Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Sep 29, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #5,776 of 8,051
So i was looking at the LCD X fazor.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/Audeze_LCDX_Photo_Fazer.jpg
and also here
https://www.audeze.com/sites/default/files/LCD-X-Black-Ring-1_withFazor.jpg

I noticed that they are more angular and almost like an triangle. I also noticed that these "triangles" are really elongated (they come quite far off the fazor frame) with only a slight curvature which give them a higher surface area to correct the interference pattern. Also the the angle with only a slight curve will shape the interference pattern better to the ideal flat shape shown in this audeze diagram-
https://www.audeze.com/sites/default/files/Fazor-Element-Diagram.jpg

As someone studying physics i can confirm that the interference pattern will be better corrected with this shape lol.

Anyone with the LCD series wanna show us a better view of the fazor? Please? :stuck_out_tongue:
@PockyG - You down for a v5?:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::darthsmile:

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #5,777 of 8,051
The rear fazors only allow about a 4mm clearance on the headphones on the grill end which doesn't allow too much space vs the thicker Audeze's rings. The bigger issue is the stock grill which causes a great deal of reflections and closes off the soundstage. The grills that @VRacer-111 and I have designed are to minimize those. The pad side fazors may merit a redesign but the headband doesn't allow much space even in stock form. I'll keep everyone posted if I get around to it.

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #5,778 of 8,051
Just took a look at my LCD-2f and EL-8, the "Fazor" looks different in each headphone:
LCD-2f: they come to a point and are about 4.5 to 4.75mm wide at the bass, 5.5-6mm tall and they don't seem to have much curvature in them
EL-8: 4.25-4.5mm wide at the bass, 5.25-5.75mm tall and they look like they have a bit more curvature and have a more rounded point than the LCD
Tried to measure without taking the pads off with a micrometer so had to estimate the heights.

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #5,779 of 8,051
Small production update

5qowkOo.png
zVjZpeD.png

Sadly I currently have a 50% failure rate on the Fazor Pad v3, but I think I know what the issue was. Doing a batch with 2 instead of 4 at once, so fingers crossed. Hopefully I will be able to print 4 at once once I work things out. The rear fazors are no problem though.

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #5,780 of 8,051
I usually don't believe burn-in, but it sounds like the headphones burned-in over time. Like putting in several hours got it's movements up to snuff. Anyway, I like the mids out of these, and it's not so common to get good mids from full sized headphones. Responds pretty tightly as well, so it has good clarity. Good value for the pricepoint.

I'm currently feeding it from my Mojo. :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #5,781 of 8,051
So i was looking at the LCD X fazor.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/Audeze_LCDX_Photo_Fazer.jpg
and also here
https://www.audeze.com/sites/default/files/LCD-X-Black-Ring-1_withFazor.jpg

I noticed that they are more angular and almost like an triangle. I also noticed that these "triangles" are really elongated (they come quite far off the fazor frame) with only a slight curvature which give them a higher surface area to correct the interference pattern. Also the the angle with only a slight curve will shape the interference pattern better to the ideal flat shape shown in this audeze diagram-
https://www.audeze.com/sites/default/files/Fazor-Element-Diagram.jpg

As someone studying physics i can confirm that the interference pattern will be better corrected with this shape lol.

Anyone with the LCD series wanna show us a better view of the fazor? Please? :stuck_out_tongue:
@PockyG - You down for a v5?:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::darthsmile:

We are working with what we have here and the goal is to have a simple yet effective way to bring out better performance

if we really want to get technical, then I assume Audeze probably calculated grate opening width as well and the m1060 openings seem narrower than the LCDs. After optimizing the grate openings then optimize the fazor shape, and I am sure that’s a lot of hours of measuring, calculating and also trial and error etc

Since you are studying physics right now, would you volunteer to take on this task?

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #5,783 of 8,051
This headphone is at such a fair price.

Sound is very good. My fav openback right now. I've tried it with high quality sources, and indeed it scales up sounding refined.

Highly recommended. Great performance at the price. I have great outlook on Monoprice audio gear quality now.

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #5,784 of 8,051
This headphone is at such a fair price.

Sound is very good. My fav openback right now. I've tried it with high quality sources, and indeed it scales up sounding refined.

Highly recommended. Great performance at the price. I have great outlook on Monoprice audio gear quality now.

I really do hope the M300 holds up to this. Mine should arrive Wednesday.

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #5,785 of 8,051
I really do hope the M300 holds up to this. Mine should arrive Wednesday.
I have high expecations of it now after the M1060, and if the reviews on it was not so good, make sure to get a hold of a quality source to verify that it's sound is able to be refined with higher quality sources. If the review used low quality sources, we can't know the full potential.

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #5,786 of 8,051
My sources are the ifi Micro iDSD BL, Opus #1, Shanling M1 and XB 10. So at least in one respect, power shouldn't be an issue. I also enjoy the M560, which to my ears feels more than worth the price tag for it's versatility and sound.

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #5,787 of 8,051
@PockyG How are the Fazor V4s supposed to fit together? I'm assuming the Fazor Pad V4 fits into the square opening of the Fazor Top 100/106mm V4. Unfortunately the pair I just printed doesn't seem to really be a fit. Either the fazor needs to be smaller or the opening needs to be bigger.

