Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Oct 30, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #5,986 of 8,051
This is one of the craziest comments I have ever heard in any headphone forum, and I have heard a lot of weird stuff. I have the HD800s and until very recently had the M1060's vegan/fuzzor modded. I loved the M1060s probably more than most. Comparison to HD800 just doesn't make sense. The M1060 is a planar that is slightly warm while HD800 is dynamic that is slightly bright. The M1060 is tuned more to the Harman curve and the HD800 is definitely more diffuse field tuned. They are probably just about the most opposite headphones in terms of comparisons. I don't know what type of music you listen to, but the HD800 is geared toward "audiophiles" and excels in detail, imaging, soundstage, and particularly meant for classical and orchestral types of music. Comparing those genres vs M1060 isn't even close. The M1060 is definitely a more fun, bassy headphone that does well with modern pop, electronic, hip hop, and more forgiving of poorly mastered music.

I can completely understand if people don't like the tonal balance of HD800 as that is all preference. But HD800 should at least be respected as one of the best engineered drivers to date and is without a doubt technically superior to M1060. For the used prices of ~$600 for HD800 I think that is one of the best values in headphones you can get. Here are the objective measurements of both headphones. Pay attention to the THD and impulse response technicalities of HD800.

if someone enjoy M1060 better then HD800 doesn't it make M1060 out perform HD800 to that person? Measurements means nothing if it sounds terrible to the listener and there are alot of people find HD800 unbearable to listen to.

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #5,987 of 8,051
if someone enjoy M1060 better then HD800 doesn't it make M1060 out perform HD800 to that person? Measurements means nothing if it sounds terrible to the listener and there are alot of people find HD800 unbearable to listen to.

I think it is different. Using the term "performance" to me is more about technical abilities, something you can at least somewhat quantify or associate with some metrics. I know measurements in headphones are a touchy topic, but I believe there are "better" drivers than others in terms of performance (not necessarily tuning). For me, there are headphones that I think are technically great like HE-1000v2, but in terms of my listening preferences I would prefer listening to something like HD650, which has very real technical flaws like lacking sub-bass extension and higher bass distortion. So I would never say that HD650 "outperforms" HE-1000v2 just because I prefer listening to HD650. That is why I find it unfair to use the phrase "M1060 outperforms HD800" rather than simply stating one prefers the sound of M1060 over HD800. I don't mean to be pedantic about it, but I wouldn't want someone that has never heard an HD800 to now write it off because it has been declared that M1060 "outperforms" it.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #5,988 of 8,051
Everyone here gotta understand that subjective terms like 'better' or 'natural' are commonly used to mean very different things for different people. Measurements are one thing, but trying to convince people that one headphone is 'better' than or 'absolute crap' compared to another is pointless. Case in point: I have both M1060 and HD800, listening through R2R-11 and whoever tells me M1060 is a superior headphone in this standoff will just get a smirk from me. HD800 is probably an extreme case of a polarizing headphone, so if your deal is to stir some crap with it, then by all means (although I'd prefer you did that far away from this forum), but there are people, like me, for whom it actually is the best sounding headphone for everything.

If you enjoy comparisons, then make and discuss them, but keep in mind people have different ears.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #5,991 of 8,051
For the fazor mod, how do you tape the pad adaptor (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2569234) to the driver? there is quite a large gap on the side after placing the fazor on the driver.

Any hint is much appreciated! thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/xhOi3
xhOi3

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #5,992 of 8,051
You'll need to use tape or a little glue stick on the the little tabs on the fazors, not the pad adaptor to attach it to the drivers. The gap is intentional to allow pad rolling with stuff like HM5 or Shure pads.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #5,993 of 8,051
Can you elaborate a little because I'm not sure what you mean.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #5,994 of 8,051
9hMr4LJ.jpg

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #5,998 of 8,051
Don't know if this is common knowledge on the forum, as I have tunnel vision for this one thread

I noticed after minimal usage, the pads started to lighten in color and take on a bit more of a rubbery (less giving) feel. I applied leather conditioner cream (which can be found at most shoe stores) and the tactile difference is notably better than when new.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #5,999 of 8,051
Wish massdrop would drop m1060... Anyone know how to get m1060 inside EU?
To the topic: If you pick HD800s then why not Hifiman Edition X 2nd ver.?

I absolutely LOVE the Hifiman HE-X V2s. I went to a rather large meet last year, and these were my favorites by far. The HE-1000 V2 were very nice, and had more detail, too much detail. Same with the HD800s I heard. I listened to just about every headphone up to $3,000. I listen to plenty of music that isn't recorded very well. Those extra details from the other TOTL headphones ruined some music, making them an expensive, limited listening headphone.

The HE-X V2s still have tons of detail, large soundstage, and no weird frequency response spikes that stood out. They're also super comfortable, very easy to drive, and do well with everything I throw at them.

Still need to mod the M1060s again, with the Fazor plates I got recently. I've physically been struggling with my back problems, and just can't concentrate to add them. I really enjoy the M1060s, and they get a good portion of my listening time. They aren't the HE-X V2s, but they are still very good, especially at their price (paid $60 for the Vegans when I ordered my V1 M1060s). Even with the Fazor mods and new grill plate, I'm under $400 total (including taxes and shipping).

I despise leather headphone pads, but sadly I cannot find a suitable replacement pad for my TH-X00 Ebony that doesn't kill the bass. These are my basshead cans, and thankfully the stock pads don't bother me much. They get more use since I added 3.5mm cable plugs, removing the terribly long and thick stock cable (that can't be removed, insane for a $500 headphone).

Need to get the M1060s modded before the Smyth Research A16 comes in the next few months. Then I can just set them up once and be done with it.

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #6,000 of 8,051
Don't know if this is common knowledge on the forum, as I have tunnel vision for this one thread

I noticed after minimal usage, the pads started to lighten in color and take on a bit more of a rubbery (less giving) feel. I applied leather conditioner cream (which can be found at most shoe stores) and the tactile difference is notably better than when new.
Are you certain that it won't be harmful to the pads in the long term as they are not actually leather, but.. pleather?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back