Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 13, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #2,776 of 8,051

+1

Just ordered the MrSpeakers Aeons as a closed set to pair with the M1060s. I might be done...... that might be it....

....probably not

​Plan on doing the same thing...but ordered the Aeon's first...just waiting for the M1060 to come back into stock...and the M1060 will be my first open back, though thinking of grabbing the HD 650/HD 6XX as well. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #2,778 of 8,051

+1

Just ordered the MrSpeakers Aeons as a closed set to pair with the M1060s. I might be done...... that might be it....

....probably not

I already pulled the trigger and ordered the Aeons too lool.
and... I ordered the STAX 3100 from Amazon Japan put they sometimes have issues getting pay authorizations for my Visa.. if it takes as long as my Onkyo Granbeat to approve, I may reconsider it.
I really need to stop 
confused_face.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,781 of 8,051
Why not go for 1 TOTL instead of several "medium-range" ones, since you are buying them simultaneously? Something like the Ether C Flow or LCD-XC.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2,782 of 8,051
Why not go for 1 TOTL instead of several "medium-range" ones, since you are buying them simultaneously? Something like the Ether C Flow or LCD-XC.

I thought about this and I have a different viewpoint..
I find the flagship HP having severe diminishing return in performance/value over the mid range now ($300-$700) while the mid range provide more differentiation in utility while still maintaining high SQ at reasonable price.
I believe Mid range in price is not mid range in performance anymore, especially in recent years. it is more like %90 in SQ compared to high end. For example, I tried the LCD-X and LCD-3 and did not find it, IMHO, going enough beyond the M1060 to justify the cost even if I can afford it. They are better built compared to M1060, but I can buy another pair and still save money.
Moreover, some of the mixed reviews of the high end HP makes me wary of the issue of subjectivity and personal preference. It would be great if I can try them before I buy, but I don't have that option where I live. it is all about compromising.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #2,784 of 8,051
  Used HE-6 with the proper amplification is endgame for most.

They are certainly up there. What makes me wary, though, is their review on innerfidility (fourth paragraph).
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-conclusions#YeaYbEVqzXmCcGqd.97

I think the M1060 is an excellent choice and end game for me when it comes to openback PM if sound leak is not an issue. for closed back, I am hoping that the Aeon will be the one. I feel the Argon, albeit excellent, is not quite the end game.

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #2,785 of 8,051
Hi guys. Im just getting into the world of HQ headphones. Ive just got a senns amperior wich im really liking, but im using them mostly with my mobile in my daily travel to work. I have a shure se215 for workout and i love them too (i like the amperior sq and ss more)
But now im looking into getting a pair of open overear HP to use in my home. I had a pair of mdrxb950bt, but i sold them (nice features but too much bass, bloated sometimes for me) My only pair of overear are a gam4zero senns for gaming (i think it is a entry level headphone from senn but just with a mic, nice sound anyways, but they are closed cans)
Anyway, I did an extensive search looking for a good pair of open cans. My choice initially was the hd650/6xx (if massdrop had the offer i would probably got them), and i saw plenty of dac and amps too (i like the idea of tube amps and tube rolling to change soound sig.) But then i saw the m1060 and I was impressed by the comments all over the internet, i know that they have QC issues, but i think they will adress them in the next batch. So I thought like, well "Planar magnetics will be something new and cool to try, and I can expend a little more and take these with a good dac and tube amp" (some ppl even say like these are "end game" if that terminology exist in HiFi audio)

Long story short, i can spare a few extra dollars on these insted of the hd6xx. I wont buy the regular hd650, they are way too expensive from where i can get them (its hard living in Argentina and looking for good audio equipment, lol)

It will be a good investment? Someone thinks that the hd6xx are a better choice?
The dac/tube amp from monoprice is a good combo with the m1060? (not so many review of this yet)

Well sry for the long post.
Ill greatly appreciate your help.
Sry for the bad english.