TBYVpuK.png

Current production inventory!
2ASyoIn.png

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #5,788 of 8,051
@PockyG How are the Fazor V4s supposed to fit together? I'm assuming the Fazor Pad V4 fits into the square opening of the Fazor Top 100/106mm V4. Unfortunately the pair I just printed doesn't seem to really be a fit. Either the fazor needs to be smaller or the opening needs to be bigger.

TBYVpuK.png

Current production inventory!
2ASyoIn.png
I've been running into that problem too specifically for the v4. I ended up sanding a bit to any V4 I printed out. I've published a revision, v4.1 to address the issue, leaving a larger gap (2mm gap on the longer edge). I've also changed the pad plate thickness back to 2mm since 1.5mm was a bit too flimsy. I'm moving away from the 106mm plate since the 100mm is so much more versatile for pad rolling.

Pad plate https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2562971
Fazor https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2562968

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #5,789 of 8,051
By the way, did we ever figure out if Monoprice does a warranty transfer and if second hand owners can still request an RMA?

I opened a support ticket asking this on Sept 1, with no response. I opened another ticket on Sept 7, again no response.

I tried to contact monoprice customer support chat. The agent said that normally this is not approved, but if I had the original invoice or order number, he would try to get approval. He did, then he transferred me to product support.

Product support asked me why I wanted to RMA the unit, I explained I was expecting superior sound quality, and they set up the RMA.

The more I listened, the more I started to appreciate what these cans do well. I agree with junki's review that the vocals sound grainy. I think these cans are at their weakest in the upper midrange and low treble. Bass is amazing for an open back can and treble is acceptable.

I'm happy that I'm able to do the RMA. Also happy I didn't start modding them yet.

Also, @givemetacos you hyped the M1060 a lot, and maybe that's why my first impression wasn't great. I think you wrote on reddit that at one point you preferred the M1060 to the HD800. That's what prompted me to buy these cans. I think you wrote more recently that you use the HD800 more, again.

Anyway, after driving them for a month, I'm glad I got them. If the RMA and/or mods improve the sound, even better. I'm also glad I have massdrop Senn HD6xx on the way to complement them.

Oct 3, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #5,790 of 8,051
I opened a support ticket asking this on Sept 1, with no response. I opened another ticket on Sept 7, again no response.

I tried to contact monoprice customer support chat. The agent said that normally this is not approved, but if I had the original invoice or order number, he would try to get approval. He did, then he transferred me to product support.

Product support asked me why I wanted to RMA the unit, I explained I was expecting superior sound quality, and they set up the RMA.

The more I listened, the more I started to appreciate what these cans do well. I agree with junki's review that the vocals sound grainy. I think these cans are at their weakest in the upper midrange and low treble. Bass is amazing for an open back can and treble is acceptable.

I'm happy that I'm able to do the RMA. Also happy I didn't start modding them yet.

Also, @givemetacos you hyped the M1060 a lot, and maybe that's why my first impression wasn't great. I think you wrote on reddit that at one point you preferred the M1060 to the HD800. That's what prompted me to buy these cans. I think you wrote more recently that you use the HD800 more, again.

Anyway, after driving them for a month, I'm glad I got them. If the RMA and/or mods improve the sound, even better. I'm also glad I have massdrop Senn HD6xx on the way to complement them.

Yeah, understandable, I can see how these cans aren't for everyone. Though I absolutely think the mods (particularly vegan pads) completely transform it and fix the upper mids/treble the most. The vocals were my biggest complaint stock, but mods completely fixed that. I also don't think I am alone is loving these headphones as there have been a number of other positive review posted very recently on reddit (link 1, link 2, link 3). Note that link 1 is from @junki, but it is the updated reddit version with additional mods. He seems to like the M1060 even more. Also, on reddit if you have followed my comments at all I am specifically telling people that I don't recommend the M1060s if you are absolutely unwilling to mod. I can tell you that I also own a 2016 Aluminum LCD-2F and I have gone back and forth with A/B testing against my modded M1060 and they are just nearly identical. I've had other people hear both and say the same thing. And lots of people love the LCD-2s. It just might not be your sound signature that's all. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our own preferences. Also, I don't recall saying I preferred M1060 to HD800. If I did that must have been some weird typo or sleep deprived phase. The only time I think I can remember saying anything to that affect would maybe be that I prefer M1060 for (non-competitive) gaming over HD800 as it is more fun. Though I use HD800 for competitive gaming. The HD800 is my favorite headphone of all time that I have heard. And I have heard some decent TOTL stuff like Utopia, Eikon, HE-1000v2, Stax L700, Ether Flow, etc. I just love HD800 and it is my main can. But I can vouch for vegan modded M1060 that it is a wonderful headphone for its price and outperforms many other popular headphones in that price range. I am trying not to overhype it or anything, but that has been my experience and I think it says something that I own a lot of good headphones that I still love M1060.

I will say I am concerned about how much you will enjoy the HD6XX due to them being a similarly laid back, warm headphone. But I really hope you enjoy them as they are also great headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back