Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Dec 26, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #331 of 8,051
  Thanks for the input!
I'm sitting somewhere between buying $90 AKG K550's, buying the m560s, or stepping up for the HE 400i's or OPPO PM-3. Decisions, Decisions :C

But thanks for knocking that out for me :)!

Wow - all over the board! I'd say figure out if you want / need open or closed first. For what it's worth, I personally prefer open headphones most of the time, and my first set of "good" headphones were my HD 580. I still enjoy my HD 580 and they are a great baseline / reference point which I will always keep around.

The M560 met a specific need for me - a reasonably priced set (no more than $200) of open headphones which folded for travel use. I have been happy with them in that application and would recommend them to fit that need. The MK3 is a great choice if you want something more closed (it's a gaming headphone for me), but isn't really portable and needs a lot of power to sound its best. 

That being said, if I didn't have anything and wanted to start with something in the $200 range I'd probably say the Massdrop exclusive Sennheiser HD 6XX when they drop again (assuming they do). They are open, not portable, and need good amplification, but they are a great starting point and they'll give you an upgrade path since they respond really well to better upstream gear. Actually a lot of the Massdrop exclusive headphones are really nice for the money, but the HD 6XX would be where I'd personally start if I didn't have anything. Just my two cents :)

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #332 of 8,051
I spend more time with the M560 yesterday and these are excellent headphones. There is actually some very deep bass here, where originally I had a hard time finding any bottom. The entire bass range is very even. But again, this is after I flexed-in the metal headband to make the fit more snug. It makes a huge difference to your perception of the sound over time.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #333 of 8,051
M560 looks like a solid buy for sure but what im really wanting to know is more info about the M1060. It looks to me like a Audeze LCD clone or a hifi 560 clone both of which sound very good and is well documented. The cable in the product pics for it looks interesting i wonder whats the termination at the ear cups but the cable itself looks badass.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #338 of 8,051
  I spend more time with the M560 yesterday and these are excellent headphones. There is actually some very deep bass here, where originally I had a hard time finding any bottom. The entire bass range is very even. But again, this is after I flexed-in the metal headband to make the fit more snug. It makes a huge difference to your perception of the sound over time.

Great tip on headband
smily_headphones1.gif
     Keen to get either M560 or M1060. My preference is M560 due to versatility but M1060 look very interesting, too. Always wanted to try Audeze LCD and if M1060 close to LCD series in terms of sound, it might be product of the year... :)

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #339 of 8,051

Great tip on headband
smily_headphones1.gif
     Keen to get either M560 or M1060. My preference is M560 due to versatility but M1060 look very interesting, too. Always wanted to try Audeze LCD and if M1060 close to LCD series in terms of sound, it might be product of the year... :)

It does have the smooth mellow quality of the LCD series. Very relaxed in the upper mids (maybe a bit too relaxed for some) but that also means nary a hint of harshness.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #341 of 8,051
I hope they have good stock. I'm buying a set no matter what.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #345 of 8,051
Ordered one as well! Subscriptions have their privileges!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back