Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 27, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,242 of 8,051
got my new m1060 today. a little disappointed about its dark and DULL sound comparing to my LCD2 and h400i.
I felt m1060 has less clarity in vocal, less separation of instruments and smaller soundstage.
I really wish m1060 has more sparkle at high frequency.
The metal string of guitars on my LCD2 and H400i just sound more real because of better dynamics and clarity in hight notes.
will give it more time to open up the sound and try the paper towel mod later.
Like what some people have said, I would consider burning them in more if you haven't done so already. I haven't seen a "dramatic" difference on mine after burn-in like other...well, my definition of this difference is compared with regular dynamic drivers, but things still sound different. I'm not sure what you mean by dull, but I think I know what you're talking about. Unlike many people here doing the mods, I actually prefer a tiny bit of sparkle to my highs and don't care too much for the boomy bass. Another way of putting it, I enjoy the sound signature of HD800/800s a bit more. So what I did was removed the sponge pad and took that thin piece of cloth you see sandwiched between the keyboard and screen when you buy a new laptop and glued that on the inner grill. It now has a slightly better sense of sound stage and adds a bit more brightness to the treble, in the 5-8K region (I think...i don't have any hardware to measure) and now, to me, sounds more like a refined he560. I already know that this mod probably will not be like by many since a few of my friends complain it's too bright but if I'm right with what I think you're saying, after breaking it in, if things don't change for you, try removing the sponge pad out and take a listen and see how you like it. One more thing I forgot to add. Amps used, at least among what I have, can make a noticeable change, I primarily use my HA-2 with the M1060 for the sound I've come to enjoy over the past couple of months.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #3,243 of 8,051
Wasn't a fan of the M560, but was impressed by the sound of the M1060. If you'd like to check out my video review on these I'll link below, maybe some will find the impressions useful.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #3,244 of 8,051
Anyone know if a balanced cable exists for the new 2.5mm connectors? Having a very hard time finding one compared to MMCX.

There is a very noticeable difference running these balanced vs. single ended on an amp that can do it.

Just look for balanced cable for the Sennheiser HD 700, should be fairly easy to find

https://www.surfcables.com/products/sennheiser-hd700-headphone-cables?variant=1254746879

The M1060 v2's use a standard flush 2.5mm connector where the HD700's use an extended 2.5mm connector. So as long as you don't mind the connector not being flush any HD700 connector with a balanced cable will work.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #3,245 of 8,051
Just wondering what pairing preferences are out there in general. Tube or SS ?? (not cheapos and not really high end. 'mid-fi'?)
Anyone?

If you go tubes you should probably do hybrid tubes. The output impedance for tube amps is usually pretty high which is a no-no for low impedance cans like the M1060. From what I've read the output impedance should be 10x lower than the headphone impedance (e.g. amp with 10 ohm output impedance shouldn't be use with less than 100 ohm cans). I have a Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp and it has an output impedance of 20 ohm so it's a no go for all of my planars even though the volume is plenty loud. The difference is subtle but it doesn't sound quite as good when the output impedance is too high for the headphone.

I've personally used my M1060 on my Magni (v1) and it works well with it. I also listened to my e10k. Volume was fine but I didn't listen long enough on that amp to give a definitive "yes" or "no." The M1060 is super easy to drive so high gain amps can be a problem. My Magni, for instance, only the has from 7 o'clock to 9 o'clock of usable volume play with the M1060, which is annoying. I would like more volume flexibility. Because of that I'm thinking of getting the ifi iCAN SE since it has 3 gain settings and 4 watts output (into 32 ohm). Super versatile. It lists for $300, so I don't know if that's considered mid-fi or not. It's not a super accurate amp, though. The O2 amp is a good choice if you are looking for accuracy. This is all speculation since I haven't heard the iCAN or the O2.

Hopefully that helps narrow it down a little bit. Good luck! :o2smile:

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #3,246 of 8,051
Wasn't a fan of the M560, but was impressed by the sound of the M1060. If you'd like to check out my video review on these I'll link below, maybe some will find the impressions useful.

