Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 31, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #7,862 of 8,051
I just sticked the super thin thermolam to the open grilles like speaker cloth. Some of my customers are iffy with their cans open and attractimg dust and debris. Softens the hard edges too so the highs and mids wouldn't be so shrill fully open.

As for dynamat, just place them near the edge ring. One of my buddies also tried sticking cork. Apparently, they like damping a lot

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #7,863 of 8,051
Do ANY of the regulars use M1060's stock? I like the wood exterior additions, but I never mod headphones. If I don't like the sound, I just sell them at a loss and move on.

Just curious. I will do a search and see if there is a poll on this subject in the thread. But for any veterans of this thread, have you stayed stock?

Shane D

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #7,864 of 8,051
Do ANY of the regulars use M1060's stock? I like the wood exterior additions, but I never mod headphones. If I don't like the sound, I just sell them at a loss and move on.

Just curious. I will do a search and see if there is a poll on this subject in the thread. But for any veterans of this thread, have you stayed stock?

Shane D
I know this isn't what you are asking, exactly, but I think it might be useful to you.

If you aren't going to mod at all, I would give the M1060 a hard pass since they don't sound (or measure) very good out of the box. The metal grilles and stock pads really hold the sound back, IMO. The C is better out of the box, from my understanding, but being closed limits the sound potential. I think your money would be better spent on a Verum 1 if you don't want to mod but still want that big planar sound (but no, they are not made from real wood). I have followed that thread since they started shipping and I haven't seen a very big desire to mod it all beyond a pad swap and that's still pretty rare. I'm planning on picking one up at some point.

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #7,865 of 8,051
I know this isn't what you are asking, exactly, but I think it might be useful to you.

If you aren't going to mod at all, I would give the M1060 a hard pass since they don't sound (or measure) very good out of the box. The metal grilles and stock pads really hold the sound back, IMO. The C is better out of the box, from my understanding, but being closed limits the sound potential. I think your money would be better spent on a Verum 1 if you don't want to mod but still want that big planar sound (but no, they are not made from real wood). I have followed that thread since they started shipping and I haven't seen a very big desire to mod it all beyond a pad swap and that's still pretty rare. I'm planning on picking one up at some point.

Thanks for the feedback. That is about what I have been reading for a couple of years. Every so often they go on sale in Canada via Amazon and I always think Hmmm...:gs1000smile:

Better I keep to myself. I am up to six pairs now, but I just can't stop reading HeadFi, damn it!

Shane D

Sep 6, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #7,866 of 8,051
Thanks for the feedback. That is about what I have been reading for a couple of years. Every so often they go on sale in Canada via Amazon and I always think Hmmm...:gs1000smile:

Better I keep to myself. I am up to six pairs now, but I just can't stop reading HeadFi, damn it!

Shane D
Without a doubt they are an amazing project, not hard to achieve, getting the pads on and printing a pair of grills, even adding the fuzzor ain’t hard, 30 minutes at most

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #7,867 of 8,051

Shane D
I really enjoyed them stock, but it is so easy to make them SO MUCH better with the community mods. It was a fun little journey. With each mod I did I would get the excitement of trying out a new pair of cans. And they really do become stellar modded.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #7,868 of 8,051

Shane D

I am too clumsy to mod, but since I got both of my 1060’s used (one v1 with the annoying MMCX connector, the other the newer variation), they were already modded.

The newer version is stock except for the grills and the original grills were included, but I’ve been too lazy to swap them out just to hear what a completely stock M1060 sounds like since I found the sound with the replacement grills to be to my liking.

I suspect you’ll find that most of the “regulars” have pairs that are modded to some extent.

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #7,869 of 8,051
Monoprice Debuts New Offerings at CEDIA 2019

Monolith M1570 Balanced Planar Headphone ($599.99)
8A4C1749-748D-4F74-9FF8-58EA7A4E4D55.jpeg

Monolith M1070 Planar Headphone ($399.99)
76272EF1-1F9F-4BD3-A6B9-D8AC67E6D9E3.jpeg

Monolith M570 Planar Headphone ($299.99)
2BFA1B37-53A9-4777-8CFB-04F3A92502B5.jpeg

Monolith M350 In Ear Planar Earphone($149.99)
EAD89A23-1E6D-4FF8-9BB2-D4E65F2E861D.jpeg

Monolith Liquid Gold Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC by Alex Cavalli ($999.99)
A6ED69CF-8A79-461C-945E-CBDC3D34CDF1.jpeg

Monolith Liquid Platinum DAC by Alex Cavalli ($499.99)
EFC4C4C4-8EA5-4274-9E93-F6FD39548B4B.jpeg

Monolith Liquid Spark DAC by Alex Cavalli ($99.99)
FEE1C6E8-040D-4C1F-8534-ADAD7FE857DF.jpeg

Monolith Balanced Headphone Amplifier featuring THX AAA Technology ($399.99)
654FAF33-C96D-428B-9BCB-B0A433432FAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #7,870 of 8,051
wonder if they made any changes or tuning to the 1070's besides the obvious headband. interesting offers indeed i'm glad I held off buying another pair of m1060c's. That amp pretty much looks like a carbon copy of the THX 789 from massdrop but a tad more premium looking and slightly lower distortion levels.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #7,871 of 8,051

Shane D

If you are not gonna mod them just don't buy them, they don't worth it stock.

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #7,872 of 8,051
Monoprice Debuts New Offerings at CEDIA 2019

Your post includes an excellent thread starter for the three headphones*. Be sure to explicitly mention each on the topic. Please post the link to it here so we can subscribe.

*[and the same for the IEM and again for the DACs and amps, but I have not checked the other forums for threads.]

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #7,873 of 8,051
Is the warranty transferable if 1060 bought in same country used ...?
....and any consensus on best after-market pads to use with them...Dekoni Elite velour etc

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #7,874 of 8,051
Is the warranty transferable if 1060 bought in same country used ...?
....and any consensus on best after-market pads to use with them...Dekoni Elite velour etc

I've tried MrSpeakers Alphas, ZMF Ovals and Suedes, Brainwavz XL, Audeze Leather and Vegan, Vesper Audio Alcantara (custom order), stock pads from the Verum 1, Dekoni Elite Velour (from LCD2), and I'm sure a couple I can't think of atm, lol. I find the Audeze Vegans or custom order Alcantara pads from Vesper Audio to be the best for the M1060 and the M1060C. The comfort of both are great and the sound stage is opened up a bit over stock with no loss of bass. HERE is a post a made a while back when I got the Vesper pads in that shows how comparable to the Vegan pads they are.

I haven't tried the new Dekoni Suedes though, I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone tries them on a M1060/C model.

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #7,875 of 8,051
I've tried MrSpeakers Alphas, ZMF Ovals and Suedes, Brainwavz XL, Audeze Leather and Vegan, Vesper Audio Alcantara (custom order), stock pads from the Verum 1, Dekoni Elite Velour (from LCD2), and I'm sure a couple I can't think of atm, lol. I find the Audeze Vegans or custom order Alcantara pads from Vesper Audio to be the best for the M1060 and the M1060C. The comfort of both are great and the sound stage is opened up a bit over stock with no loss of bass. HERE is a post a made a while back when I got the Vesper pads in that shows how comparable to the Vegan pads they are.

I haven't tried the new Dekoni Suedes though, I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone tries them on a M1060/C model.
Thanks about to pick up Cs for a friend after reading C planar disc is better than the original one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back