Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Nov 2, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #6,002 of 8,051
Would someone be kind enough to give me a quick rundown of the top most commonly used alternate pads (aside from Audeze Vegans) that most people seem to agree enhance rather than detract from the stock sound? I've got some M1060 V2s on the way to me and would like to pick up a few sets of alt pads but am not sure what all's been tried and found beneficial. Thanks

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #6,003 of 8,051
For custom designed pads visit our site (google my nickname). We had many orders for m1060 pads last months. Hope there were headfiers among customers and someone will share impressions here.

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #6,004 of 8,051
I've had some more time to take in these cans with fazor, rear grill, and pad mod.

It's amazing.

I did not try the mods individually, so I'm not sure which one did the most for the sound.

When I wrote about my first impressions I was being conservative. I didn't want to be too influenced by the placebo effect.

The more I wear them, the more I'm starting to hear details I haven't heard in the prior ~20-30 hours, and actually haven't heard in any of my prior cans (Shure SE215, Beyer DT770, Senn HD598). I'm finally hearing the "expansive reverb" I liked in the SE215 and HD598. I'm hearing a lot more space between the details that was flat before. I'm hearing more clear sparkle where there was harshness before.

There is one downside, I have found a handful of recordings so far that sound a little too warm, for example Daft Punk - Random Access Memories. Although certain details don't have that excessive warmth, so I suspect maybe I'm hearing the warmth they intended all along...?

Prior to doing the mods, I eq'd the bass to be louder up to 77hz because I thought, "even if I don't like these cans for everything, at least they have good bass". Since doing the mods I mostly listen to them without eq, except for certain genres. Even when flattening the eq, Daft Punk - RAM seems too warm, but maybe I just need to get used to it.

For custom designed pads visit our site (google my nickname). We had many orders for m1060 pads last months. Hope there were headfiers among customers and someone will share impressions here.

I might be interested in trying out some nicer ear pads in a couple months. I don't love the Velpad I'm using now.

There is a typo on your site: https://vesperaudio.com/earpads "frienfly" should be "friendly".

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #6,006 of 8,051
Ok, I elaborated on this a little bit more in the LCD-2 impressions thread, but I finally received my LCD-2 back from Audeze. I'll be doing a direct comparison between them and the M1060 for everyone, so if anyone has any SPECIFIC questions they would like answered, I'd be more than happy to do so for them.

Here's a photo of the LCD-2:
DSC03933.jpg

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #6,007 of 8,051
Ok, I elaborated on this a little bit more in the LCD-2 impressions thread, but I finally received my LCD-2 back from Audeze. I'll be doing a direct comparison between them and the M1060 for everyone, so if anyone has any SPECIFIC questions they would like answered, I'd be more than happy to do so for them.

Here's a photo of the LCD-2:

I’d just like to know your overall impressions between the two. More specifically if they were retailed the same, which do you prefer and why? I’ve always been very interested in the LCD-2 but have never pulled the trigger. I’ve been very pleased with my modded M106 for half the price, even with the substantial cost “to my preferred” pad swap ($80) some nice tubes and a little EQ’ing....oh and a little circle of Bounty paper towel.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #6,008 of 8,051
I’d just like to know your overall impressions between the two. More specifically if they were retailed the same, which do you prefer and why? I’ve always been very interested in the LCD-2 but have never pulled the trigger. I’ve been very pleased with my modded M106 for half the price, even with the substantial cost “to my preferred” pad swap ($80) some nice tubes and a little EQ’ing....oh and a little circle of Bounty paper towel.
Initial impressions are: LCD-2 has similar sound signature, but with more detail, tighter but more present bass. Can't tell just yet, but will update as I listen more. Things are looking good in favor of the LCD-2.

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #6,012 of 8,051
Zeos let it slip that there's another rev of the M1060 coming out.

Start at about 9:40, into the youtube video:

I don't think there is a revision 3 on the way. I think he is still using a revision 1 and I think Monoprice promised to send him a revision 2. I could be wrong, though.

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #6,013 of 8,051
Zeos let it slip that there's another rev of the M1060 coming out.

Start at about 9:40, into the youtube video:
He has the first revision, so is it not possible he's talking about the rev.2?

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #6,014 of 8,051
In retrospect, you could be correct. Just seems like an extended amount of time, for MP to be only now sending him a rev. 2

He has the first revision, so is it not possible he's talking about the rev.2?
I don't think there is a revision 3 on the way. I think he is still using a revision 1 and I think Monoprice promised to send him a revision 2. I could be wrong, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back