Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Oct 29, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #5,971 of 8,051
Do yall guys have yours on sale or something? There's a lot of them being sold on the for sale section. LOL. The price of 800 went down to 8-900 range. Still over valued. Tuning is terrible.

Your logics makes no sense. If a headphone needs a specific source to correct it(whatever that limited source it can be), the general characteristic is known, which is it's bad tuning. I have tried many many sources, and nothing has really fixed the damn tuning.
I 'think' the 800 'S' coming out has been the cause of the price reduction. I sold mine well over a year ago, and I agree, the 800's were perhaps flawed and I believe the 800'S' is the cure. Doesn't make the 800 a 'bad' can, just a spayshall needs can :)

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #5,972 of 8,051
HD800 to M1060.. that's like comparing a Kia Optima to a Mercedes S class. Optima's are great and very nice for the price but the level of refinement on an S class, or in this case, the HD800 series is quite contrasting, just as many have already alluded. I only owned the HD800 for a year before I ended up selling mine, online to realize later that the sound changed drastically depending on the amp that was being used. At the time I only had one Amp, the Wheatfield Audio HA-1 (I'm probably dating myself now) which I bought from headroom many years back and had sufficed for all my other headphones prior so I assumed it was the headphone that was bad therefore I ended up selling it. Now I kinda wish I didn't but I do like the way the HD800s sounds so maybe I'll get that.. but the Ether flow is super attractive too. Anyway, back to the subject: I think the m1060 is the best sounding planar headphone in it's price range but I guess all that could also be argued depending on what genre of music you listen to, what format you're listening from, taking into consideration the rest of the hardware setup you're using, etc. I prefer live recordings of instruments personally and i've enjoyed my m1060 a lot but higher end headphones will still still give me that extra bit of realism that the m1060 can't provide me.

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #5,973 of 8,051
I followed this thread for a while. Had to quit because posts were piling up and hype was strong on this one.

My question is should I try m1060? I would end up paying about 450usd to get it to Finland. Getting audeze pads would Be another 100usd. Say 550 total. Buying New get's The guarantee but If I have to send The headphones back that would cost me about 60usd.

I can get used first gen t1 for 400-500usd, lcd2 for 500-600usd, hd800 for 600-700usd. So IS there any point in getting these headphones because those would cost More than used t1, about The same as lcd2 and not much less than used hd800.

I know I use The word used alot but shipping rates are quite a killer for refunds.

Also he400i/400s is about 30% cheaper than moniprice.

Any thoughts?
I have all of the headphones you listed except for the M1060 (which I've heard only once) but it was not modded so keep that in mine. If going with the T1 or HD800 need to consider an amp that will pair with them, most would say an OTL amp. The LCD-2 and HE400i would be easier to drive and are less amp picky than the HD800 & T1. I were buying today and cost is an issue I'd go with the HE400i since it is less amp picky and the cheaper price would make them easier to sell if you don't like them. My second choice would be the T1 but with the knowledge that it will need a decent amp to pair with so that would be added cost. Third choice would be LCD-2 but be aware that the weight is an issue for some.
It would help if you could provide what type of sound you prefer? warm, detailed, resolving, wide sound stage, deep bass, sparkle in the treble, etc and also the genre of music you prefer and even how loud you normally listen at.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #5,974 of 8,051
I have all of the headphones you listed except for the M1060 (which I've heard only once) but it was not modded so keep that in mine. If going with the T1 or HD800 need to consider an amp that will pair with them, most would say an OTL amp. The LCD-2 and HE400i would be easier to drive and are less amp picky than the HD800 & T1. I were buying today and cost is an issue I'd go with the HE400i since it is less amp picky and the cheaper price would make them easier to sell if you don't like them. My second choice would be the T1 but with the knowledge that it will need a decent amp to pair with so that would be added cost. Third choice would be LCD-2 but be aware that the weight is an issue for some.
It would help if you could provide what type of sound you prefer? warm, detailed, resolving, wide sound stage, deep bass, sparkle in the treble, etc and also the genre of music you prefer and even how loud you normally listen at.
I use first version of spl phonitor. 1.6w @600ohms so amping hd800 and t1 is not an issue. It's not that good with lower impedance planars but some people have reported that it is fairly capable of running he6 allthough definately not an ideal Match.

I used to own T1. I liked it but considering closed jvc dx1000 does allmost everything as good as t1+More bass(taste thing) and isolates I sold T1.

Hd800 has not impressed me on auditiones. Sure it is a great headphones but seeing it sells used allmost double for gen1 T1 baffles me.

