Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #3,211 of 8,051
A couple things.

I RMA'd my headphone and sent it in today. Let's hope they dont care that I've replaced, and re-applied the stock pads and also have opened up the headphones a few times. I didnt mess anything up.

Secondly, am I the only one who pronounces PLANAR as PLANE-nERR and not PLANE-nARRR (like a pirate)? I am an engineer, and we always learned to say Planar as Plane-er in all my studies and professional career.

That's all. :)

A couple things,

Did you RMA the 2nd revision you just got, or the originals because of the problems they had?
I don't see what you did being a problem so long as it's not obvious you did it.

I pronounce it both ways, I saw this video just now, I guess this random video with someone saying it solves all the confusion.. :wink:

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #3,212 of 8,051
A couple things,

Did you RMA the 2nd revision you just got, or the originals because of the problems they had?
I don't see what you did being a problem so long as it's not obvious you did it.

I pronounce it both ways, I saw this video just now, I guess this random video with someone saying it solves all the confusion.. :wink:

I had the original batch. I RMA'd it for the revision.

That's one video. I saw some others on youtube that pronounce it Plane-er. :)

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #3,214 of 8,051
Think the M1060 will still be in stock on May 7? Can't buy a pair until then.

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #3,215 of 8,051
So I received my M1060s today! And a full day ahead of when it was scheduled (way to go, UPS)! I got the new version with 2.5mm connectors and smooth grills. I must say it's far more attractive in person than any of the photos/videos that I have seen. Surprisingly hefty as well.

After listening to it stock I can echo @cskippy and that it sounds "blurry" for lack of a better word. I put in 3 inch circles of cheap Wal-Mart brand paper towels behind the grills and it does indeed clean up the sound a bit. Most noticeably the treble. I think I will see if I can pick up some black party napkins at the dollar store later this week. It probably needs some burn in but I'm not blown away sound-wise yet. I do have some vegan pads on order that should be here Monday and hopefully that cleans it up some more. Also, can't stand the feel of the pleather on my skin so I'm doubly excited the pads to get here.

I can see the complaints about the headband. It does indeed create hot spots on the top of my head. It might be caused because I have to have it have it on the last notch so the metal is adding to the top pressure. And I'm not very picky when it comes to headbands. I find my HE-400 very comfortable and my T20-RP MK III headband very usable. I'm planning on making my own custom velour headband. Shouldn't be hard if I use the existing one as a pattern.

The cable seems decent and flexible, albeit thin. I feel the right angle at the end is pointless for home use, though. Who sits perpendicular to their amp? I'm going to be on the lookout for a decently priced cable with straight jack. While doing the paper towel mod I took some pictures of the new insides. Forgive the poor quality of my phone camera.

M1060-Small-1.jpg

It seems they have done the same finish on the outside of the grills as the inside. I'm pretty sure it's painted but it almost feels powder coated because of the texture.

M1060-Small-2.jpg

It definitely seems they have finished the wood differently, at least on the inside. Whether this stops the cracking remains to be seen.

M1060-Small-3.jpg

Here is the new 2.5mm connector. It's definitely a tight fit in there since the driver is so big. Hopefully it lasts longer than the MMCX connector.

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #3,216 of 8,051
Awesome post! Glad you like the paper towel mod. Audeze pads + paper towel is the beez kneez. Look forward to your impressions.

BTW, I'm keeping my M1060 with MMCX connectors since I've purchased a balanced cable for them. I like the idea of having a balanced cable the will also work with future IEMs.

If I have any problems though, I'll cash in on the 5 year warranty and get the updated version.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #3,217 of 8,051
Whoever designed the MMCX cable is an absolute idiot.

I cut the right angle jack off to terminate an XLR connector to make a balanced cable because I know there's two ground wires. This would make you think they use a separate ground if there's two ground wires at the right angle connector, right? Nope.

Turns out all four wires, the left+, right+, and two grounds, go to EACH MMCX connector... Only difference is one of the positive wires is not soldered on to corresponding MMCX connector, but it's still ran all the way to it, and both ground wires are attached to each. Now I ruined the cable because it can't be balanced, even though it has two ground wires.

Dude I was about to do the same thing. I thank you for posting this information. You have saved me some potential headaches and outrages. I wonder if the new 2.5mm cables are designed the same?

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,218 of 8,051
Okay, after listening for about 3 hours (brain and headphone burn in) and EQ-ing in 3 db more bass I'm beginning to see what all of the fuss is about. The bass hits like truck! And even with the stock pads it sounds cleaner than a while a go. There is still a good chunk of the midrange that still seems a bit lost but I suspect the vegans will help with that. It's gone from "meh" to "pretty darn good!" a lot faster than I thought it would. The only problem? Dragging myself away and going to bed. :o2smile:

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,220 of 8,051
Sorry, may I ask the paper towel mod is putting the paper on top of the black felt or the black felt need to be removed?

I kept the foam and added the paper towel to the top. This is originally how cskippy did it, I think. Although some users modified the mod by making the paper towel larger or removing the foam completely. Your mileage may vary. The most "standard" way of doing it is pictured below, foam intact.
M1060-Small-4.jpg

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #3,221 of 8,051
In regards to wood cracking, I am an owner of the original batch and have had NO problems.

What I did do when I first heard of the problem was to remove the covers and using a Q tip coat as much wood as I could with cutting board paste.

So far so good.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #3,222 of 8,051
I kept the foam and added the paper towel to the top. This is originally how cskippy did it, I think. Although some users modified the mod by making the paper towel larger or removing the foam completely. Your mileage may vary. The most "standard" way of doing it is pictured below, foam intact.

Looks like you did a really nice job cutting a neatly "circular" circle. :darthsmile:
I will be very curious to hear your impressions before and after the paper towel + vegan pads mod.

I originally ordered the vegans but because I'm in Australia they cost me $120.
I cancelled the order to judge first what I think of the sound and let it burn in and decide if I want to mod them.

Also it seems popular to gain the bass by 2-4db amongst the M1060 users, likely I'll be doing the same.

Did the paper towel affect the bass at all do you think, or just the highs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back