Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 25, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #661 of 8,051
  TMI! :) as in try them out and give thoughts. or rip them apart and take pictures!! Just  saying you  have them is just boasting. only serves one person hahah

:frowning2: Less boasting and more intended as a heads up to people with saturday orders to look out for them since its way faster than i expected them to arrive today.

First impressions I'm in love and need to listen more, but the left cup has a loose connection :C So if i tilt my head the wrong way its. . . :frowning2: But still in love.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #662 of 8,051

These are very early impressions. The sound is crisp and bright. The low end is definitely not as good as my LCD2s, not even close.

Sounds like I may be replacing my late production K240 Sextetts if the mid-range in the M1060's is as good as the Sextetts. I'll see on Wednesday. I'm married to my Sextetts though. They have their place in my house. I use them for female vocals, acoustic guitar, and 60's - 70's music.  

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #664 of 8,051

Never
Ever
buy a headphone based on his recommendation.

And i say this as someone who loves his channel and his personality.

I can't stand listening to this annoying blowhard and have stopped. (To clarify, I mean Z, not the poster.) The craptastically ugly yellow HD-600s are all you need to know.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #665 of 8,051
  I can't stand listening to this annoying blowhard and have stopped. (To clarify, I mean Z, not the poster.) The craptastically ugly yellow HD-600s are all you need to know.

That's a bit harsh lol.
To be fair, he only opened up an entertaining channel to express himself and he does put a lot of effort into doing the demos and tests. It's really not his fault people are treating his reviews as if they were a massage from headphones Jesus.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #666 of 8,051
COMPARISON TO LCD2

After some more sound analysis, I pulled out my LCD2 and compared it side by side with the M1060.

The M1060s clearly are made to emulate the feel and size of the LCD2, (much more than the Hifiman's) although the build quality may not be quite in the same league as the Audeze.

However, sound wise they both have similar power requirements as they are driven to similar sound levels at the same volume level.

The sound stage is similar, in fact the M1060 may be slightly better and has a slightly more open feeling.

After analyzing similar tracks on each, the bass level is actually not far off from each other.  My initial impression was that the LCD2 bass was much better but now that I heard them side by side they are not that far off.  The M1060 may be just a bit boomier and not quite as tight but still sounds very good.

The M1060 once again seemed a tad brighter which is not necessarily a bad thing depending on your listening likes.

Overall, I'm liking the sound of these headphones better than the build quality.

Unfortunately, I don't have a measuring rig but I am looking forward to someone posting some FR graphs.

I will let these burn in more today and see how i feel about the sound later.  If I have more impressions I will post them.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #669 of 8,051
Thanks for your initial impressions and nice photos, tgaguirre! 

How comfortable are these headphones? And how long is the cable?

I'm also a little disappointed the ear pads are not removable, but if the stock ones are comfortable, the glued-on pads may not be a big deal.

I wonder if anyone can compare the build quality and sound quality between the M560 and the M1060.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #670 of 8,051
  Thanks for your initial impressions and nice photos, tgaguirre! 

How comfortable are these headphones? And how long is the cable?

I'm also a little disappointed the ear pads are not removable, but if the stock ones are comfortable, the glued-on pads may not be a big deal.

I wonder if anyone can compare the build quality and sound quality between the M560 and the M1060.

They are very comfortable and not too heavy.  They feel lighter than the LCD2s.

The cable is 4 feet long, and just a note that the box did not come with a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #671 of 8,051
  :frowning2: Less boasting and more intended as a heads up to people with saturday orders to look out for them since its way faster than i expected them to arrive today.

First impressions I'm in love and need to listen more, but the left cup has a loose connection :C So if i tilt my head the wrong way its. . . :frowning2: But still in love.

Right on, I understand. 

So yes, the left connector on mine is also loose. cuts out if I move the right way.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #672 of 8,051
You compared them 
  COMPARISON TO LCD2

After some more sound analysis, I pulled out my LCD2 and compared it side by side with the M1060.

The M1060s clearly are made to emulate the feel and size of the LCD2, (much more than the Hifiman's) although the build quality may not be quite in the same league as the Audeze.

However, sound wise they both have similar power requirements as they are driven to similar sound levels at the same volume level.

The sound stage is similar, in fact the M1060 may be slightly better and has a slightly more open feeling.

After analyzing similar tracks on each, the bass level is actually not far off from each other.  My initial impression was that the LCD2 bass was much better but now that I heard them side by side they are not that far off.  The M1060 may be just a bit boomier and not quite as tight but still sounds very good.

The M1060 once again seemed a tad brighter which is not necessarily a bad thing depending on your listening likes.

Overall, I'm liking the sound of these headphones better than the build quality.

Unfortunately, I don't have a measuring rig but I am looking forward to someone posting some FR graphs.

I will let these burn in more today and see how i feel about the sound later.  If I have more impressions I will post them.

You also at one point mentioned the HE-400S - did you compare to them as well? If I already have focus pads on the HE-400S do you think theyre a worthwhile upgrade?

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #673 of 8,051

That's actually helpful already, seeing as some thought these might possibly be competitive with the LCD2...

No, it's actually not, being that the comparison is being made of fresh non-burned-in 1060 vs. burned in LCD2. It's a flawed comparison to draw conclusions from at this point. Your implication that the original comparison is invalid is premature.

Given the change in the 560s (and most headphones really), drawing conclusions based upon fresh out of the box cans isn't valid.

Once someone has 60-100 hours of burn-in, THEN valid comparisons using the same source and amp can be made.

If all headphone assessments and impressions were performed out of the box, there woul be  a hella lot more returned headphones across the entire cost spectrum.

I realize that conclusion jumping is an Olympic sport when it comes to consumer electronics, but sheesh... false start!

Initial impressions are welcome, but drawing conclusions from them is a mistake.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #675 of 8,051
I was really hoping for removable pads.  I'm sure they are "removable" by being attached with some glue...but I was hoping they would be attached in some other way.  I've always found velour pads to be more comfortable.

Oh well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back