Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Oct 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #5,896 of 8,052
Finally purchased a Modi to match my 1st gen Magni, and immediately paired it all up with the M1060. Instrument separation is greater and soundstage with it. It just sounds cleaner. Highly recommend for a quick and easy budget desktop setup.
upload_2017-10-20_11-45-20.png

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #5,897 of 8,052
Fitted PockyG's fazors, the box like sound stage has moved out in front of me with great imaging.

The far left and right used to image by my ears now its pushed out in front this is so much better.

Thank you PockyG for taking your time out to do this for us, legend.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #5,899 of 8,052
Any negative effects? Would we be better off with the fazors instead of the fuzzor mod?

So I've been listening with the fazors for about a week now, And I can definitely say that it improves separation and imaging. Although I don't think it levels off the highs as much as the fuzzor mod, so what I'm about to attempt is to sand down the fazors just a touch and apply surgical tape similar to the hifiman tape mod, around the fazors. ( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...e-their-sound-for-a-couple-of-dollars.816442/ ). I'm hoping this combines the benefit of both mods having better isolation, imaging, detail while smoothing out the treble. I'll let everyone know once I get a hold on some surgical tape.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #5,901 of 8,052
3d printed fazors vs stick on felt fuzzors

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #5,902 of 8,052
Any negative effects? Would we be better off with the fazors instead of the fuzzor mod?

For me the felt Fuzzor's alone did not do much, for me putting felt in the original pads around the wall's stopped the ringing.

The Fazzor's has changed the sound stage and imaging for the better, the metallic sound in the treble has gone also, for me it is like a new headphone. I really liked the big sound of the M1060's and they have had the most head time of any of my headphones and now this has made them even better.

If the recording has the singer slightly off center I can hear that now, panned instruments are wide and slightly panned positioned great.

I had read that somebody thought they were a fun big sound that did not have the best imaging and this was true but not anymore it has changed from a box sound stage, sounds very center then left and right close my ears, to a long stage with sounds along that stage in the correct space.
I spoke about the M1060 feeling like it like taking the black bars off a movie because of how tall the stage is because of its tall big sound, with the fazzor mod it has unfolded the edges of the image what was by my ears out in front taking the box shape stage and making it a long ruler size before my eyes and inches to the left and right.

The downside is a slight gap around the pad in places even though i placed tape around the whole of the circumference but for the sound benefits its more than worth it.

A big thank you to PockyG and SomeTechNoob for taking their spare time out to help us with these 3d print's.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #5,904 of 8,052
I haven't been in this thread since I let go of my pair of M1060's but I have to say i'm extremely impressed with the community. Cskippy giving us a great start on modding and then the rest of you guys just snowballing it into something bigger. Printer 3D printed fuzzor mods, 3D printed honey comb grills, headband straps, and more. Great job guys! :)

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #5,905 of 8,052
2 Things,

First, a question. Is it imperative to get the V2, of the M1060? What are the differences?

Second, I find it really interesting that folks are doing all of these mods, but monoprice isn't offering any of them as upgrades. One would think they could make something resembling a paper towel mod or a fuzzor mod and sell them for $20 a pop.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #5,906 of 8,052
I personally don't want to have to shell out 300 for headphones and mod them right away, so I look forward to a revision 3 or M1060 successor. Interesting to see how the M565 stacks against the M1060.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #5,907 of 8,052
2 Things,

First, a question. Is it imperative to get the V2, of the M1060? What are the differences?

Second, I find it really interesting that folks are doing all of these mods, but monoprice isn't offering any of them as upgrades. One would think they could make something resembling a paper towel mod or a fuzzor mod and sell them for $20 a pop.
I personally don't want to have to shell out 300 for headphones and mod them right away, so I look forward to a revision 3 or M1060 successor. Interesting to see how the M565 stacks against the M1060.
I don't think you need to worry about the V1 unless buying used

For both, you are not forced to do the mods as some like the M1060 stock, but I understand your point since the ear pads and other mods will make these $400 headphones. For me the stock M1060 is not worth the $300 but since i haven't heard a modded one can't say if the mods of ear pads + fuzzor + fazor will make them worth more than the sum of the parts. I know that some mods can transform a headphone but it needs to be decent in stock form to start and the stock M1060 wasn't in the ball park to me that I would spend another $100 to make its as good as many seem to think it is. In a way this is like the TH-X00 for me where the stock ear pads of the TH-X00 and I don't get along and spending another $60-80 for ear pads + the Lawton damping mod ($???) is not my idea of doing mods to tune but more like a complete make over. Keep in mind that I do have quite a few other headphones so my perspective on mods might be different from someone who only has the M1060 or just a few headphones.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #5,908 of 8,052
Hey, so, I think I took the headphones apart a little too much on my way towards attempting to get the fazors in place. I think I disassembled the driver, and have about a zero chance of putting it back together without ruining it. I may have already damaged the foil that goes between the two sets of magnets beyond repair.

Please don't do what this idiot did!

I thought, "Oh I'll just keep disassembling until I figure out where it makes sense to stop. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?"

At this point the best I can hope for is people learn from my mistake.

Here I am about 80 minutes into the process.

0rK084b.jpg

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #5,909 of 8,052
Wow, I'm so sorry.

Have you tried putting it back together? Did you have to remove the wires that connected to the diaphragm? You should be able to solder them back on.

LESSON HERE: MODS SHOULD ALWAYS BEEN DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK. EVEN SIMPLE MODS CAN RUIN HEADPHONES IF YOU DON't KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #5,910 of 8,052
Hah don't be sorry! I absolutely knew the risks going in.

Can anyone guess the main thought on my mind right now? No need! I'll tell you!

"They sounded pretty fine before!"

I've taken apart and re-assembled plenty of electronics before, which is probably what led to my huge mistake. I wasn't expecting to actually be able to disassemble the driver, and I wasn't expecting that the driver had opposing magnets held together by screws.

Have you tried putting it back together? Did you have to remove the wires that connected to the diaphragm? You should be able to solder them back on.

Yeah, damaging the foil came from trying to put the driver back together.

I came at the problem from the inside of the driver, i.e. the ear side. I tried re-assembling from the ear side, which is how the damage was done, because it resulted in me trying to put the opposing magnets back together by hand. Don't do that. The chances of you being able to jam the two outside components of the driver together by hand are basically zero.

After ****ing it up a bunch of times, I thought of coming at the driver from the outside, i.e. the grill side. This is actually do-able. You can screw the ear-side of the driver/magnet assembly to the surface of the wood ring, and use the wood ring as a guide. The ring will guide the fragile inner foil component right in, and also guide the outside driver/magnet assembly in.

If I took off the grill as soon as the driver came apart I think there's a chance I could have reassembled it without damaging the foil.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back