Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 18, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #2,236 of 8,051
Polyfil works. Think I'm about done with tuning, I really like what I'm hearing now, very balanced. I only really want to play with front filtering going forward but I could live pretty happy with how these now sound.

Red=Stock.

Final'ish Mod:

Earside: The stock rear foam in place of the stock fabric driver cover and Vegans.

Backside: A rectangle of creatology felt double side taped over the entire driver opening, followed by Polyfil, sandwiched off with a circle of felt between cotton and grill.

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #2,239 of 8,051

Aqua=Stock, Green=Vegan, Red=Current Mods.

My pair may have had a really extreme peak, or I may just be very sensitive to it. However I'm pretty happy with the sound I am now getting, more of classic slope downward in the mid range, while maintianing HF energy.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,242 of 8,051
I'm really enjoying how these sound, but I'm not sure I will keep them due to comfort reasons.

The headband up top puts pressure on top that is getting on my nerves over time.

Not a fan of the whole floating headband thing.

Anyone else? Pads are very comfortable, it's just the headband pressure/weight starts to bother me.

Edit: Don't think I can sell them after listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNTb_FI8NU&t=1823s

Might just need to deal with the less than ideal comfort.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,243 of 8,051
I can wear my HE-6 all day so the comfort on the M1060 is pretty great.  HD650 takes the cake as far as weight but I don't like the clamping issues and head foam.  Of course YMMV, etc. 

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #2,244 of 8,051
Yeah, and I prefer my HE-500's headband too. It distributes the weight better for me.

But yeah, no doubt 650 is the winner in the comfort category. (Although I think the T1 might even beat the 650!)

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #2,245 of 8,051
btw for those thinking of trying multiple pads or even rolling pads, maybe this (if it fits) can help?  http://www.head-fi.org/t/839932/earpad-mounting-rings-now-available
Seems to be only $10 (http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/earpad-mounting-rings.html)

Have you actually tried this, or are you just passing along information that seemed promising?

In my experience, those Hifiman rings hinder the sound to a huge degree. Throwing mine in the trash and using Audeze-style double sided tape to hold the earpads was one of the most effective mods on my HE400

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,247 of 8,051
Have you actually tried this, or are you just passing along information that seemed promising?

In my experience, those Hifiman rings hinder the sound to a huge degree. Throwing mine in the trash and using Audeze-style double sided tape to hold the earpads was one of the most effective mods on my HE400

Was simply something I noticed. Hence I said “if it fits”.

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #2,249 of 8,051
Mar 19, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #2,250 of 8,051
  Polyfil works. Think I'm about done with tuning, I really like what I'm hearing now, very balanced. I only really want to play with front filtering going forward but I could live pretty happy with how these now sound.

Red=Stock.

Final'ish Mod:

Earside: The stock rear foam in place of the stock fabric driver cover and Vegans.

Backside: A rectangle of creatology felt double side taped over the entire driver opening, followed by Polyfil, sandwiched off with a circle of felt between cotton and grill.

Are you saying you replaced the fabric under the grill on the earside with the foam from under the grill on the backside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back