Good review! Maybe you should add in the thumbnail that the V2 comes with the 2.5m plugs so no need to mod.

got my new m1060 today. a little disappointed about its dark and DULL sound comparing to my LCD2 and h400i.
I felt m1060 has less clarity in vocal, less separation of instruments and smaller soundstage.
I really wish m1060 has more sparkle at high frequency.
The metal string of guitars on my LCD2 and H400i just sound more real because of better dynamics and clarity in hight notes.
will give it more time to open up the sound and try the paper towel mod later.

Funny you mentioned this, I can't relate to the lack of clarity or "less seperation" but the soundstage with some burnin seems to improve quite a bit! Yesterday when I was listening I felt the width and depth grew by a sizable degree, before, the soundstage sounded a little in your face but still holograhic, now it sounds more enjoyable; especially with the Vegan pads.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #3,247 of 8,051
If you go tubes you should probably do hybrid tubes. The output impedance for tube amps is usually pretty high which is a no-no for low impedance cans like the M1060. From what I've read the output impedance should be 10x lower than the headphone impedance (e.g. amp with 10 ohm output impedance shouldn't be use with less than 100 ohm cans). I have a Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp and it has an output impedance of 20 ohm so it's a no go for all of my planars even though the volume is plenty loud. The difference is subtle but it doesn't sound quite as good when the output impedance is too high for the headphone...
While it's best to keep output impedance less than 1/8th the headphone impedance, This rule should does not apply directly to Planar Magnetic headphones because they are a purely resistive load and do not have any impedance peaks in the lower frequencies. This means that higher output impedance will not effectively "EQ" the PMs the same way it does for dynamics.
Also tube amps usually can't supply the current needed for impedance planar magnetics, so yes hybrids should be better.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3,248 of 8,051
While it's best to keep output impedance less than 1/8th the headphone impedance, This rule should does not apply directly to Planar Magnetic headphones because they are a purely resistive load and do not have any impedance peaks in the lower frequencies. This means that higher output impedance will not effectively "EQ" the PMs the same way it does for dynamics.
Also tube amps usually can't supply the current needed for impedance planar magnetics, so yes hybrids should be better.

Oops! I feel sheepish now. Thanks for the information! I totally didn't know that the output impedance rule only really applied to dynamics. So I guess I gave the right advice for the wrong reason? Haha!

The more you know....

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #3,249 of 8,051
@cskippy

I have some questions..

I have been playing and listening to my M1060 stock today, received it earlier this afternoon, it's been about 5 hours now and I'm quite enjoying the sound and am curious how the mods affect the sound as the Vegan Pads will cost me $120.00 to get to me in Australia.

Since you modded have you got any latest revisions on the mods?

What do the vegan pads do for the sound signature?

What does the paper towel do for the sound signature?
(From what I can see it adds a smidge more low end and straightens out the highs a bit?)

Black paper towels wouldn't effect the mod given changes possibly in the fibres?
(I'm probably thinking too indepth now, lol..)

Cheers.

I received my V2 yesterday and I am going to burn it in for 48 hours (tucked away under a pillow and 3 winter coats, playing bass heavy music at slightly above my listening comfort level), after that 48 hours burn in, I will do the paper towel mod to one side of the drivers and compare the difference and then report back for those that're curious

don't have the budget for the vegan pads yet, those will have to come later.

edit: I tried the M1060 on my iphone 7 with that 3.5mm jack dongle and the volume coming through the M1060 is acceptable, I can't speak for bass/treble/dynamics or anything, just purely in terms of volume, Apple 3.5mm dongle is acceptable!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #3,250 of 8,051
I know that Hifiman uses 2.5mm TRS plugs, rather than TS plugs, but the question would be whether they're actually wired as stereo. I think people have used Hifiman cables with the Nighthawks, which also come with a 2 x 2.5mm TS cable like the M1060s, so I suspect you might be fine using a Hifiman cable

Perfectly fine to use hifiman 2.5mm TRS plug. Hifiman isn't using the second ring. As in, only the tip and barrel is wired. They use TRS because they can order that in bulk cheaper.