Cya :)

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2,786 of 8,051
Hi guys. Im just getting into the world of HQ headphones. Ive just got a senns amperior wich im really liking, but im using them mostly with my mobile in my daily travel to work. I have a shure se215 for workout and i love them too (i like the amperior sq and ss more)
But now im looking into getting a pair of open overear HP to use in my home. I had a pair of mdrxb950bt, but i sold them (nice features but too much bass, bloated sometimes for me) My only pair of overear are a gam4zero senns for gaming (i think it is a entry level headphone from senn but just with a mic, nice sound anyways, but they are closed cans)
Anyway, I did an extensive search looking for a good pair of open cans. My choice initially was the hd650/6xx (if massdrop had the offer i would probably got them), and i saw plenty of dac and amps too (i like the idea of tube amps and tube rolling to change soound sig.) But then i saw the m1060 and I was impressed by the comments all over the internet, i know that they have QC issues, but i think they will adress them in the next batch. So I thought like, well "Planar magnetics will be something new and cool to try, and I can expend a little more and take these with a good dac and tube amp" (some ppl even say like these are "end game" if that terminology exist in HiFi audio)

Long story short, i can spare a few extra dollars on these insted of the hd6xx. I wont buy the regular hd650, they are way too expensive from where i can get them (its hard living in Argentina and looking for good audio equipment, lol)

It will be a good investment? Someone thinks that the hd6xx are a better choice?
The dac/tube amp from monoprice is a good combo with the m1060? (not so many review of this yet)

Sry for the bad english.

Cya
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, you can check the headphones I have, and M1060 is better than all of them in SQ. Build quality will be addressed in the next batch according to Monoprice. IMHO, the M1060 could be very well the end game for many as a home daily driver. I think you will be happy with it. I am driving it with Micca Origen+.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #2,787 of 8,051

Well, you can check the headphones I have, and M1060 is better than all of them in SQ. Build quality will be addressed in the next batch according to Monoprice. IMHO, the M1060 could be very well the end game for many as a home daily driver. I think you will be happy with it. I am driving it with Micca Origen+.

Yeah, I went from the SHP9500s at $60 to the K7XXs at $199 to the X2s at $250 to the M1060s at $300 to the Beyer DT1990 pros at $600. All since December. At every stage there was a major improvement in sound quality until the last one: I prefer M1060s to the Beyers. Tested out several other high end phones (HD800s; LCD2s) and did not prefer them to the M1060s. So, for open back, I am now done. Probably. The only thing that could tempt me at this point are LCD3s, which are butter...

Hoping that the Aeons will be my closed can end game.....

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2,788 of 8,051
The force is indeed strong with this one :wink: I think they're hard to buy unless you live in the US due to all the quality issues. Return will be costly and time consuming for many other locations. Unfortunately I also believe that there's a very small chance for the next batch to have any major improvements (except maybe a better cable) due to the short time between the batches. I do hope to be proven wrong though so that I can get a pair myself to check them out.

The need for a additional $150 or so (shipped and taxed to Norway) for upgrade pads are also a challenge....

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #2,789 of 8,051

Sry for the bad english.

Cya
smily_headphones1.gif

While I haven't heard the M1060 yet since they are still out of stock and I would be very concerned with QC since shipping things from Argentina might be quite expensive and I wouldn't put any faith that the second batch will be a large improvement in QC.  With that said I have a few different headphones for different genres of music since I've yet to find one or 2 that can do it all and I listen to headphones in various rooms so not having to move one headphone to another room along with the DAC/amp if the headphone needs it is one way of doing it.  You can look in my profile to see what I have/had.  I usually use 4-5 different headphones everyday, I just like the different  sound signatures and even listening to the same track on different headphones can be enjoyable.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #2,790 of 8,051

Yeah, I went from the SHP9500s at $60 to the K7XXs at $199 to the X2s at $250 to the M1060s at $300 to the Beyer DT1990 pros at $600. All since December. At every stage there was a major improvement in sound quality until the last one: I prefer M1060s to the Beyers. Tested out several other high end phones (HD800s; LCD2s) and did not prefer them to the M1060s. So, for open back, I am now done. Probably. The only thing that could tempt me at this point are LCD3s, which are butter...

Hoping that the Aeons will be my closed can end game.....

The only thing that impressed me after I got my M1060 is my Audeze iSine 10. I bought it last month and it still amazes me every time I put them on. soundstage, SQ, detail, the closest you get to an LCD-3 but with slightly less bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back