Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 28, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #1,172 of 8,051
  The M0160 is my first planar headphone so let me know if this issue is par for the course or not acceptable.

The right ear cup makes a crackling (sounds like a plastic candy wrapper) if I press on the cup (pressing air out and then letting air back in). It seems like the planar driver is being pushed in and out of place when adjusting the fit or if I move my head in such a way that the heavy weight of the headphones presses less or more against my head.

Some searching on Head-Fi seemed to bring up owners of Audeze LCD-3 headphones having a similar crackle in what turned out to be defective drivers. Thoughts?

yes generally speaking large diaphragm planar drivers make a kinda crinkle noise if you push in the cups while they are on your head. I wouldn't be too worried.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #1,174 of 8,051
The M0160 is my first planar headphone so let me know if this issue is par for the course or not acceptable.

The right ear cup makes a crackling (sounds like a plastic candy wrapper) if I press on the cup (pressing air out and then letting air back in). It seems like the planar driver is being pushed in and out of place when adjusting the fit or if I move my head in such a way that the heavy weight of the headphones presses less or more against my head.

Some searching on Head-Fi seemed to bring up owners of Audeze LCD-3 headphones having a similar crackle in what turned out to be defective drivers. Thoughts?

I have got a similar issue with Audeze EL-8 closed and they did the free replacement. When we are paying so much money, I would expect it to be perfect.

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #1,176 of 8,051
Yikes a lot has happened today. 
confused_face.gif
  Glad the Warranty issue has been fixed. I am SOOO excited to receive these tomorrow!!  The only problem is I have never heard any of the "competing" $$$ headphones before, so I will have no idea if it sound great compared to them. 

I hope I love them!

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,178 of 8,051
  Anyone driving their new M1060's with a Jotunheim?  If so, how're you liking that combo?

I am.  This is a pairing made in heaven.  Jot has a forward sound signature which complements the laid back nature of the M1060.  Really a great pairing.  I'll go hardwired balanced after the 30 day period is up and then these should really shine.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #1,179 of 8,051

Interesting. I hear something similar at times with my HE-400i (which I've had about a month). It's not a big problem, since it only happens briefly and occasionally, though I can reproduce it by pushing down on the headband, or even working my jaw. I thought it was made by the pads with slight movement of the ear cup, but am not sure.

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #1,180 of 8,051
Another question
I bought the fulla 2 for work because it didn't require drivers and I am unable to get admin rights to download drivers on my computer. However I do hear a little bit of muffling/noise, possible distortion. The volume is it at 12'O clock or so.

Is there by chance any higher-end DAC/amp that is plug-and-play and does not require drivers

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #1,181 of 8,051
  Interesting. I hear something similar at times with my HE-400i (which I've had about a month). It's not a big problem, since it only happens briefly and occasionally, though I can reproduce it by pushing down on the headband, or even working my jaw. I thought it was made by the pads with slight movement of the ear cup, but am not sure.

This just means that there is a good seal.  The Audeze pads will help a bit.  Stax headphones do this too, so much so they coined the term "Stax fart" lol.

If this happens just pull both off your ears slightly to make them equal pressure again.

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #1,182 of 8,051
Yup.  The seal of the earcups is pretty much airtight, which causes the thin planar membrane to shift outwards due to the increased air pressure inside the earcups - which comes from the pads compressing against your head.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #1,184 of 8,051
  Anyone driving their new M1060's with a Jotunheim?  If so, how're you liking that combo?

I am.  This is a pairing made in heaven.  Jot has a forward sound signature which complements the laid back nature of the M1060.  Really a great pairing.  I'll go hardwired balanced after the 30 day period is up and then these should really shine.  

I also have a Jot (plus Mimby). I ordered the leather-free pads for 1060 based on your recommendation (my 1060's should arrive Friday, I think). I also plan to go XLR with 1060, as the extra oomph on Jot with XLR (5W/ch @32 Ohms vs  1.5W/ch @ 32 Ohms) should REALLY wake them up! I don't know if I can bring myself to go hardwired, though....
  This just means that there is a good seal.  The Audeze pads will help a bit.  Stax headphones do this too, so much so they coined the term "Stax fart" lol.

If this happens just pull both off your ears slightly to make them equal pressure again.

Being a Stax owner, this is a correct and true statement LOL! The crinkle (or slight "pop" when you remove them) just means there is an airtight seal around your ear.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #1,185 of 8,051
One more tweak, added a paper towel to cover the back of the driver placed under the grill.  It's about a half inch smaller than the foam that covers the driver.  I'm still tweaking the size but I'm liking the results.  I probably need to modify the front driver grill cover to get the best effects that I'm looking for.  That's down the line.

Results of current config:

M1060M aka super sub bass HD650
1fcb0b47_RedM1060StockGreenM1060Audezepadspluspapertoweloveroutsidedriver.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back