Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 5, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #286 of 624
Hey, does anyone know what's the max input voltage, before it starts clipping. Is it possible to measure it without oscilloscope. Or better yet someone already have measured it. Sure it can handle 2vrms no problem, but would 3vrms or more be an issue?

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #287 of 624
Hey, does anyone know what's the max input voltage, before it starts clipping. Is it possible to measure it without oscilloscope. Or better yet someone already have measured it. Sure it can handle 2vrms no problem, but would 3vrms or more be an issue?

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #288 of 624

The only limitation (for the normal range of sources) will be how much range you'll have on the volume rotation. Obviously, the higher the input voltage and the more sensitive the headphones the less range there will be after liftoff.

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #289 of 624
The only limitation (for the normal range of sources) will be how much range you'll have on the volume rotation. Obviously, the higher the input voltage and the more sensitive the headphones the less range there will be after liftoff.

Thank you.
It seems to be working great with 3vrm from ibasso dx200, sounds fantastic. Jut wanted to check since most dac's have around 2vrm's on rca outputs and this has 3vrms.

Feb 5, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #290 of 624
My current music setup at work is Spotify HQ/MacBook/Dragonfly red/ Ety ER4XR | Zu modded HD280 Senn; I was fairly happy with it but just impulse bought the Liquid Spark hoping to take it to the next level.
The device quality is amazing for the price but while music indeeds sounds much better to me by most criteria (bass, soundstage, details, tone), the lack of "percussion" / "attack" is a showstopper: e.g. snare drums / cymbals impacts sound too soft, vibraphone & piano don't cut through enough.
I get that impact listening to DF Red directly; with the Spark in between, sound is more beautiful but it doesn't make me want to get up and dance anymore. :frowning2:
I'm on the fence about returning it, is there anything I can do or check to improve impact? (I'm close to 50h break in time, using slightly above cheapo grade monoprice premium jack/RCA cable, DF as preamp with output levels maxed)
I'm not very familiar with audiophile reviews jargon but reading Liquid Spark reviews in hindsight, is this what is being described as "tube like", "warm", "soft", "cozy", "polite"? If so I guess I should rather try Schiit's Magni 3?
Are there any objective measurements in gear reviews corresponding to this?
- thanks

There are measurements here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-cavalli-liquid-spark-technical-measurements.890981

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #291 of 624
I'm fairly new to the headphone scene so I purchased both the Magni and the Liquid Spark paired with a Modi DAC see which one I liked more with my LCD-2Cs. They sound great in their own way, overall the Spark feels more natural and smooth and the Magni has a more in your face sound. They are both fantastic amps at this price point, and as most mentioned, you can't go wrong with either. I can't decide so I might end up keeping both :)

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #292 of 624
Anyone paired the Liquid Spark with the Hifiman Sundara? I bought the Sundara for $279 at Canjam NYC, wondering if this headphone would pair well with the LS.

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #293 of 624
I went for them,

Just got my Liquid Spark, so far so good, Only burn them in for about 10 hours, paired with my Hifiman Sundara for Vinyl listening only,
20190223_172529.jpg
I will write about my impressions within a few days.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #294 of 624
Feb 25, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #295 of 624
This is hands down one of the best amps I’ve ever heard for enjoyment in any price range. I’ve been listening to this more than my Eddie Current Black window. So many overpriced gear out there like the Chord gear and there’s an absolute banger at £100.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #298 of 624
Btw, if you are in Canada, the Spark is going for $140.43 CAD at amazon.ca at the moment:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07JW7NSXT...sc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&tag=vglnk-ca-c70-20

That's a damn fine deal for us canucks (the cheapest I could find a few months ago was $25 more than this).

Wish I would have seen this earlier that is a great deal.

Might have to pay the full price now for one because it seems like its no longer at 140 unless i can find a used one in tbe market place

Want to try this amp with my Lcd2 classics

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #299 of 624
Wish I would have seen this earlier that is a great deal.

Might have to pay the full price now for one because it seems like its no longer at 140 unless i can find a used one in tbe market place

Want to try this amp with my Lcd2 classics

I got it at newegg.ca for $182.88 total, which was less than the amazon.ca total at the time (when shipping/taxes/duty was taken into the equation). I am very satisfied with it for that price (but I wouldn't have complained to have gotten it for that sale price!).

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #300 of 624
Very happy with my Liquid Spark.

@rayliam80 briefly mentioned the differences in sound between high and low gain earlier in this thread. I have to agree with him. Low gain sounds hefty, spacious, and relaxed--mids are liquid and the stage is deep. High gain is faster, with more incisive treble and quicker bass dynamics, for a more forward "front row" type of soundstaging.

I like them both, but I prefer the low gain for its slight warmth and the deep gaze it gives into the midrange. I switch to high gain only when I want to make my T50RP play extra loudly for quiet recordings.

I have to say, this thing has unexpectedly turned out to be an amazing preamp as well. Gives my speaker system sweeter tone and punchier dynamics. I think Cavalli nailed the tuning. It is nearly transparent, and yet it can add some extra depth and "meat on the bones" to my squeaky clean Class D amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back