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #3,251 of 8,051
@cskippy
Since you modded have you got any latest revisions on the mods?

What do the vegan pads do for the sound signature?

What does the paper towel do for the sound signature?
(From what I can see it adds a smidge more low end and straightens out the highs a bit?)

Black paper towels wouldn't effect the mod given changes possibly in the fibres?

Cheers.
I haven't changed anything since my original mod. I'm still very pleased with it. I wrote this for someone else but thought it answered your questions:

M1060 is an Audeze clone, I think LCD-3F. Stock form is not bad, but has a couple short coming. The mid range, 1kHz, is pushed up a little too much making vocals sound shouty, and reverb come forward unnaturally so. The treble is nicely rolled off but has to many peaks and dips, a consequence of the leather pads and internal grill structure. Changing the pads to the Audeze Velour Leather Free pads helps lower the 1kHz bump and smooths out some of the treble. Compared to stock, the clarity and resolution is greatly improved due to less internal reflections. They might seem dark to some, and they were for me. I wanted a little more sub bass and treble, so I added a 3 inch paper towel underneath the back grill on top of the existing foam. This further reduces the 1kHz bump and raises the sub bass and treble. They now have a nice downward tilting frequency response with no harsh peaks. The imaging for gaming is second to none, especially with surround sound processing such as Creative SBX. My only issues are the slight veiled sound, like it's coming from behind a layer of cloth, there is excellent clarity and definition, just the sound doesn't seem as immediate as the TH-X00 or HD650. Don't get this confused with transient response as it is still quite good. I think it has to do with the grill design they use. I haven't had any problems with my pair, although others have had wood crack, bad connectors/cables, and the strap come undone.

M1060 modded would be my vote because they provide a similar level of bass as the TH-X00 but with a more reference and open sound, no boomy sounds here. They have a slightly less forward midrange, lower treble compared to HD650, which I also prefer. The treble is smoother than the TH-X00, almost as smooth as the HD650 but also has more air or extension in the last octave compared to HD650 which is lacking in this regard.

The M1060 is also the easiest to drive, which is a huge plus. It works just fine from a smart phone or DAP. It's one other weakness is the short cable, which can be nice but usually snag mine, so I'll be getting a longer balanced cable.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #3,252 of 8,051
All you need to worry about is how porous/absorbent the paper is. Sometimes colorful party/decorative towels or paper napkins tend to be a bit glossy at the surface and not very good at absorbing moisture. Those might have effects extending downward in frequency a bit and changing your midrange as well - kind of like the coffee filters some have tried in headphone mods - compared to the really absorbent 2-ply or 3-ply paper towels or toilet paper, which will mostly affect just the treble.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,253 of 8,051
All you need to worry about is how porous/absorbent the paper is. Sometimes colorful party/decorative towels or paper napkins tend to be a bit glossy at the surface and not very good at absorbing moisture. Those might have effects extending downward in frequency a bit and changing your midrange as well - kind of like the coffee filters some have tried in headphone mods - compared to the really absorbent 2-ply or 3-ply paper towels or toilet paper, which will mostly affect just the treble.

so is it:
the more porous/breathey, the higher the frequency it reflects?
the more dense/less breathey, the lower the frequency it reflects (inclusive of higher frequency of course)?

thanks

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,254 of 8,051
More like pore size tells you which frequencies the material will interact with the most. Small pores -> short wavelengths -> high frequencies. In principle the interaction when passing through pores is one of dispersion/scattering for wavelengths close to the pore size, while for every other wavelength it depends on how soft or hard the material is - the harder, the more you will see reflection instead of absorption. In this case it seems for paper towels the pores are small enough and the fibers stiff enough for reflecting back just the right section of the highs we want more of coming toward the ear in the M1060.

But this is all very simplified and based on my intuition about physics and some modding results I've seen, I'm sure there's much more to acoustic materials science than this. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back