Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 21, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #2,281 of 8,051
  Code was SPRUNG25 and on March 20th only. 

Well, crap.
I guess the post about it at 11pm on March 20th was a bit of tease then? I was going to buy a 3D printer from Monoprice but now I guess I will wait.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,282 of 8,051
I've got a pair of the M560s based on what I read here, and I'm blown away at how good they sound versus the Sennheiser Momentums they replaced.

Currently, I'm running all of my source from my rMBP via mini-displayport -> HDMI into a Sony home theater receiver(STR-DG810).

Now, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money to replace the Sony with a dedicated DAC/amp combo. It's not that I don't have the money, it's that I'm wondering just how much difference it's going to make. The truth is, I'm not really an enthusiast, I dabble in audio, and it may be that my current setup represents a nice price/performance compromise.

All opinions are welcomed.

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #2,283 of 8,051
  I love the way the m1060's sound, but they are very uncomfortable on my head. I have a big head and they put pressure right on the top. 

Are there any mods to improve the headband material or comfort of these yet?

I made a strap from a sheet of Italian lambskin I have and just installed it in the stock clips. It improved the comfort on the top of the head a lot. If you do it, a word to the wise, you need to make the lambskin strap about an inch and a half shorter than the stock one, otherwise, it's too big. Like this: 

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #2,284 of 8,051
I made a strap from a sheet of Italian lambskin I have and just installed it in the stock clips. It improved the comfort on the top of the head a lot. If you do it, a word to the wise, you need to make the lambskin strap about an inch and a half shorter than the stock one, otherwise, it's too big. Like this: 

Brilliant, that's a great idea!

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #2,285 of 8,051
  Well, crap.
I guess the post about it at 11pm on March 20th was a bit of tease then? I was going to buy a 3D printer from Monoprice but now I guess I will wait.

Sorry :)  I literally only found out about it 20mins before I posted.  Don't feel bad, all their 3D printers were sold out by the time I was on their sight last night.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #2,286 of 8,051
I wonder how just flipping the existing strap would be?  I don't like the bumps, they're like the K701 I tried and they were super annoying and uncomfortable.  

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #2,287 of 8,051

Well, crap.

Sorry :)  I literally only found out about it 20mins before I posted.  Don't feel bad, all their 3D printers were sold out by the time I was on their sight last night.

My quick Question..
How did you hear about the deal.
I buy from Monoprice quite a bit, and am on their mailing list. Was it just by going to the web site?
Just curious. I am now patiently waiting for the M1060 to be in stock.

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2,288 of 8,051
It was on their front page for the day.

I personally learned of the code from the buildapcsales subreddit which had 25% off a monitor as a result of the promo.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #2,291 of 8,051
I was going to buy the M560s anyway and randomly saw the deal on the site.  Pretty good the amp bundle was valid for the other discount.  Not sure how good it is but can always ebay it.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #2,294 of 8,051
So I did the vegan+PT mod and have been enjoying M1060 since.  To my ears, the mod did the 90% of getting the M1060 where I needed it to be. I felt that I needed to bring upper mids/vocals a notch forward just to reveal them in a balanced way. I was looking around on how I can do this final fine-tuning and I stumbled upon a windows open source program (free) called "Equalizer APO";
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
This is basically an advanced equalizer that you install and configure for your input and output devices (separate profile for each device if needed). It has low latency and low CPU utilization for real time background processing. This program did the trick and I managed to fine-tune my M1060 to bring the upper mids a notch forward ( 3 to 4 dB) which slightly lifted vocals and strings to hit the right balance with the rest for my ears. I listened to many songs with and without the EQ active and now I am feeling that I got the 100% I was looking for.
I wanted to share this because I think that Equalizer APO is a must for anyone running windows and would want to get the most out of his audio gear. You can also check this youtube of how to use it with Room EQ to calibrate/EQ a headphone, very informative and I am thinking of trying it to generate different profiles and calibrations for my headphones for different needs (movies, gaming, music). enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmHAqh_HYT0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back