Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 1, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,461 of 8,051
I found this review to be embarrassingly effusive. Yes, to his credit he does list all of the myriad build-quality concerns, but when he describes the sound he uses terminology like "godlike" and "Stax-like", which is hyperbolic in the extreme. He also throws in the f-bomb so often that it loses all impact as a modifying adjective. I own these headphones and think the sound quality is excellent, and even though my pair is cracked I have no intention of returning or replacing them - which I think speaks volumes on its own. And even though for me this may be the endgame, in the "audiophile" world where people will spend tens of thousands of dollars of money for relatively minor improvements in sound quality, and where snake-oil is commonly accepted, I still found his description of the sound somewhat juvenile. And on this forum I often see people make statements like "the silver used in this cable is so high-quality that the electrons flow much more quickly - audibly so, resulting in sonic improvements of the highest order".

The DMS review comes across as far more balanced and appropriately professional.

Friend. DMS Headphone Friend. :)))))))))

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #2,462 of 8,051
I found this review to be embarrassingly effusive. Yes, to his credit he does list all of the myriad build-quality concerns, but when he describes the sound he uses terminology like "godlike" and "Stax-like", which is hyperbolic in the extreme. He also throws in the f-bomb so often that it loses all impact as a modifying adjective. I own these headphones and think the sound quality is excellent, and even though my pair is cracked I have no intention of returning or replacing them - which I think speaks volumes on its own. And even though for me this may be the endgame, in the "audiophile" world where people will spend tens of thousands of dollars of money for relatively minor improvements in sound quality, and where snake-oil is commonly accepted, I still found his description of the sound somewhat juvenile. And on this forum I often see people make statements like "the silver used in this cable is so high-quality that the electrons flow much more quickly - audibly so, resulting in sonic improvements of the highest order".

The DMS review comes across as far more balanced and appropriately professional.

While I agree that DMS is more concise, informative, and professional, Z Reviews and DMS really came to the same conclusion. Build quality issues aside, these are headphones that sound great with any genre and it's all you will want to listen to. It just took Z Reviews 20 minutes longer to get there.

That being said, I'm not using Z Reviews's opinion in my buying decisions because we do not agree, generally, when it comes to sound signature (example: he hates on most Beyerdynamic sets and I LOVE my 990 Pro and 770 Pro). But I'm not going to lie, I'm very excited to get a pair of M1060s when they come back in stock because they seem to satisfy such a wide range of listening tastes and backgrounds, which is rare for headphones.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #2,466 of 8,051
I love the sound of my m1060's. They are great sounding headphones period, exceptional for the price. But as good as they are they are not Audeze LCD 2 killers to me. I purchased my LCD 2F's as an open box set and they were pristine with full warranty and saved me $200. Even with the savings they cost more than twice as much as my m1060's. Do they sound twice as good, no. But they definitely and clearly sound better. The build quality of the Audeze is far better as you would definitely expect,even demand. It all depends on your tolerance for financial pain on whether you want to pay the premium price for those small but oh so sweet gains.

I have had no QC problems with my m1060's even with some pretty heavy use these past three weeks. However, the left ear cup wood is rough and poorly stained. So I have a rma and am sending them back. Also I don't want to chance other QC issues.
I have pre ordered another set because I love the sound. They claim they will ship in two to six weeks. Quite a spread. Hopefully this next batch will not be plagued with QC issues.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #2,467 of 8,051
I would strongly suggest the vegan pads plus paper towel mod by Cskippy and re-visit the idea that they are "not Audeze LCD-2" killers.

Not only that, but they weigh less and are more comfortable. 

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #2,469 of 8,051
I will give the Cskippy mod out when I get my new M1060's.

You AB tested the Audeze LCD 2F's with the m1060's modded and they sound as good. I can't wait to try that out.
I agree the Monolith's are more comfortable but with that being said I have no problem with the comfort of the Audeze. I guess I have a hard head,my wife might agree, many cans others have problems with don't really bother me.

The only reason I am going to try another set is the sound and the 5 year warranty.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #2,470 of 8,051
I didn't a/b the two, however the modded 1060 is excellent.

Probably a little more smooth and less extension in the highs as the LCD-2F but very good and which you prefer is likely more a matter of preference and taste than simply quality.

FWIW I did not find the stock 1060 very comfortable (headband pressure), but once I got the Audeze pads on them, comfort improved.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #2,471 of 8,051
I just ordered some MDR-XB500 pads for my M560s and want to print an adapter instead of using tape.  Should be pretty easy to find some small magnets to glue into them.   Does anyone have a set of MDR-XB500s they can take the plastic brackets out of and send me some high res photos for reference?   Doesn't look like you can buy replacement brackets anywhere.

Found this thread with some pics:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/652505/xb500-pads-what-they-look-like-how-to-remove-mods-with-pics

...but I'd need higher res ones and probably on graph or something.

TNKS!

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #2,472 of 8,051
I agee preferences in sound signatures is somewhat subjective based on personal tastes in whether they prefer their headphones more neutral, warm or bright. Also ones physical attributes with their hearing also plays a part. Some people are more sensitive to different frequencies.

When my new replacement m1060's show up I will mod them and AB them with the Audeze's. I am looking forward to hearing the new sound signature with the mod.

One area that the Audeze can't be beat compared to the Monolith's is the build. The metal used in the Audeze is a very high grade. Wood is flawlessly presented with high quality wood and staining is impeccable. The headband mounts are high grade aluminum with the headband made using high quality steel. Ear pads and the headband use high grade leather or you can opt for the vegan pads. The cable is well designed and the ear cup connectors are first rate. Of course for the price it d well better be made like a tank using premium materials.

I am not knocking the Monolith's build overall they are actually what I expected for the price considering the premium planar drivers. I am sorry to see that they experienced assembly problems on their introduction.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,473 of 8,051

Trying to find this DMS review, without any luck. Does anyone have a link?

Nevermind, found it 
redface.gif

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #2,474 of 8,051
Just tried without the black foam in the cup... sounded terrible.

Tried with a paper towel, stock pads... not bad at all. I might keep it this way. The stock foam seems a bit too thick, where the paper towel seems to be the right thickness allowing a little more detail through.

I may break down and get the Vegan pads still, but I'm good as it is with this and EQ. Excellent sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back