HiFiMan HE1000 tape mod -- Upgrade their sound for a couple of dollars.
Aug 6, 2016 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25
The one small thing that bugged me about the HE1000s has always been a very slight imperfection in the treble. It didn't sound quite as clean as the treble you get from 'stats.  I didn't think about it much for a long time, except to wonder if a cable change might help (it didn't). 

While I was keeping the occasional eye on various mods, I came across the Sony MDR-7Z tape mod which I applied successfully to my own pair. One of the significant things about the mod is that is removes some harshness in the treble of the Z7s. Returning back to the HE1000s, after searching through @jerg's mods the other day I wondered if the same trick might work on them. The basic premise is to remove internal reflections without interfering with air flow in the headphones. This is not dissimilar to the rubber-like coating inside the aluminium sleeves that the Grado HP1000s had to effect the same thing.

Basically, it works! Now the whole presentation of the HE1000s has been given an upgrade: The treble is cleaner and everything sounds more precise without the headphones losing their fundamental presentation. 

The mod is easy: Buy a roll of 12mm wide surgical tape and apply to major sources of sound reflection. I only did it in a very basic way, but it was enough. Maybe someone with more time and dedication can experiment. 

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE DRIVER!

I applied a length of tape thus, then since it was on a curve, snipped cuts and folded the tape down.

I then added two more strips on the wave guide (?). I wasn't game to get out the exacto knife and attempt to cut strips for the cross bars, but wanted to see if the basic idea would work.

The result. Not everything is perfectly covered, but the effects were good enough I have stopped here.

One might ask why the green ring doesn't have some kind of felt or anti-reflective coating. I suspect the answer might be the tediousness of applying it. I'm guessing there were other priorities, like the rigidity and weight of the materials and, more important, their longevity. It's one thing to apply something like felt to a part of the headphones, but another to have that felt not fall off in a few years after the glue dries out, then damage the drivers. This is what happened with the foam inside many pairs of Sony R10s, ruining them.

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 25
Would like to test this mod. But how do I remove the earpads of the HE-1000?

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 25
  Would like to test this mod. But how do I remove the earpads of the HE-1000?

Hook the edge of your finger around the inner plastic ring of the earpad and pull. Here's a picture of the earpad removed with my finger hooked around the ring as it would be if I was pulling it off:

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 25
Thank you! I hoped that it was that easy but I was afraid to destroy something.

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 25
Very nice.
It could very well be that there is some unwanted reflections in the areas you taped ..

I like this idea and also to try on the inner plastic of the pads.

Also like to point out the rather large surface area of the the driver membrane:

It covers entire area including top and bottom area I colored,
But it is so thin and invisible so as to not be noticeable. .

If touched it can be stretched..
So as stated, care should be taken.

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 25
I plan to try this tape soon as well.

Edit :
This mod already seems verified/credible/validated by looking at version 2 changes,

where they reduce this internal spacing that you have Damped. .

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 25
I plan to try this tape soon as well.

Edit :
This mod already seems verified/credible/validated by looking at version 2 changes,

where they reduce this internal spacing that you have Damped. .

I was thinking about that, as when I read the description of the changes it sounded like they'd changed the design so the space between the bottom of the pads and the drivers had been changed in some way. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 25
I am now wondering if the fold you have going down to driver,
is actually simulating a better sound coupling to the pads(!)

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 25
Thanks for sharing. I attempted the tape mod and found that it was quite easy. I used a large piece of polyester dressing retention tape. I had traced on a piece of transparency, an outline of the ear cup external perimeter and also the inner perimeter of the green plastic. Using the transparency as a template, I cut the dressing tape (see the trimmed tape on right of first photo). The material is elastic and easy to work with for tucking into the uneven surface with a narrow pincer. Unlike Currawong's mod, I only covered the green plastic and didnt cover all the way to the driver and the black strips on the driver cover. I may tape the black strips on the driver cover later.

After taping up the left side, I did some A/B test with the right untaped side. There is definitely some improvement in the clarity of note, both for treble and bass.
After taping both sides, I like the SQ of the modded HEK better than before. Strings (from violin to cello) music are much cleaner and smoother in decay. Highly recommended mod.

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 25
I have come to the conclusion that I believe the reflections are coming from all around the inner space between the yellow plastic and the pad.

This Gap is also the area which is reduced in V2 headphones,
so I am going to proceed in covering this area first.

I will see what happens but I believe this whole upper area can benefit.
:)

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 25
Update: I filled up the large reflective areas above and below the drivers with foam rubber (grey foam in photo) and taped up with the polyester dressing. This reduces the air volume and reflection. Result is quite astonishing.The soft and slightly blurry transient response is gone. [size=x-small]Loud complex orchestral crescendos no longer sounds confused in the mids and treble. Imaging and clarity is probably the best I have heard so far out of any headphone. [/size]

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 25
  Update: I filled up the large reflective areas above and below the drivers with foam rubber (grey foam in photo) and taped up with the polyester dressing. This reduces the air volume and reflection. Result is quite astonishing.The soft and slightly blurry transient response is gone. [size=x-small]Loud complex orchestral crescendos no longer sounds confused in the mids and treble. Imaging and clarity is probably the best I have heard so far out of any headphone. [/size]

I'd thought about covering these areas. I remember an early post where someone put Audeze pads on their pair which gave them more impact. They would have covered the same areas I think. 

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 25
How is the height of the sound?
I do not want to reduce sonic footprint/size.

I have found a different solution :

Then I cut the inner foam:

It is a perfect fit solution that needs no taping or holding in place.
The foam cover the hole empty channel and couples the driver direct to the pad, covering also the pad hard surface..

I have described it in detail elsewhere,
with the acknowledgement to Currawong for introducing me to the idea of addressing this area.

I find it a safer solution.
I am currently testing density to see what is an optimal height for the foam,
But the pic shows the inner cut hole size chosen.
It is just perfecly resting on the yellow plastic.

Edit:
I was hesitant to post as I do not want to derail attention to new Version 2 HEK which I am interested in..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back