Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 17, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #2,837 of 8,051
I am waiting for a replacement pair and I will be surprised to see them any time soon which is fine as long as they have corrected the QC problems.
But of course I am anxious to get a replacement pair. At the time of my post they are still showing an eta of today for a fresh stock but that seems highly unlikely.

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #2,838 of 8,051
Honestly, I wouldn't count on it. Monoprice is sometimes slow in updating their website. I think this was the date they put up after they first sold out. So if that was their original estimated date based on just getting more stock of the originals, but now they are talking about addressing the QC issues and possibly update the next batch, I would be very surprised if they could get that all done with the original timeline. Awesome if they can, but in my mind, I'm just going to assume I'll be waiting another month or so.

Thanks! I hope that is less than one month. Good to know anyways.
:)

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,839 of 8,051
My cable is on order! MMCX to XLR, 8ft. Really excited to add it to my M1060

They are kinda similar to my Stax 207, but slightly more emphasized bass and lower extension before rolling off. If you look way back at a stock M1060 FR graph, there's a scoop in the upper mids/treble, immediately followed by a spike. And that's exactly what I heard (stock), though the scoop wasn't as audible as the graph indicated. The spike in stock form though....wow, outta nowhere it would slap me upside the head!

I'm a big believer in burn-in, no matter what anyone says. The combination of Audeze leather-free pads and (lots and lots of) burn-in alleviated that spike for me. M1060 seriously seems to get better over time, even now.

Referring back to the M1060 graph and comparing it to my Stax 207.....my ears tell me the graph of the 207 would be straight as a screwing ruler. Overall the Stax are still better to me.....but M1060 does a damn good job, especially considering the price.

That being said, I don't WANT them to compete with my neutral-sounding Stax, I DO want the M1060 to compliment them with a warmer, more bass-centric sound. So I'm quite happy with M1060 :)

I'm looking at selling off most of my collection, as I just don't see a need for most of them anymore. The HP's I'll keep would be:

HD600
HD6XX
TH-X00 PH
M1060
Stax (all)

And honestly, each of those is on my "will keep forever" list.
LOL I have perhaps the same OCD-ness as you. I haven't done the paper towel mod, only because the white behind the grill would seriously F up my chi >.<

I need to go to a party store and look for black paper of some sort.

Hi, I am curious about the m1060 vs HD650/6XX as they are close in price, could you please advise, thanks

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,840 of 8,051
So guys! I just found something really cool. Magnetic pad adapters! 
Should make pad swapping very quick and painless. Anyone used them yet? I'm really curious about trying them out.
You can pick them up here: link. I wonder if he can do some for my LCD2 as well.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #2,841 of 8,051
  I'm just pressing F5 all day on monoprice website to see if these are available again lol... I'll order one of these as soon as possible...

beyersmile.png

They just updated the website. April 24th now.  :)

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #2,843 of 8,051
Hi, I am curious about the m1060 vs HD650/6XX as they are close in price, could you please advise, thanks

Go back to previous posts in this thread, we have talked about that comparison quite a bit:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones/2805#post_13428320

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #2,844 of 8,051
Should make pad swapping very quick and painless. Anyone used them yet? I'm really curious about trying them out.
You can pick them up here: link. I wonder if he can do some for my LCD2 as well.

Aren't the Planars themselves basically magnets? Any chance those would screw with the sound?

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #2,846 of 8,051
  Aren't the Planars themselves basically magnets? Any chance those would screw with the sound?

All speakers involve a magnet. What makes a planar is the diaphragm itself, it's a flat plane instead of a cone.

I'd also wager these pads don't affect the sound because the magnetic poles are going to be flat, relatively weak, and surrounding the speaker instead of being in its path. I'd give them a shot, I mean worst case scenario it could have SOME affect but it's not like it'd cause any damage.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #2,847 of 8,051

Man $48 additional. Maybe down the road.

First the M1060. Then Vegan pads. Then we'll see.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #2,848 of 8,051

Man $48 additional. Maybe down the road.

First the M1060. Then Vegan pads. Then we'll see.

I hear ya man. Be careful if you do get the vegan pads and put them on (using the adhesive rings) before you get a ring adapter. They are not designed to be stuck and unstuck and much of the suede will likely come off on the adhesive.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #2,850 of 8,051
Nope.  Big nope.  I've tried most of the HM5 pads as well as some other brands and Audeze Vegan is the only worthy pad.  It makes sense though when you realize that the M1060 was based on an Audeze headphone.  

Vegans are much more manageable after sticking them to a cotton shirt about 5-10 times.  Takes some of the stickiness away but still plenty strong.  IMO, they're too strong stock unless you nail the placement the first time.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back