2 I used to own, even headphones I thought where bassy prior. The Beats stole all bass from my other headphones, that rascal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back