Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Oct 29, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #5,957 of 8,052
Just to let you all know, the M1060 scales up with better sources, and actually does out perform the HD800s. This world is so upside down when something like 800s at it's high echelon pricing can't compete with a $300 headphone.
Now I am really looking forward to my 1060 arrival, as it out performs my 800. We shall see.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #5,958 of 8,052
Just to let you all know, the M1060 scales up with better sources, and actually does out perform the HD800s. This world is so upside down when something like 800s at it's high echelon pricing can't compete with a $300 headphone.

Those may be some fightin words for some.:)
Even though I’ve only auditioned the 800s a few times and don’t own them, with the right amp(from what I’ve read and been told) they’re one of the best HP’s out there.
I’ve also heard them with a great amp/Dac setup and they were quite resolving with a huge sound stage and insanely detailed. They also posses more low end then what I was expecting from everything I’ve read and I consider myself a bass head.
I find your comment really interesting from a bystanders viewpoint.
I’m glad I own the 1060’s based off what your comment.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #5,959 of 8,052
Those may be some fightin words for some.:)
Even though I’ve only auditioned the 800s a few times and don’t own them, with the right amp(from what I’ve read and been told) they’re one of the best HP’s out there.
I’ve also heard them with a great amp/Dac setup and they were quite resolving with a huge sound stage and insanely detailed. They also posses more low end then what I was expecting from everything I’ve read and I consider myself a bass head.
I find your comment really interesting from a bystanders viewpoint.
I’m glad I own the 1060’s based off what your comment.
"fighting' words" ?? Head scratchin' at best ... :)

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #5,960 of 8,052
I really don't know how consistant Monoprice headphones are. Sennheiser's top end should be more maticulous for their highend, but just because pricing is highend doesn't mean performance is.

Whoever tuned the 800 didn't do a very good job that's for sure.

Try hearing M1060 out of higher end sources, you get a good idea on it's scalability. On the other hand HD800 has it's sig, and it's FR isn't really great.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #5,961 of 8,052
Some people can get by the basic FR/tonality/timber aspect of a headphone in pursuit of sound field or technicalities. Personally I can't. It is not worth listening to crappy voices and off sounding pianos or guitars to get micro plankton or a huge presentation. This might work for short tem listening to be impressed, but for regular listening, I can't go there.
I know what you are saying @SilverEars

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #5,963 of 8,052
I really don't know how consistant Monoprice headphones are. Sennheiser's top end should be more maticulous for their highend, but just because pricing is highend doesn't mean performance is.

Whoever tuned the 800 didn't do a very good job that's for sure.

Try hearing M1060 out of higher end sources, you get a good idea on it's scalability. On the other hand HD800 has it's sig, and it's FR isn't really great.

Hopefully I'll be able to hear my set with a high end source sometime soon as I'd really like to hear what these are capable of.

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #5,964 of 8,052
Is this a joke or early Halloween humor? The M1060 that I heard a few months ago was pretty lifeless and boring, granted they were not modded so I figured that with mods it would improve a little but to say its better than the HD800/HD800S is a bit of a stretch, saying you like the sound of the M1060 better than the HD800/S is fine since its your preference but to say it out performs the HD800/S is______________

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #5,965 of 8,052
Is this a joke or early Halloween humor? The M1060 that I heard a few months ago was pretty lifeless and boring, granted they were not modded so I figured that with mods it would improve a little but to say its better than the HD800/HD800S is a bit of a stretch, saying you like the sound of the M1060 better than the HD800/S is fine since its your preference but to say it out performs the HD800/S is______________
Not to mention "they can't compete". And I understand that everyone has preferences. Dang !! I even bought the 800's and sold them cause they weren't for me, and I really like my 1060's . But ... really. You can't even compare the 800's against the 1060's. They are so completely different. And the 800's are very, very picky about what you use in the chain. I doubt there are very many people that even get to hear the 800's at their optimum. In retrospect, I know I didn't. That all said ... you can't argue with one's opinion. We are all entitled to one .. or two :)

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #5,967 of 8,052
I own both the M1060s and the HD800s. I consider the 1060s a great value but to say that they outperform the 800s is a
BIG stretch.

Same thoughts here. Maybe I'll throw both on later today in case I'm having memory issues... :confused:

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #5,968 of 8,052
Not to mention "they can't compete". And I understand that everyone has preferences. Dang !! I even bought the 800's and sold them cause they weren't for me, and I really like my 1060's . But ... really. You can't even compare the 800's against the 1060's. They are so completely different. And the 800's are very, very picky about what you use in the chain. I doubt there are very many people that even get to hear the 800's at their optimum. In retrospect, I know I didn't. That all said ... you can't argue with one's opinion. We are all entitled to one .. or two :)
I still have my HD800 and have heard them on a Liquid Glass, MicroZOTL, ZDS, EC Balancing Act, and a few other nice amps but I also understand that the sound signature of the HD800 is not for everyone. I'm happy with my BH Crack / HD800 combo and have no desire to "upgrade" from the BH Crack since it gets me 95% of the Liquid Glass, granted the 5% is noticeable but decided that since I'm getting older and my hearing is only going to get worst that the funds would be better spent on wine woman and song.

I own both the M1060s and the HD800s. I consider the 1060s a great value but to say that they outperform the 800s is a
BIG stretch.
Agree

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #5,969 of 8,052
Do yall guys have yours on sale or something? There's a lot of them being sold on the for sale section. LOL. The price of 800 went down to 8-900 range. Still over valued. Tuning is terrible.

Your logics makes no sense. If a headphone needs a specific source to correct it(whatever that limited source it can be), the general characteristic is known, which is it's bad tuning. I have tried many many sources, and nothing has really fixed the damn tuning.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #5,970 of 8,052
I followed this thread for a while. Had to quit because posts were piling up and hype was strong on this one.

My question is should I try m1060? I would end up paying about 450usd to get it to Finland. Getting audeze pads would Be another 100usd. Say 550 total. Buying New get's The guarantee but If I have to send The headphones back that would cost me about 60usd.

I can get used first gen t1 for 400-500usd, lcd2 for 500-600usd, hd800 for 600-700usd. So IS there any point in getting these headphones because those would cost More than used t1, about The same as lcd2 and not much less than used hd800.

I know I use The word used alot but shipping rates are quite a killer for refunds.

Also he400i/400s is about 30% cheaper than moniprice.

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back