Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 28, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #1,111 of 8,051

I think the only issue I can see, Is the PITA that it would be to prove it to those reps that are not aware of the situation....
Is better to have it on their page or even posted here by a Monoprice rep that they will honor it.
To my it seems like a case by case deal.... I hope somebody from Monoprice speaks up.

But in all honesty those are grate news and is a step forward!

Can anyone prove what the date was that they changed the policy? Are they going to make this public? I think I want a card stating I have a 5 year warranty & I want it on a gold star like Nikon's 5 year warranties! Then I'll get a warm, fuzzy feeling in my Fruit of the Looms!
popcorn.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,113 of 8,051
I just did the chat on the warranty issue and got my email confirmation on 5 years. My heaphones are arriving today and I am concerened that they are good but have  terrible connectors. I  wonder if it is worth keeping them and having a hard wired cable made for the if thee woth the investment. I own the  HIFIMAN HE-400I and if there not any different or better I guess I will return them . I am glad their is no restocking fee from Monoprice.  

I also have the Aeon's on order and I am not worried that Dan's heaphones will be built great and beat anything for the price.  I ordered the Vegan Audeze pads and might have them up for sale since they will be  brand new.  

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #1,114 of 8,051
"Wendy: Yes, for this order, with pid 16050 we will honor the 5 year warranty. Just make sure to keep your order number in a safe place :)"
Direct quote from Monoprice livechat.

I guess it's time for all of us to archive our confirmation email! Heck, I'm gonna print mine out and keep it in my storage case as a hard back-up

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #1,115 of 8,051
  I was one of them. The warranty alone had me sold.
If we scream loud enough they will listen!

I am furious about this. 

THIS THIS THIS. We need to be vocal and get this reverted. 

Reducing the warranty by 4 years after the first batch sold is absolutely RIDICULOUS. I actually opted to cancel my order at first, then reversed the cancellation because of the warranty. 

I am not confident with these headphones connectors and the one year warranty. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #1,116 of 8,051
Will those power just about anything I would need to? 

Yes the Schiit stack will power just about any headphone. But if you're into this hobby, the Jot maybe the better way to go long term. Balanced out is nice for a ridiculous amount of power. The Vali 2 is great for tuning the sound with different tubes. Vali is not much more and worth the extra cost IMO.

Got my M1060's coming to me Thursday. Not to beat the question to death, but I'm also wondering what the best combo would be. Should i get the Magni 2 Uber and the Modi 2 Uber ($300), or go full-on and buy the Jotunheim with the balanced DAC ($499). Is the Jot worth the extra money in the long run?

Jot is getting insanely good reviews, has balanced operation, and is an endgame type amp. Desire to upgrade should be minimal. DAC section can also be upgraded in the future, Modi requires an entirely new purchase.

So, I have a Creative X7 also, and a Fulla 2.  I am curious why the audiophile world has seemed to reject the Creative X7....can anyone fill me in why?  I noticed the Creative X7 is doing horribly on Massdrop.

I should be getting my M1060 on Wednesday.  Been thinking about getting a Aune X7 and using my Fulla 2 as its DAC. Thoughts?

I own and adore the X7. It's a great DAC, and with RCA outs to a tube amp, it's difficult to do much better. I have upgraded the op amps to Sparkos, and that made it even better. It compares well to my Modi Multibit. No DAC does what the X7 does until Smyth launches the A8 later this year, and it's 4-5 times the cost of the X7.

X7 is truly audiophile grade with the op amps swapped out. With stock, it's still really, really good and a steal at $300. Virtual surround sound is amazing, and as a city dweller now, my 5.1 system was sold off. Shockingly, I don't miss it at all.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #1,117 of 8,051
Just talked to support. I placed an order yesterday on Amazon for a pair, and they said it will be under the 5 year warranty. Yay!

They also said from orders placed today and forward, it is one year.

Wow, good thing I placed it yesterday.... good timing on that.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,118 of 8,051
  Just talked to support. I placed an order yesterday on Amazon for a pair, and they said it will be under the 5 year warranty. Yay!

They also said from orders placed today and forward, it is one year.

Wow, good thing I placed it yesterday.... good timing on that.

Oh wow, this is the one time when being an early adapter pays off. The difference between a 5-year and 1-year warranty is huge, especially for headphones. I'm glad that I pulled the trigger on mine early now.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,119 of 8,051
Yeah, it was like a spur of the moment decision. I'm glad I went for it, because that is a great perk to have.

5 years manufacturer warranty is unheard of in general nowadays. Not so worried about that connector knowing its covered for 5 years.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,120 of 8,051
It's a bummer that my pragmatic attitude prevented me from placing my order before today and I'm really glad Monoprice are going to honor it for those that did buy earlier, but this begs the question:

Why did they change the length of the warranty?

Was it early issues with the connectors? Did they think they weren't going to sell well and because they started selling well they figured that they didn't need that 5 year warranty as a selling point? I have noticed they have dropped the 5 year warranty from some of their other Monolith products (like the center channel speaker) but it remains, at least when I checked this morning, on some of the others (like the bookshelf speakers). Why the inconsistency? This whole situation is rather bizarre.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #1,121 of 8,051
You know, the M560 had the 5-year warranty as well and it also got slashed to 1-year today along with the M1060. I don't think there's been any complaint about the M560's build quality. So, I doubt it's because of the M1060's connector.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #1,124 of 8,051
Maybe the issues with the connector will improve by the time I get rid of the HD700 and make up my mind between the M1060 and R70x. That way I wouldn't be worried about having just 1 yr warranty. But I do wish that I tried to move away from the HD700 an month earlier instead at the last min, so i could have had the money ready and jumped in. But then again I didn't expect them to do something like this. So I prolly still would had missed out on it just from trying decide between the two any way. Would be wishful thinking to be able to buy extended warranty on headphones in general.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #1,125 of 8,051
I'm happy to have the 5 year warranty on mine, but early adopters always run the risk of getting 'open beta' quality products that will need more service in the long run. After seeing some of the initial feedback, this seems true for the M1060s.  

So, for those patient enough to wait a few months to purchase these will probably benefit from improvements in production that will mean better initial build-quality and durability in the long run.  Plus, it could lead to some interesting price wars soon, which could put other, superior gear near this price range in '17.  

Last thing, many credit card companies offer a benefit where they will effectively double your warranty on most items that you purchase with it.  It's saved my bacon more than once and would give you a 2 year warranty on these, which is still great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back