Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 28, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #4,202 of 8,051
I just redid the measurements in a more controlled fashion.

Okay they are the same. Not sure what happened previously.

Thanks... that is more of what I would expect.

May 29, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #4,205 of 8,051
Been playing around with EQ lately, and I'm suprised of how well the m1060's take EQ. Managed to remove all of the peaks I didn't like in the treble and create a warmer signature that I really like for some songs. Still love stock (that is, with hm5 velour pads) on some tracks (Pink Floyd is awesome stock), but it's so nice to be able to listen to all kinds of music now and still enjoy it.
This is what I used (please do tell me if I did something wrong or how I can improve this EQ, don't know this program too well.)
http://imgur.com/a/FgMxo

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #4,206 of 8,051
I enable prevent clipping to avoid distortion. I guess it depends on your digital volume levels?

May 29, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #4,207 of 8,051
I have wondered how this is implemented. Does it use just peak limiting? Does it monitor and simply decrease the levels universally. If it it the first, then is it not a form of compression?
I try not to use it. I try to use cut as much as possible, then adjust the overall gain to insure there is no clipping. (for cases where I use boost)

May 29, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4,208 of 8,051
I have wondered how this is implemented. Does it use just peak limiting? Does it monitor and simply decrease the levels universally. If it it the first, then is it not a form of compression?
I try not to use it. I try to use cut as much as possible, then adjust the overall gain to insure there is no clipping. (for cases where I use boost)

as I understand it, it decreases everything (pre-amplifier as they call it is decreased by how many dB is required.)

May 29, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #4,209 of 8,051
Unfortunately I had my Sony MDR-1A's with DFR ripped off today at work. Sick to my stomach. With that said, I've been following this tread for some time now and it might just be the time to pull the trigger on a pair of the 1060's.
My question is, how do these M1060's compare to the Sony's? They're about the same price so I'm really looking into these. These will be used mainly for portable use when I also unfortunately rebuy the DFR. Thoughts?

May 29, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #4,210 of 8,051
Unfortunately I had my Sony MDR-1A's with DFR ripped off today at work. Sick to my stomach. With that said, I've been following this tread for some time now and it might just be the time to pull the trigger on a pair of the 1060's.
My question is, how do these M1060's compare to the Sony's? They're about the same price so I'm really looking into these. These will be used mainly for portable use when I also unfortunately rebuy the DFR. Thoughts?
I have both. Definitely apples and oranges. Closed vs open. Bloated bass vs slightly elevated but tight. Recessed mids vs slightly recessed mids. For portability though, I wouldn't recommend the M1060s. They are very large and feel somewhat fragile. Plus they are open so expect leakage.

For portable, I'd recommend the Vmoda M100. Built like a tank and sounds better than the MDR1As.

May 29, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #4,211 of 8,051
I keep reading that the 1060 is more comfortable than the Audeze LCD-2. If that's so, the Audezes must be some sort of torture device. The 1060 is pretty much the upper limit of how much discomfort I will tolerate in headphones. Because of their shape and size, they create two pressure points, above and below the ears. The pressure isn't evenly distributed.

Sound-wise, I'm liking the stock 1060 just plugged into my MacBook's headphone jack. If they improve through amping and a pad modification, then I think I might keep them. But I'm also looking at those iSINE20 in-ears. They look mighty comfortable.

The brown vegan pads are exactly the same as the unavailable black ones except for color and price, is that right?

May 29, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #4,212 of 8,051
Yes, they are more comfortable. The M1060 clamps less and has a suspension strap. The M1060 is still heavy as sin though, so I get a hotspot on my head after 45 or so minutes. With the LCD2 it was like after 20 minutes.

May 29, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #4,213 of 8,051
I keep reading that the 1060 is more comfortable than the Audeze LCD-2. If that's so, the Audezes must be some sort of torture device. The 1060 is pretty much the upper limit of how much discomfort I will tolerate in headphones. Because of their shape and size, they create two pressure points, above and below the ears. The pressure isn't evenly distributed.

Sound-wise, I'm liking the stock 1060 just plugged into my MacBook's headphone jack. If they improve through amping and a pad modification, then I think I might keep them. But I'm also looking at those iSINE20 in-ears. They look mighty comfortable.

The brown vegan pads are exactly the same as the unavailable black ones except for color and price, is that right?

The brown vegan should be the same as the black one, but I will wait and see if monoprice will make their own pads.

May 30, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #4,214 of 8,051

There should be some modifications you can do to help with comfort. I for one, can wear them all day no problem (this is with velour earpads, pleather is not something i enjoy at all). There are also these "wool headband cushioning (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Woven-...hash=item3cdf59da50:m:mLnWWNP2rBhcJ329JqSGswA)" that are very nice, they add some warmth and cushioning for the top of your head (you can even add extra padding between the headband and the wool if you want to).

May 30, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #4,215 of 8,051

The vegan pads are more comfortable than the stock pads (partly because the microsuede is more plush than the pleather and partly because the foam is softer). After doing my head strap mod and applying the vegans, I can wear them all day and even forget I have them on even with glasses. That's my head though, I can't speak for how comfortable the vegans will be for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back