I'm just looking for a decent open Back that would either put dx1000 completely in shame so wife would have to deal with The sound leakage. Or something better than Grado rs2e.

About preferences: I love large soundstage, with some extra bass over micro details. In general I take everything as long it does well what it is supposed to do.

I propably should just start saving for Pioneer master-1. Seems that might be most up my alley. Still... Would not harm to try another things along The way :)

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #5,975 of 8,051
@Roderick, if you want to try something different and better than a RS2e (which I also have) try a DIY build using a Ypsilon G1 driver or for a slightly warmer presentation the Nhoord Red V2.

The HD800 is great for classical and other large orchestra tracks and to me better than the T1 for these but the T1 is a better all around headphone if you only have one or the other.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #5,976 of 8,051
@Roderick, if you want to try something different and better than a RS2e (which I also have) try a DIY build using a Ypsilon G1 driver or for a slightly warmer presentation the Nhoord Red V2.

The HD800 is great for classical and other large orchestra tracks and to me better than the T1 for these but the T1 is a better all around headphone if you only have one or the other.

Thanks, I just might do that. I've Been toying with The idea for a while. Custom cups can Be had for less than $100. Metal gimbals and headband can Be bought for $50 on aliexpress. I actually don't Even have rs2e yet. I'll receive it next Week but considering auditioning gs1000e did not impress me much I'm sceptical about rs2e. Gs1000e was fine, great for rock etc but in general t1 is better headphone imo.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #5,977 of 8,051
Just to let you all know, the M1060 scales up with better sources, and actually does out perform the HD800s. This world is so upside down when something like 800s at it's high echelon pricing can't compete with a $300 headphone.

This is one of the craziest comments I have ever heard in any headphone forum, and I have heard a lot of weird stuff. I have the HD800s and until very recently had the M1060's vegan/fuzzor modded. I loved the M1060s probably more than most. Comparison to HD800 just doesn't make sense. The M1060 is a planar that is slightly warm while HD800 is dynamic that is slightly bright. The M1060 is tuned more to the Harman curve and the HD800 is definitely more diffuse field tuned. They are probably just about the most opposite headphones in terms of comparisons. I don't know what type of music you listen to, but the HD800 is geared toward "audiophiles" and excels in detail, imaging, soundstage, and particularly meant for classical and orchestral types of music. Comparing those genres vs M1060 isn't even close. The M1060 is definitely a more fun, bassy headphone that does well with modern pop, electronic, hip hop, and more forgiving of poorly mastered music.

I can completely understand if people don't like the tonal balance of HD800 as that is all preference. But HD800 should at least be respected as one of the best engineered drivers to date and is without a doubt technically superior to M1060. For the used prices of ~$600 for HD800 I think that is one of the best values in headphones you can get. Here are the objective measurements of both headphones. Pay attention to the THD and impulse response technicalities of HD800.

all.png

all.png

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #5,978 of 8,051
I listen to all kinds of music. I've compared various tracks and HD800 has unnatural tonality, untolerably bright boosted treble that is painful to my ears, and it is not any more detailed that the M1060. Details you hear on the HD800 is from the boosed treble around 6k, it just forward relative to the lower frequency regions and mids. It is quite wrong to say one is better than another based on graphs. iSines from Audeze technically has low distortions which they tout, but still sonically has a wonky sig(with mids incoherency issues), and if graphs did correlate directly to measurements we wouldn't have to audition them.

Technical superiority should be supported by sonic characteristics. Just because it does well on certain recording doesn't mean squat. Certain recordings avoid boosted treble on the HD800, and those recordings generally sound better out of pretry much all heaphones due to quality of the recordings. It's a bit of a cliche being thrown around that a transparent headphones sounds bad with certain recordings. A good tuned headphones should sound it's best with various recordings. HD800's problems are way too obvious, and the graphs shows it. I really don't get the talk about sound stage on the HD800. There really isn't than a typical openback. If you want sound stage go speakers.

I have preference for M1060 out of the two, and it is indeed a comparison, and my preference in which one of the two is a fair comparison like any other performance comparisons.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #5,980 of 8,051
I've directly compared HD800, Ether flows, Aeon, and the M1060. M0160 perform the best out of good quality source. M1060 scaled, and sounded the most realistic. If you give it a lower tiered source of course it won't sound at it's best.

