Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 31, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,431 of 8,051
  Put the Audeze vegan pads on mine today. They're more comfy, but the clamp force is still annoying and hurts my jaw and head after a while. Any way to reduce the clamp force? I've had it stretched on my pillow overnight for a while now and it's still too tight.

Also, when I was pulling one of the stock pads off, it completely ripped off the piece of fabric that protects the driver from the earcup.

That felt piece is part of the stock earpad, (the bottom of it) not part of the headphone assembly itself. In other words, the pad was what ripped.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,433 of 8,051
  Cant make up my mind between HE400s or HE400i(used) or M1060. If anyone happens to have all of them, how's the sound compare?

Most like the HFM 400"i" version better than the "s" version. Other HF threads detail that (use HF search or google search to pinpoint thread & page).

For HFM 400 "i" and M1060, both are great hp's for different reasons, and both great values.

For a comparative review & impressions of stock M1060 vs HFM 400"i" vs HFM HE-560, see this same thread here -

-page #110 post #1636

-page #113 post #1695

-page #156 posts #2326 thru #2335.

M1060 respond best as others experimented here with Audeze vegan pads & simple paper towel mod, increasing it's performance.

HFM 400"i" probably has had improving mods if you check threads.

HFM HE-560 is a step above both models, and those that mod HE-560 get an even bigger step up, moving it into a high level.

My 400"i", M1060 and HE-560 are all stock.

QC/QA of M1060 so far leads to believe the diapraghm tensioning may vary among sets, resulting in different presentations. This is verified by 1 fellow who bought 2 new sets, 1 was fine, the other had midrange sucked out (reddit thread).

Hope it helps.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,434 of 8,051
  Put the Audeze vegan pads on mine today. They're more comfy, but the clamp force is still annoying and hurts my jaw and head after a while. Any way to reduce the clamp force? I've had it stretched on my pillow overnight for a while now and it's still too tight.

Also, when I was pulling one of the stock pads off, it completely ripped off the piece of fabric that protects the driver from the earcup.

When I took my stock pads off to install the Vegans I was expecting to see a cloth cover also. Mine looked exactly like the picture above. I thought I had taken the cover off with the pad. Upon further inspection there was no cover over the driver, it was all just a part of the stock pad assembly. The Vegan pads have a similar cover on the inside of the pad. I'm assuming that will offer enough protection against dust and debris.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #2,435 of 8,051
@cskippy,

Wonder if the headphone community modders might like to experiment with an extension of the Paper Towel mod.

From the mods on other types of hp's we see history of  2 ply & 1 ply toilet paper and paper towels, coffee filters, surgical mask plies, 3M breathable paper, ultra- thin sponge, porous thin foam types, chemistry filter paper discs of various grades etc, of varying material & different brands. These found use either behind (like M1060 PT mod) or in front of the driver (other hp's), often to flatten or eliminate treble peaks, and also affect other parts of the frequency response range and resulting sound tweaks.

Some modders went looking for a baseline standard, so last year it led to the SAATI Acoustex filters, described on InnerFidelity, in a preliminary intro article, and then the full testing/measurement article.

I think sheets of SAATI are expensive, but maybe also very large ( ? ), for many of pairs headphones use. The full article noted of the 9 grades of this standardized paper, 6 or 7 grades effectively worked in hp's to varying degrees.

So, just to point out, like in standardized pore sizes of chemistry filter paper/discs (those are cheap price), the SAATI Acoustex filters papers ratings are here -

Paper #, ... Air Flow Resistance in MKS rayls , ... Pore Size

-B003...3...285
-B006...6...105
-B010...10...120
-B025...25...53
-B047...47...38
-B090...90...41
-B115...115...21
-B160...160...21
-B260...260...18

Even if the sheets get pricey, if a few modders jump in together & share different sheets, a whole bunch of hp's can be tested for optimum grade sheet per hp type, and cost of sheets is distributed. Measurements & listening hone in on which grade paper fairs best. Just an idea as the standardization is really cool.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #2,436 of 8,051
I've seen that article on InnerFidelity.  It's certainly interesting, but unless you're targeting a very specific frequency area, which you generally can't do with physical mods, then small variances in material density shouldn't make that much difference.  I really did luck out with the paper towel as the only other material I tried was Kleenex 2ply and I like the results of the paper towel so stuck with it.  I'll probably get back to modding the M1060 but I just wanted to make it listenable, cause stock form I was ready to return them.  

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #2,438 of 8,051
Also, forgot to say, this SAATI material is available in either BLACK or white color.

The mfr makes about 20 types for this application, and Tyll thinks 6 grades seem best in heaphones. He also says in 1st article, he can make the group buy, but modders have to organize among themselves, with each guy's expense maybe around $20 for a kit of all 6 grades material, each grade will cover a few hp's, as cut size for kit per paper is about 1 foot x 2 foot rectangular. The results from the 115, 160 & 260 grades allowed more consistency than TP, but achieved similar results to the one TP tested against. The actual material may have a different tactile (feel) than paper.

I guess what's cool about SAATI, is it can be the baseline reference standard when comparisons are done...ex: "used SAATI 160" for best result, or " tested these 4 hp's all with SAATI 260". Gives a nice standardization.

Yeah the PT mod worked out well in your experimentation ! Well done !

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #2,440 of 8,051
I have done measurements with quite a bit of different damping materials. paper towel, 2 ply TP, polyfil, cotton, felt, foam, and fleece. I'm about to go to bed, but if you'd like to see some specific measurement changes I can post them tomorrow, I've been primarily switching longer term between cskippy's mod and my own, which at this point is similar to audeze's early damping scheme, with a little polyfil between felt layers. Both offer a different presentation, mostly in how they effect the slope from 1k and the 8-12k  and 18-20k treble areas.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #2,441 of 8,051
Black Paper Napkins -

others can weigh in who have tried napkins; I'm guessing they will work but because napkins are 1 ply folded over ontop into quarters, you may have to experiment with a single ply, 2 ply, 3 ply, maybe 4 ply. What's cool is aesthetically they will blend in with black grill.

If you have a "party supplies" store or Dollar Tree (dollar store), they sell single black packs, so to try it only costs $1, well worth the experiment. Compare vs a sheet (1 ply) of Brawny paper towels cut to size also. Please post listening impressions if you do so.

MrTie84 & cskippy have a real good handle on more details you may like !

MrTie84, when back online, let us know which mod you like best for which sound impressions.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #2,442 of 8,051
  If one chose to use black paper instead of white, would this work as well as a "paper towel"?

Paper Beverage Napkin, 2-ply, Black

https://www.amazon.com/Perfectware-PW-Napkin-Black-2PLY-100/dp/B01J9N0O8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNkl1avYXRM
Frank Zappa - Black Napkins
beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #2,443 of 8,051
Black Paper Napkins -
others can weigh in who have tried napkins; I'm guessing they will work but because napkins are 1 ply folded over ontop into quarters, you may have to experiment with a single ply, 2 ply, 3 ply, maybe 4 ply. What's cool is aesthetically they will blend in with black grill.

If you have a "party supplies" store or Dollar Tree (dollar store), they sell single black packs, so to try it only costs $1, well worth the experiment. Compare vs a sheet (1 ply) of Brawny paper towels cut to size also. Please post listening impressions if you do so.

MrTie84 & cskippy have a real good handle on more details you may like !

MrTie84, when back online, let us know which mod you like best for which sound impressions.

Exactly what I did a couple of weeks ago with the dollar tree ones you mentioned haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back