Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 31, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,416 of 8,051
Thanks to cskippy's mod idea. I replaced my M1060 earpads with velvet ones and put paper towels on outer cover. Sound signature is less Bright and less plastiky and very natural. Bass seems to be better. Only minus is the voice seemed to be a step further out and a tad less clear. I am totally satisfied now. No fatigue on long listening sessions. And it is easy to drive. So my DAP player is able to drive it at a good listening level. I ordered from AMZ and so far no crack and connection issue.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,418 of 8,051
Mar 31, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #2,420 of 8,051
Got my custom cable (6ft Hybrid 5N OCC + Silver Plated, MMCX to 4-Pin XLR) the other day from the maker that @Martinrm suggested. Their eBay store is:

http://stores.ebay.com/jiangzhan2012/

Glad I took the leap and ordered.  I'd highly recommend them.  Fantastic cable for the cost, relatively fast for shipment from China and it's allowed me to take full advantage of my Jot's balanced out.  

If any of you own a Jot, save up and buy a balanced cable for the 1060s!  I thought these headphones sounded good over SE, but whether it's the extra power driving them or the quality of the cable material - you might be surprised how much more you can still get out of these headphones.  The level of punch, clarity and detail just took a nice leap forward... once again making the 1060 much easier to rec'd apart from the known issues.

PS - I think this cable maker's MMCX cables come with curled connectors by default (for around-ear IEM fit), which you should be mindful of if you order. Caught me by surprise but I really didn't mind since they make my LZ-A4's sound amazing as well.

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,422 of 8,051

I think tonally the 400i sounds more natural, especially the mids.  With a more forward midrange presentation.  Similar to the HD600.  The M1060 is an entirely different beast. I think it depends on what you listen to mostly.  For pop, electronic, etc the 1060 all the way....the 400i's can't even come close.  For more relaxed listening, consider the 400i.

Also consider what you'll be using the drive them as the 400i really needs more power.

The 400i does actually excel with aggressive music, due to speed of the driver and the amount of treble attack. The transients are unnaturally quick, and the snappy 6-9k peak borders sibilance.
Throw some well produced IDM or technical death metal at the 400i, and you'll probably be amazed about the energy presentation. The general sound signature is a bit thin though, especially compared to the LCD-series for example.
Haven't heard the M1060.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,423 of 8,051
Yeah, that's a good point... some headphones can be aggressive and hard hitting due to the low end, but the high end can give it an aggressive character as well. Some hit hard in highs and lows and both are super aggressive (yes I'm looking at you, my original HE-400!)

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,424 of 8,051
  The M1060 and LZ-A4 balanced are an excellent audio combo. So much sound for the money. I'm good with those two for a long time.

I've really tested my wife's patience getting to these two. And like you, I feel like I've found some lasting contentment with this combo.  I just wish all of you would stop tempting me by raving about those painfully overpriced (but worth it?) Audeze vegan pads, ha!

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #2,427 of 8,051
I bought the Fiio Shure cable and re-terminated it with neutrik 4-pin xlr. It is working out pretty good except I feel it is little too short for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HP9EU0O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490989395&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Fiio+120cm+Replacement+Cable+for+Shure

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,429 of 8,051
Put the Audeze vegan pads on mine today. They're more comfy, but the clamp force is still annoying and hurts my jaw and head after a while. Any way to reduce the clamp force? I've had it stretched on my pillow overnight for a while now and it's still too tight.

Also, when I was pulling one of the stock pads off, it completely ripped off the piece of fabric that protects the driver from the earcup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back