Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 24, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #527 of 8,051
Ill be waiting for the 1060's impressions because I'm also interested with the fidelio x2hr though I'm quite skeptical because they cant seem to explain exactly the upgrade that they have done with the latest version.

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #528 of 8,051
Hello I just saw these headphones and have my eyes on the M1060, i'm just wondering if a portable amp such as the Cayin C5 (amp only) or the Xduoo XD-05 would be enough to power them? I'd be using my HTC 10 as the source as I am more than impressed with the Dac. But in the later future I might start making my self a desktop set up. But what portable or transportable amp would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend more than $500 Aud. That's why i'm currently looking at the C5 or XD-05 with the burson V5i. Please help :)

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #530 of 8,051
There was even an added bonus to ordering thru ebay up to midnite PST time zone, if lucky enough.

Ebay renewed the expired (and yet unavailable) Monoprice store add about an hour (@ 6pm) after it was available 2/23 on the Monoprice site.

It coincided with the 10 % ebay bucks offer some lucky folks receive from ebay, which expired at midnite PST time zone.

The ebay shipped price is $312, just a hair over $309 Monoprice site shipped to east coast USA.

But, 2 ways to look at the bonus discount...buying at $312 shipped  issued a 10% ebay bucks immediately of $31 to use on another ebay purchase in April. It's like getting a gift card. The 2 ways of reason are - if you want to buy something for $31 on ebay, then it will be free with ebay bucks accrued. Or, 2nd way to look at it is, if you were to buy that $31 item full price anyway, you sorta can assume it then takes it off the headphone NET price in the long run.

That means these sold for $281 brand new that way, with logic, if you buy about $30 of items otherwise later on with ebay (easily routine for many).

Plus, ebay's delivery time with free shipping is stated as either the same ship date or up to 4 days earlier, by Thurs 3/2.

Additionally, there are then 3 safety/return protections if checking out thru ebay + paypal + credit card.

Jumped on this deal, knowing I would spend $31 on ebay in the next 9 weeks (you can buy nearly anything you routinely use).

So, with a "sorta" net price of $281 shipped in 7 days or less, with warranty, how could we resist ?

Thinking this may be a junior version of LCD-2 Audeze sound signature rather than HiFiMan, as previously posted.

Gonna be fun to find out, but haven't heard the Audeze in ages.

Stoked all nite from this deal for a large-diaphragm size planar magnetic, I almost skipped (but of course did not !).

Not sure if this will be a Giant-Slayer or Junior, but for $281 it likely will remain in the collection.

If anyone has LCD-2 (shares same size diaphragm), and buys M1060, let us know your comparison, please.

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #531 of 8,051
The real killer is the 5y warranty, many Audeze owners seemingly had drivers failure after the 3y warranty ran out and it cost them a bundle to have them replaced.

I'll wait for you guys impressions and an ebay or monoprice coupon but $300 for 10cm drivers certainly sounds appealing 
evil_smiley.gif

the factory tour video Audeze did lost my business for them

White room for drivers assembly? Who needs that? LOL

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #532 of 8,051
Yes, and we're hoping & praying for no leftover B-stock, returned or refurbed Audeze drivers here in these Monoliths !

Kinda doubt it with this batch and going forward, I checked the "add to cart" max qty, which was at #315 units for sale remaining on ebay just awhile ago (probably shared with Monoprice site quantity), so we're all hoping for really fresh, updated A-1 first quality drivers from whomever the oem mfr is. I think they want 300 to 400 happy customers to start off with.

It was a concern of mine about Audeze driver failure, but for the price I jumped. And, hope this Monolith model doesn't go thru the "updated" future versions ( 0.2, 0.3 etc) ala Audeze always does.

Also thought as these sell forward, the price may increase, sorta thought we all saw a $350 retail pop up & then go away, after the initial newsbreak of $299, then it now went back to $299, I forget.

Good price, though, for brand new ones - only 400i (and "s"), Fostex models & M560 has been below & I think Sine just above this M1060 offering, unless forgetting some other inexpensive planars ?

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #534 of 8,051
Yeah, sorry, just enthusiastically stoked at the deal.

Anyone recall what the driver size is for the Fostex Planar Magnetics models, are any 106 mm ?

Anyone have a guess who the oem driver mfr is for M1060 ?

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #535 of 8,051
Hello I just saw these headphones and have my eyes on the M1060, i'm just wondering if a portable amp such as the Cayin C5 (amp only) or the Xduoo XD-05 would be enough to power them? I'd be using my HTC 10 as the source as I am more than impressed with the Dac. But in the later future I might start making my self a desktop set up. But what portable or transportable amp would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend more than $500 Aud. That's why i'm currently looking at the C5 or XD-05 with the burson V5i. Please help
smily_headphones1.gif

Bumping this post. Interested in essentially driving these headphones on mobile amps/lower end amps like the Fiio EK10. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #537 of 8,051
  Bumping this post. Interested in essentially driving these headphones on mobile amps/lower end amps like the Fiio EK10. 

You may be able to 'drive' it via some Fiio but for providing full power and hence making the drivers sing you need juice. Another thing, even though some Fiio product advertise high ratings they are not good at putting high output, they start distorting. That's why it's said an amp shouldn't break a sweat.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #538 of 8,051
Just bought the M1060!!! Total impulse buy. I just watched Zeo's review on the M560 and bought the 1060 in hopes it is $100 better. My only Planars are the T50 mk3 and I love them for music. Hears to hoping I don't regret the purchase.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #539 of 8,051
Just bought the M1060!!! Total impulse buy. I just watched Zeo's review on the M560 and bought the 1060 in hopes it is $100 better. My only Planars are the T50 mk3 and I love them for music. Hears to hoping I don't regret the purchase.

Please post your impressions when you receive it! This headphone is really intriguing, specially for that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back