Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 30, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #4,217 of 8,051
May 30, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #4,218 of 8,051
Sound-wise, I'm liking the stock 1060 just plugged into my MacBook's headphone jack. If they improve through amping and a pad modification, then I think I might keep them. But I'm also looking at those iSINE20 in-ears. They look mighty comfortable.

The iSine is an amazing little thing. It is very much like a full size planar headphone in small package. Over the last few days I've been using the iSine 10s I haven't really missed my other overhead headphone, including the M1060. I don't have any comfort issues with the M1060 BTW.

For my the iSine is mostly ok comfort wise, but sometimes the hooks do bother me. I may try adding a little heat and opening the hooks up a bit to see if that helps. The "earlocks" I find more comfortable, but really only work when sitting. If I'm moving around the earlocks eventually fall out. I just ordered the "in-ear groovy kit" that includes the new "grooved" eartips and a larger earhooks, hopefully that will increase the comfort for me.

As for the M1060 I keep it just one click from the top. If I go the the second notch it more snug, but starts to become uncomfortable over time. May or may not help in you situation.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #4,219 of 8,051
There should be some modifications you can do to help with comfort. I for one, can wear them all day no problem (this is with velour earpads, pleather is not something i enjoy at all). There are also these "wool headband cushioning (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Woven-...hash=item3cdf59da50:m:mLnWWNP2rBhcJ329JqSGswA)" that are very nice, they add some warmth and cushioning for the top of your head (you can even add extra padding between the headband and the wool if you want to).

My issue's always the ears. Despite that, I'm really warming to the 1060. The 650 was better at rendering lead vocals with presence and authority, but I still like the 1060 more.

The only place I can find the vegan pads that don't list them as backordered is a place called Moon Audio. Anybody buy from them?

By the way, any huge difference between these 2 Audeze pads? They have different SKU and MFR.

vegan pads.png

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #4,220 of 8,051
RojasTKD, the only reason I was looking at the iSine is comfort, now you're telling me that it is just ok comfort wise. Makes me want to stick with the 1060. Why do you think you don't miss your other headphones and keep reaching for the iSine? Just the size and mobility? Would you say the sound is as good or better than the 1060?

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #4,221 of 8,051
My issue's always the ears. Despite that, I'm really warming to the 1060. The 650 was better at rendering lead vocals with presence and authority, but I still like the 1060 more.

The only place I can find the vegan pads that don't list them as backordered is a place called Moon Audio. Anybody buy from them?

By the way, any huge difference between these 2 Audeze pads? They have different SKU and MFR.

Those appear to be the same. But aren't they on backorder too? I got mine from soundapproach.com but it looks like their brown ones went on backorder until June 5h. They just had some a couple days ago.

May 31, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #4,222 of 8,051
RojasTKD, the only reason I was looking at the iSine is comfort, now you're telling me that it is just ok comfort wise. Makes me want to stick with the 1060.

I only say they are OK with comfort because sometimes the ear hooks hurt my ears, sometimes more than other. Hopefully the new hooks will be a better fit for me when they arrive. It's not a deal breaker, but just wanted you to know not everyone get a great fit.

. Why do you think you don't miss your other headphones and keep reaching for the iSine? Just the size and mobility?

Partly cuz they're the new toy. Partly cuz they sound that good. They sound more like headphone than IEMs.

Would you say the sound is as good or better than the 1060?

Hard to say, depends on you taste. To me there are as good just a little different. They have a large soundstage for in-ears, but I think still behind the M1060.

The iSine have nice soundstage and outside your head feeling, but still have more intimate vocals than the M1060. Also I'm a big fan of planar bass and extension, the iSine deliver in that department. I can sometimes find the M1060 a little bright (no Vegan pads yet, and maybe not ever) the iSine less so.

There both great and deliver that planar goodness, the iSine just happens to be pocketable.

May 31, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #4,223 of 8,051
May 31, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #4,225 of 8,051
You folks are defnitely correct on how well these handle EQ. I didn't realize it before, but my old cmoy amp was doing some kind of frequency shaping that my new amp doesn't do the same way. It works pretty well, but doesn't shape. Now I am using EQ for now (I will play with more mods later) and it works extremely well.

May 31, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #4,226 of 8,051
Just received my M1060s this afternoon. Looks very good and feels very sturdy. I am glad I waited till they sorted out the more serious connector/wood issues. I already had an aftermarket 2.5mm cable that I just hooked it up to and so far the sound is phenomenal. Lots of detail retrieval, very wide open soundstage, and a fairly even voicing across all the frequencies. Will post more detailed impressions after I get to know the sound a bit more. :)

May 31, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #4,227 of 8,051
Now that I've had this Topping NX4 DAC/AMP for a while, I can heartily recommend it. I have to admit I was skeptical about how much difference a DAC could make, and I still somewhat am when it comes to comparing my laptop to the DAC, but for my phone the difference is far from subtle. Very nice!

And yes, the amp can very easily power these headphones. :)

Only downside? This model doesn't charge your phone while plugged in, so you have choose DAC or charge. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #4,230 of 8,051
20170531_220539.jpg :triportsad:
Version 2, cracked all the way through the ring across the mount location. We don't run the AC much in my house and it's been getting into the low 80s in my room the last few days. Maybe I should postpone RMAing them until a rev 3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back