Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Dec 12, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #318 of 8,051
That is your opinion only

It could be somebody else's as well. People have been known to share opinions. No seriously...it's true.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #321 of 8,051
Right before I was going to jump on the m560 I saw the hifiman he400i listed for 249.00 on Amazon, I had to jump on them. Glad I did. I love them.
Tony

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #322 of 8,051
Just a quick update. I moved the M560 into the role I bought it for this week - a portable headphone that lives in my backpack for listening at the office. Here is my feedback so far:  

1. The sound leakage I was concerned about (using them open) hasn't been an issue in the office setting. The ambient noise level at the office makes this a non-issue. 
  2. The Geek Out 720 I use to drive them is a really good pairing. The Geek's warmth and ample power works really well with the M560.  
  3. They aren't bass monsters (like my X00), but I wouldn't call them lacking in terms of bottom end.  
  4. The slightly aggressive / edgy treble response seems to have mellowed out as well. I don't know if this is just lots of hours of break in or the Geek Out driving them, but it's not an issue.  
  5. Midrange is slightly recessed / darker at lower volumes, but this is a trait I hear in planars in general. My MK3s and Ethers are the same way - so are my Magnepans for that matter. 
  6. I can wear them for hours at a time comfortably. No doubt a combination reasonable weight, pretty light clamping, and nice leather pads/headband. The self adjusting spring loaded headband is pretty sweet - no sliders to adjust.

People keep comparing them to the HiFiMAN HE-400I, which is a logical comparison based on the similar price and the fact they are both planars, but the M560 really is a different class of headphone if portability is a concern. HiFiMAN may have a real fight on their hands with the M1060 offering 106mm drivers and the build quality of the M560 for only $300. 

Summary: I think the M560 is definitely worth their $200 price point if you plan to use them as an open headphone. If you factor in the portability and build quality I believe they are a unique offering at this price point.  

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #323 of 8,051
I like the M560 so much, I returned my HE400i and T50rp mk3 w/ shure pads the same day I got it. I was thinking about buying the lcd-2 deal at adorama for $700 but not anymore I will be waiting for the 1060 instead. Monoprice did an amazing job for their first Planar release with its amazing build quality, comfy pads, quality cable and mid fi planar sq for such a low price!  

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #325 of 8,051
Monoprice is Chinese company?

No, thats Stereoprice which is

...i kid

but nice to see so many Canucks on here
biggrin.gif

These cans do look pretty but the reviews are all over the place! KO'ing the 400i? That, if true, well, no words (b/c of how some claim the 400i as hd600 slayer :p)

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #328 of 8,051
  Yup. As I've said in previous posts, I didn't even listen to them until around the 50 hour mark.  I decided to keep mine running long past that (probably 250-300 hours now) and the midrange has really opened up nicely - even at lower volumes. Whether that is a function of break in or just time for the film in the driver to relax I don't know, but there is a "bounce" to the sound which wasn't there at the first 100 hours.  

Are they my Ether Flows, no...  Are they probably the best option I have for my specific application, I believe so.  I just can't see myself spending Oppo PM-2 or Audeze EL-8 money for something that's going to be living in my work backpack.  They still aren't optimal at lower volumes, but they sound very nice at higher volumes when driven properly.  That all being said, I have decided to keep them. 

How do you feel about these over something like your t50rp mk3's?

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #329 of 8,051
  How do you feel about these over something like your t50rp mk3's?

I prefer the M560 with the wood backs off (open) over the MK3, but prefer the MK3 over the M560 with the wood backs on (closed). If you want something efficient, portable, and open then the M560 is the way to go. If you have a powerful amp, don't care about portability (folding earcups), and want something "semi-open" then the MK3 is the way to go. You can certainly run the M560 as a closed headphone, but they are much better (to my ears at least) with the backs off as an open headphone. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #330 of 8,051

I prefer the M560 with the wood backs off (open) over the MK3, but prefer the MK3 over the M560 with the wood backs on (closed). If you want something efficient, portable, and open then the M560 is the way to go. If you have a powerful amp, don't care about portability (folding earcups), and want something "semi-open" then the MK3 is the way to go. You can certainly run the M560 as a closed headphone, but they are much better (to my ears at least) with the backs off as an open headphone. 

Thanks for the input!
I'm sitting somewhere between buying $90 AKG K550's, buying the m560s, or stepping up for the HE 400i's or OPPO PM-3. Decisions, Decisions :C

But thanks for knocking that out for me :)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back