Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 1, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #2,447 of 8,051
  Zeos has posted his review if anyone watches his Youtube channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrr-GAlHzLQ

Damn, damn. Now I have to keep them, even with a crack I can't not own them :frowning2:
I knew they were at least as good as the LCD-2s but once they cracked I just gave up and got an RMA number. Maybe now I'll wait until they sort the issues out and then get an exchange instead.
The big question is...do I keep the LCD-2s or not?

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #2,448 of 8,051

Damn, damn. Now I have to keep them, even with a crack I can't not own them :frowning2:
I knew they were at least as good as the LCD-2s but once they cracked I just gave up and got an RMA number. Maybe now I'll wait until they sort the issues out and then get an exchange instead.

I was thinking of printing a few different replacements for the wood. Mine haven't cracked but it would be interesting to see what they sound like in another material. When I get a CAD drawing together for the print i'll post it to download. 

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,449 of 8,051
So I used Equalizer APO to fine tune my M1060 after using the veggi+PT mod to increase the mids a notch and help female vocals to come forward. today, I turned off the EQ to hear how it sounds without it and my M1060 mids where just excellent. I think the burn-in process was in action because I remember the female vocals were slightly recessed and needed +3 dB after the mod, not the case now after using M1060 as a daily driver for weeks.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #2,450 of 8,051
Zeos has posted his review if anyone watches his Youtube channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrr-GAlHzLQ

I found this review to be embarrassingly effusive. Yes, to his credit he does list all of the myriad build-quality concerns, but when he describes the sound he uses terminology like "godlike" and "Stax-like", which is hyperbolic in the extreme. He also throws in the f-bomb so often that it loses all impact as a modifying adjective. I own these headphones and think the sound quality is excellent, and even though my pair is cracked I have no intention of returning or replacing them - which I think speaks volumes on its own. And even though for me this may be the endgame, in the "audiophile" world where people will spend tens of thousands of dollars of money for relatively minor improvements in sound quality, and where snake-oil is commonly accepted, I still found his description of the sound somewhat juvenile. And on this forum I often see people make statements like "the silver used in this cable is so high-quality that the electrons flow much more quickly - audibly so, resulting in sonic improvements of the highest order".

The DMS review comes across as far more balanced and appropriately professional.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #2,451 of 8,051

Monoprice has a winner at their hands and they should carefully review the issues reported and not miss the chance of claiming their fair share of the market. I would buy a second pair of M1060 if they do it right in Rev 2.0 even if it cost a little more.
Aside from the obvious quality issues (wood crack, strip, connectors), they should consider dampening tweaks as the folks here have pointed out to get it right. if they do, I don't think anyone can beat them at the high end HPs market. low Price+build quality+Sound quality = Market lion share. just don't screw this up.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,452 of 8,051
It's good to hear from zeos that they will be adressing the wood cracking issue. I purchased a shure cable going off of other comments as that being the cause of the drops in the left can, not the case for me. Idk if anyone has had any actual issues due to the cable but the size and right angle connector works great for me. I solved the disconnecting issue by tightening the connections in the headphones, "tweezer method" aside from the wood cracking, I love my 1060s. Hopefully get a revised pair under warranty and if not, I can live with a small crack.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,453 of 8,051
I found this review to be embarrassingly effusive. Yes, to his credit he does list all of the myriad build-quality concerns, but when he describes the sound he uses terminology like "godlike" and "Stax-like", which is hyperbolic in the extreme. He also throws in the f-bomb so often that it loses all impact as a modifying adjective. I own these headphones and think the sound quality is excellent, and even though my pair is cracked I have no intention of returning or replacing them - which I think speaks volumes on its own. And even though for me this may be the endgame, in the "audiophile" world where people will spend tens of thousands of dollars of money for relatively minor improvements in sound quality, and where snake-oil is commonly accepted, I still found his description of the sound somewhat juvenile. And on this forum I often see people make statements like "the silver used in this cable is so high-quality that the electrons flow much more quickly - audibly so, resulting in sonic improvements of the highest order".

The DMS review comes across as far more balanced and appropriately professional.

I at one point enjoyed his reviews, now I find watching them to be a frustrating experience. Just when you think he is getting to some useful info things go off the rails and he starts jumping around through 3 second snippets of him listening to music and making weird sounds of enjoyment. 

