Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 27, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #3,271 of 8,051
Bad news. At least for those considering making their own headband strap. With the v2 of the M1060 to prevent the headband from sliding out they have riveted the headband to the metal slider making it impossible to swap out the headband strap without destroying the original strap. The stock strap gives me a hot spot on top of my head so this is a big bummer for me. :triportsad:

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #3,272 of 8,051
Bad news. At least for those considering making their own headband strap. With the v2 of the M1060 to prevent the headband from sliding out they have riveted the headband to the metal slider making it impossible to swap out the headband strap without destroying the original strap. The stock strap gives me a hot spot on top of my head so this is a big bummer for me. :triportsad:

Damn, that's a shame I'm sorry to hear!

If it's any consolation, many people (including me) can rejoice in knowing that their headband will not be coming apart on this model. (As most of us are going to be hopeful and not open up our headphones and look for the changes, haha)

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #3,273 of 8,051
On a side note, likely an incredibly stupid question non-related to this thread, but has anyone found the "search in thread" button on this new theme?

I had to bug cskippy yesterday because I couldn't easily find his previous comments about the vegan pads and paper towel mod.

Insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #3,274 of 8,051
It seems you have to use the search bar and then go to the forum you wish to search in. You can add keywords, etc. but it's pretty archaic compared to the previous site layout.

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #3,275 of 8,051
Damn, that's a shame I'm sorry to hear!

If it's any consolation, many people (including me) can rejoice in knowing that their headband will not be coming apart on this model. (As most of us are going to be hopeful and not open up our headphones and look for the changes, haha)

Thanks for the sympathy. I know it's better for the masses but it still makes me sad. I do wear it on the last (largest) notch so maybe I should just buy a pilot pad and put that on the metal band and just remove the strap altogether. It's will look stupid but I bet it will be more comfortable than the stock strap is for me.

On a side note, likely an incredibly stupid question non-related to this thread, but has anyone found the "search in thread" button on this new theme?

I had to bug cskippy yesterday because I couldn't easily find his previous comments about the vegan pads and paper towel mod.

Insight would be appreciated, thanks!

I haven't been able to find the thread search or the thread gallery either. Really annoying. I've need both recently. One step forward, two steps back, it seems.

Also, the 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter that Monoprice sent with the M1060 V2 is absolute garbage (at least mine is). It turns the stereo signal into a single mono image. Both left and right are represented but it's all in the exact center. It took me a good 15 minutes to figure out that it was the adapter causing the problem and not my headphones/amp/computer/etc. I could have just gotten a bad one but it certainly seems like a very poorly designed adapter.

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #3,276 of 8,051
Thanks for the sympathy. I know it's better for the masses but it still makes me sad. I do wear it on the last (largest) notch so maybe I should just buy a pilot pad and put that on the metal band and just remove the strap altogether. It's will look stupid but I bet it will be more comfortable than the stock strap is for me.

No troubles, it's such a fickle thing with headphone comfort and such, I've been so surprised that people are needing to use the last notch as I thought I had a biggish head and I'm on the 4th notch from the top, haha.

I haven't been able to find the thread search or the thread gallery either. Really annoying. I've need both recently. One step forward, two steps back, it seems.

Also, the 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter that Monoprice sent with the M1060 V2 is absolute garbage (at least mine is). It turns the stereo signal into a single mono image. Both left and right are represented but it's all in the exact center. It took me a good 15 minutes to figure out that it was the adapter causing the problem and not my headphones/amp/computer/etc. I could have just gotten a bad one but it certainly seems like a very poorly designed adapter.

You have me quite interested about the 3.5mm to 1/8 inch adapter.. I used it straight out of the box in conjunction with my 1/8 inch headphone jack in the back of my Essence STX soundcard, I wonder if I'm having the same issue, I've been hearing things coming from the left and right channels though, although it does seem more focused toward the center area somewhat.

Very curious, will see if there's any difference plugging the 3.5mm in directly later on after I finish up with some clients.

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #3,277 of 8,051
You have me quite interested about the 3.5mm to 1/8 inch adapter.. I used it straight out of the box in conjunction with my 1/8 inch headphone jack in the back of my Essence STX soundcard, I wonder if I'm having the same issue, I've been hearing things coming from the left and right channels though, although it does seem more focused toward the center area somewhat.

Very curious, will see if there's any difference plugging the 3.5mm in directly later on after I finish up with some clients.

An easy way to tell is to play this video. When using the bad adapter everything was directly dead center.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #3,278 of 8,051
My order was supposedly to be shipped on the 24th but the ups status is stuck at :
  • Order Processed: Ready for UPS
Anyone else got that too?

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #3,280 of 8,051
An easy way to tell is to play this video. When using the bad adapter everything was directly dead center.

Ah, you might find this handy in the future, found this beauty a while ago and it helped me diagnose a poor quality controlled pair of Fidelio X2 drivers!
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

I played your video and indeed my left center and right is working as intended, sounds like you're not having a very good time over there, haha.

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #3,282 of 8,051
Got some surprise cash today. So ordered the M1060 (woohoo) and the Leather free pads from B&H, but the pads are on back ordered.

I'm interested in a comparing them head to head with my HE-500. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #3,283 of 8,051
Apr 28, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #3,284 of 8,051
has anyone found the "search in thread" button on this new theme?

Well, until they add that back there's always entering "site:head-fi.org" followed by your search terms in Google, like so: https://www.google.com/search?num=20&q=site:head-fi.org+Monolith+M1060+cskippy+vegan&oq=site:head-fi.org+Monolith+M1060+cskippy+vegan&gs_l=serp.3...7562.9922.0.10105.15.12.0.0.0.0.346.2004.0j2j4j2.8.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..14.0.0.YofIh9XgUi4

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #3,285 of 8,051
My order was supposedly to be shipped on the 24th but the ups status is stuck at :
  • Order Processed: Ready for UPS
Anyone else got that too?

That's weird, I ordered on 4/26 and mine went out that night

Users who are viewing this thread

Back