Please don't be butthurt because you paid retail for the HD800 and looking for an amp to get rid of the shrill, and can only listen to 2 tracks with it, and everything else sound too transparent for the ears. LOL.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #5,981 of 8,051
Normally I do not say anything when people post such statements, but oh my. Claiming that the M1060 gives a superior sound to the HD800 is just nonsense. The HD800 is in a completely different league.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #5,982 of 8,051
Wish massdrop would drop m1060... Anyone know how to get m1060 inside EU?
To the topic: If you pick HD800s then why not Hifiman Edition X 2nd ver.?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #5,983 of 8,051
I listen to all kinds of music. I've compared various tracks and HD800 has unnatural tonality, untolerably bright boosted treble that is painful to my ears, and it is not any more detailed that the M1060. Details you hear on the HD800 is from the boosed treble around 6k, it just forward relative to the lower frequency regions and mids. It is quite wrong to say one is better than another based on graphs. iSines from Audeze technically has low distortions which they tout, but still sonically has a wonky sig(with mids incoherency issues), and if graphs did correlate directly to measurements we wouldn't have to audition them.

Technical superiority should be supported by sonic characteristics. Just because it does well on certain recording doesn't mean squat. Certain recordings avoid boosted treble on the HD800, and those recordings generally sound better out of pretry much all heaphones due to quality of the recordings. It's a bit of a cliche being thrown around that a transparent headphones sounds bad with certain recordings. A good tuned headphones should sound it's best with various recordings. HD800's problems are way too obvious, and the graphs shows it. I really don't get the talk about sound stage on the HD800. There really isn't than a typical openback. If you want sound stage go speakers.

I have preference for M1060 out of the two, and it is indeed a comparison, and my preference in which one of the two is a fair comparison like any other performance comparisons.

Like I said, I am all for people not liking the HD800 because it is too bright or fatiguing and all the tonal balance stuff. I personally EQ it myself because I like a slightly warmer tilt. And while I am not a hardcore objectivist, measurements do give very goo insight into the capability of a driver's ability to properly reproduce sound. But if you don't hear the HD800 as having a soundstage that is different than a typical open back, then I am inclined to believe the HD800 you heard was faulty or the ways in which your ears hear soundstage is just on a very extreme end of the hearing spectrum compared to the average headphone enthusiast. Of course speakers have a superior soundstage reproduction compared to any headphone, that is not debatable, that is physics. But to say the HD800 is the same as all other headphones just doesn't make sense.

And again, I love the M1060 and think it is a fantastic headphone for the price. And that is totally reasonable that you enjoy it more than HD800. I'm even fine if people don't think the HD800 is worth its price or is overrated. But it is unfair to say the M1060 outright "outperforms" the HD800 and that it can't compete with M1060. If as you said that measurements have no meaning, and we all know tonal balance is just individual preference, then how can you make a blanket statement like that? At best, you can say you prefer M1060 to HD800 and that you think it is a better value, and I think that is perfectly valid.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #5,984 of 8,051
And again, I love the $AWSUMHEADPHONE and think it is a fantastic headphone for the price. And that is totally reasonable that you enjoy it more than $OTHERHEADPHONE. I'm even fine if people don't think the $OTHERHEADPHONE is worth its price or is overrated. But it is unfair to say the $AWSUMHEADPHONE outright "outperforms" the $OTHERHEADPHONE and that it can't compete with $AWSUMHEADPHONE.

edited your quote in order to sum up at least 50% of the posts here on head-fi. :dt880smile:

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #5,985 of 8,051
Like I said, I am all for people not liking the HD800 because it is too bright or fatiguing and all the tonal balance stuff. I personally EQ it myself because I like a slightly warmer tilt. And while I am not a hardcore objectivist, measurements do give very goo insight into the capability of a driver's ability to properly reproduce sound. But if you don't hear the HD800 as having a soundstage that is different than a typical open back, then I am inclined to believe the HD800 you heard was faulty or the ways in which your ears hear soundstage is just on a very extreme end of the hearing spectrum compared to the average headphone enthusiast. Of course speakers have a superior soundstage reproduction compared to any headphone, that is not debatable, that is physics. But to say the HD800 is the same as all other headphones just doesn't make sense.

And again, I love the M1060 and think it is a fantastic headphone for the price. And that is totally reasonable that you enjoy it more than HD800. I'm even fine if people don't think the HD800 is worth its price or is overrated. But it is unfair to say the M1060 outright "outperforms" the HD800 and that it can't compete with M1060. If as you said that measurements have no meaning, and we all know tonal balance is just individual preference, then how can you make a blanket statement like that? At best, you can say you prefer M1060 to HD800 and that you think it is a better value, and I think that is perfectly valid.
Ok ... I'm on to 'Silverears'. He's winding everyone up and sitting back and having a good guffaw :) Sooner or later he'll come clean. Just how absurd does he have to get before you all catch on ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back