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,454 of 8,051

That's basically how all his reviews are, they're in the language of his Twitch/gamer fanbase. He specifically says he doesn't want to get into audiophile lingo, because most people can't relate to that. That leaves him with too few adjectives to describe differences between headphones, and from the little I've seen everything he reviews is just "incredible", "awesome" etc.

I find these kinds of comparative sound tests quite interesting, they give you an auditory sneak peek of the relative difference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYPX5CkhhvU .

I'm really interested in what Monoprice are thinking for the feature, obviously they're gonna do some quick fixes in the second batch, but they would probably hit a better market position if they added $50 to the price and tweaked the quality of the build and materials in a real revision 2. Like getting rid of the plastic, redesign the headband adjuster and maybe use aluminium cups instead of wood (and better driver pair matching?).

I'm currently on the fence with these, they are gonna end up at $500 in my country including taxes, shipping and customs fees, and it will be a hassle if I have to return them for warranty issues. Considering picking up a pair of used LCD2 for a few hundred dollars more instead, with a local warranty .

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #2,455 of 8,051

I'm really interested in what Monoprice are thinking for the feature, obviously they're gonna do some quick fixes in the second batch, but they would probably hit a better market position if they added $50 to the price and tweaked the quality of the build and materials in a real revision 2. Like getting rid of the plastic, redesign the headband adjuster and maybe use aluminium cups instead of wood (and better driver pair matching?).

I'd bet that this is the direction Monoprice is headed. Test and disrupt the market with the 560/1060s, then band-aid initial issues, and then release a major revision that will simply cost more.  My queasy hunch is that the next iteration of the 1060 tier will be at least $100 more. $50 more will be for the 560 tier.  Unless the other makers drastically lower their prices (not likely) their line will still be a great value.  Shoot, I'd gladly pay $400 for a quasi LCD-3/4 clone (if that's possible).

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2,456 of 8,051

I'd bet that this is the direction Monoprice is headed. Test and disrupt the market with the 560/1060s, then band-aid initial issues, and then release a major revision that will simply cost more.  My queasy hunch is that the next iteration of the 1060 tier will be at least $100 more. $50 more will be for the 560 tier.  Unless the other makers drastically lower their prices (not likely) their line will still be a great value.  Shoot, I'd gladly pay $400 for a quasi LCD-3/4 clone (if that's possible).

If they came out with a revision and the cost would be $500 with HE 560 build quality it would be well worth it, at $400 even better!

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #2,457 of 8,051
Anyone done a comparison between the X2, M560 and M1060?

I sold my X2s after comparing them with the M1060s. Found the X2s to have exaggerated, grainy highs that were fatiguing. The M1060s are much more natural and neutral. And I can wear them all day with no fatigue. Just an outstanding headphone (and no quality control issues yet...). 

BTW, recently had a long listening test at an audio store between the LCD-3 and HD800S. Had a similar reaction to the M1060-X2 comparison. HD800S are detail monsters but to my ears have unnatural highs and are fatiguing. LCD-3s are just gorgeous and buttery and neutral. So it might just be that my ear-brain is tuned to the planar signature.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #2,458 of 8,051

If they came out with a revision and the cost would be $500 with HE 560 build quality it would be well worth it, at $400 even better!

During the last black friday B&H had the HE560 on sale new for $499.  I had to be straitjacketed to avoid the purchase.  Glad I didn't pull the trigger, but Hifiman seems to offer discounts like this somewhat regularly.  Feedback here seems to confirm that the HE560 is still a notch above the 1060, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see Hifiman offer some big sales to counteract the monoliths. 

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,459 of 8,051

Surprise. DMS provides interesting, informed --and concise!--reviews. Even If I don't agree with them (like his negative review of the Fidelio X2) they present an obviously knowledgeable point of view. Z's videos (and I admit I have stopped watching his "reviews" so I have not seen the 1060 review) are pretty much 20+ minute exercises in self-aggrandizement without much in the way of informative opinion. Look at all the gear I have! 

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,460 of 8,051
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwBcQCAxVgc

OMG this track, especially towards the end. This Kayzo guy is insane. Jesus, 4 mins mark.... 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back