Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 15, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #2,806 of 8,051
  I am so terribly intrigued by these. Generally, I prefer dynamics, but I do miss my old LCD-2 (pre-fazor) sometimes. However, I'm just not sure. Some seem to rave, meanwhile a review I saw (Verum Sonus) was seriously harsh on them. I'm reading through here and still stuck with the same question: if I'm looking for a warm/lush kind of sound out of a headphone, are these gonna do it?

It's warm and lush, especially with the mods everyone has been talking about. I havent listened to LCD-2's or anything in that league yet, but it's my favorite and warmest/detailed of the planar's I have: T50RP Mk3 (modded) and Audeze Sines.

I'm using vegan pads + 3" diameter coffee filter against the grill. Sounds great.

Monoprice has a good return policy. Try it out, especially since you seem to live in the states

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #2,807 of 8,051
  It's warm and lush, especially with the mods everyone has been talking about. I havent listened to LCD-2's or anything in that league yet, but it's my favorite and warmest/detailed of the planar's I have: T50RP Mk3 (modded) and Audeze Sines.

I'm using vegan pads + 3" diameter coffee filter against the grill. Sounds great.

Monoprice has a good return policy. Try it out, especially since you seem to live in the states

I'm noticing the paper towel mod seems to be nearly universal. I admit I'm always a little hedgy about anything that needs mods (even if the mods are supremely minor), but you've definitely helped nudge me along.

Basically, after some time with my HD700s (which I do still love) I've fallen back to the HD650s as a semi-endgame, but I'm trying to decide where to go from here. My list, up to now, was the HD800S and the Focal Elear, but I've heard such intriguing things about these...

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #2,808 of 8,051
  I'm noticing the paper towel mod seems to be nearly universal. I admit I'm always a little hedgy about anything that needs mods (even if the mods are supremely minor), but you've definitely helped nudge me along.

Basically, after some time with my HD700s (which I do still love) I've fallen back to the HD650s as a semi-endgame, but I'm trying to decide where to go from here. My list, up to now, was the HD800S and the Focal Elear, but I've heard such intriguing things about these...

Go back to around post #2577:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones/2565#post_13397680

I asked about comparisons to HD650 (which I also have) and there were a few responses that basically said the modded M1060 is similar sound signature to HD650, but a bigger and more epic version of them, which I think makes sense since they are reported as having wider soundstage and further bass and treble extension. It seems like owners of both are quite happy with the M1060 as an upgrade, but that the HD650 is still good at being more intimate and laid back.

I'm waiting to see if QC issues are taken care of in this next batch. If so, I will buy the M1060, see how they fit into my collection, and then possibly sell the HD650's if they are too similar. Maybe even trade for HD600. I still like the idea of getting into tubes sometime down the future so a good, high impedance dynamic would be nice to have. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #2,810 of 8,051

Go back to around post #2577:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones/2565#post_13397680

I asked about comparisons to HD650 (which I also have) and there were a few responses that basically said the modded M1060 is similar sound signature to HD650, but a bigger and more epic version of them, which I think makes sense since they are reported as having wider soundstage and further bass and treble extension. It seems like owners of both are quite happy with the M1060 as an upgrade, but that the HD650 is still good at being more intimate and laid back.

I'm waiting to see if QC issues are taken care of in this next batch. If so, I will buy the M1060, see how they fit into my collection, and then possibly sell the HD650's if they are too similar. Maybe even trade for HD600. I still like the idea of getting into tubes sometime down the future so a good, high impedance dynamic would be nice to have. 

Hmm. Definitely seems like it's good to hang tight for the time being and see what kind of revisions Monoprice does. 

I'll defo say if you want to get into the tube world then hang onto the 650s. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #2,812 of 8,051
Stock pads are not bad at all but Vegans are on another level, like those jeans that are 10 years old, have holes in them but are the comfiest damn things you can wear.  

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #2,814 of 8,051
For me the more expensive jeans are way more comfy then the cheap $15 ones.
Also good to know.

I own "$180" 7 jeans and have $15 Costco Urban Star jeans that match them in comfort while still looking half decent. The M1060s are the comfy Costco jeans of Planar Open Back Headphones.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #2,815 of 8,051
For me the more expensive jeans are way more comfy then the cheap $15 ones.
Also good to know.

I didn't say anything about price.  Just that well worn old jeans whether originally expensive or not are always more comfortable than new.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #2,817 of 8,051

For what it's worth I'm not using the paper towel mod, though I am using the Audeze vegan pads.  Forgive me, but I have a hard time with the idea (aesthetically) of paper towel cutouts being visible in the grills of my headphones.  

I can't complain about the sound quality at all, however.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #2,818 of 8,051

The midrange spike on these stock really really annoyed me and I found the stock bass a bit one note/ill defined, some in here like them just fine stock, I did not. I'm mostly in agreement with Kyle(Verumsonus), great driver, poor QC and stock tuning. Modded they are very nice cans and I'd argue they are def in the same SQ league as the HE-500/HE-560/LCD2.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #2,819 of 8,051
I have a set of balanced cables from Venture Eletronics/Veclan, but i'm not in love with the cable noise of the rigid braided coating, any good alternatives for a balanced MMCX-> XLR 4-pin cable with less cable noise?

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,820 of 8,051

Users who are viewing this thread

Back