Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 16, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #7,126 of 8,051
If you are thinking about using the screws that you can see when you remove the pad, don't. They hold the driver together and the magnets in place. More than one person on this forum has ruined their driver by removing these screws.

^^This. Don't touch any of those screws!

Small PSA: It's finals week for me so I'm taking a break from fazor/grill orders for a week.

May 16, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #7,127 of 8,051
If you are thinking about using the screws that you can see when you remove the pad, don't. They hold the driver together and the magnets in place. More than one person on this forum has ruined their driver by removing these screws.

Well that's good to know. Thanks for the warning! I probalby would have tried it, and would have been very sad....

May 16, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #7,128 of 8,051
mmm see at th

So no way to remove one and then replace with a longer if needed? then when that is in place do the other ones.

May 16, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #7,129 of 8,051
^^This. Don't touch any of those screws!

Small PSA: It's finals week for me so I'm taking a break from fazor/grill orders for a week.

Could you combine the fazor and pad ring and bring the pad ring as close as possible to the metal?

May 16, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #7,130 of 8,051
mmm see at th

So no way to remove one and then replace with a longer if needed? then when that is in place do the other ones.

I don't know, that may work. I have never touched the screws, only seen the horror stories. It's up to you whether it's worth the risk or not.

May 16, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #7,131 of 8,051
Could you combine the fazor and pad ring and bring the pad ring as close as possible to the metal?

Just get fazor pad v3 and use double sided tape for mounting.

V4.1 fazors was meant to have a gap for pad rolling. It is more of an alternative option than an upgrade.

May 17, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #7,132 of 8,051
Not sure if anyone asked this but should this become the m1060 only thread as they 560 is a completely different machine.

May 17, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #7,133 of 8,051
Not sure if anyone asked this but should this become the m1060 only thread as they 560 is a completely different machine.

I don't think there is enough interest in the M560 to warrant its own thread. They are talked about here maybe 1 hundredth as often as the M1060.

May 17, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #7,134 of 8,051
So, I guess these mods and grills are secured with screws directly into the wood rings. Don't the screw holes wear out or get messed up from all the "testing"?

May 17, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #7,135 of 8,051
So, I guess these mods and grills are secured with screws directly into the wood rings. Don't the screw holes wear out or get messed up from all the "testing"?
When I was tuning mine I just held on the grill with 4 small pieces of masking tape to minimize risk of stripping the holes. Masking tape isn't sticky enough to damage anything. I learned this trick while modding my T20RP.

May 19, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #7,136 of 8,051
I got my Magni 2 Uber and wow!
Even though it's b-stock it looks brand new.
It's insanely powerful, to the point where I have to lower the output on my laptop to 1/10 of full signal.
Its kinda annoying that the output to the speakers is way lower then the output to my headphones, so I have to turn up the sound on my laptop to about 60/100% then turn in back down when I want to use my headphones.

May 19, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #7,137 of 8,051
It's insanely powerful, to the point where I have to lower the output on my laptop to 1/10 of full signal.
Its kinda annoying that the output to the speakers is way lower then the output to my headphones, so I have to turn up the sound on my laptop to about 60/100% then turn in back down when I want to use my headphones.

How is your laptop connected to the Magni, does it have a line out from the laptop? If you are using the headphone output, you are using the headphone amp in the laptop as well as the external one, which kind of defeats the object of an external amp. Also, if the volume control is digital, you are lowering the bit rate of the audio, if it's analogue you are not.

May 19, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #7,138 of 8,051

Now you gotta get a DAC so you are not just amping the computer amp.

May 20, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #7,140 of 8,051
Grabbed a pair of m1060s...I really like these. I don't notice any of the complaints that people have mentioned, and it sort of hits the "all around" mark that my SHP9500s also does. It's got a nice representation across all frequencies to me, but still has a very fun "groove" to it due to bass quality and the overall warmer tilt. It's definitely not as gritty or bright sounding as the SHP9500s and has a very smooth character to it. I don't want to say that these are "relaxed", but they're not as up front and edgy as I was thinking they could be; these are just very easy to listen to. The most noticeable thing to me is that it just sort of feels like the bass/mids/treble all sort of happily coexist, and that everything in the song sort of sits in the mix on its own without being overwhelmed/blurred/overshadowed by anything else. These are winners.

Build quality though is just funny...flippy, floppy, sort of creeky feeling stuff...but the pads are great and it does sit very steadily on my head without any problems. A headband upgrade would probably make these really great to wear. I can also see immediately where people would get the idea to try a more breathable pad on these...SHP9500s do sound more open and airy, and I think it's due to the porous cloth pads vs the glued/sealed leather pads. I'm interested in seeing how these sound without the foam inserts and can see why people try to put those vegan pads on these. I like them a lot as they are, but I bet they would sound amazing if opened up a bit.

I have a pair of the m560s coming on Monday, but I'm pretty sure I'll be sending them back and keeping the m1060s. Still going to test them out though, but the m1060 is such a good thing and I can't see how I could let them go now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back