Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Oct 13, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #121 of 624
Lmao U gonna give them the rest back?

yea, I'm gonna give them back... But first I'm gonna make sure I call them because I've been trying to get the cracked wood fixed on my m1060s for mad long, but they don't answer....yet they **** up an order and they send you out a return label real quick, weird huh?

Even so, I still believe in being a good person

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #123 of 624
Just got mine today, it's much smaller than I thought it would be. Its footprint is about that of a CD case and it is just under 4 CD cases tall. It sounds fantastic and powers my headphones with ease.

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #124 of 624
Well, my Spark has suddenly developed a buzzing sound as well, though mine is persistent. This is on top of the faulty preamplifier output. To make matters worse, Monoprice seems to have no record of my purchase attached to my account and they have not bothered to respond to either of my two support requests. I'm thinking this will be my last Monoprice purchase.

The one I said works as intended still has the buzz during certain notes. It sound like harmonic distortion like fret buzz on a guitar is that how yours sound? I had the same problem on the cht so idk if it’s like a thing with these or what.

I can give you guys a track to try out and see if you use Spotify look up Haley Reinhardt - can’t help falling in love righ

Right at the 35 second mark there is a prominent buzzing during the word i she sings like if you can’t hear the buzzing there than idk. It was the same on every amp even the cht and it happens on many other songs certain notes usually higher notes

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #125 of 624
The one I said works as intended still has the buzz during certain notes. It sound like harmonic distortion like fret buzz on a guitar is that how yours sound? I had the same problem on the cht so idk if it’s like a thing with these or what.

I can give you guys a track to try out and see if you use Spotify look up Haley Reinhardt - can’t help falling in love righ

Right at the 35 second mark there is a prominent buzzing during the word i she sings like if you can’t hear the buzzing there than idk. It was the same on every amp even the cht and it happens on many other songs certain notes usually higher notes

Weird, I played that very song and that very segment several times on Spotify through my Yulong U100 DAC/amp, both directly through the headphone out and then to the Bravo Audio Ocean hybrid tube amp from the U100, over both HD 650 and K712 Pro headphones and I couldn’t hear any buzzing there during the “I” vocalization.

I don’t have the Spark, though, unfortunately, for comparison.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #126 of 624
Well, my Spark has suddenly developed a buzzing sound as well, though mine is persistent. This is on top of the faulty preamplifier output. To make matters worse, Monoprice seems to have no record of my purchase attached to my account and they have not bothered to respond to either of my two support requests. I'm thinking this will be my last Monoprice purchase.

I'm considering buying one just to open it up and find out its faults, since every Cavalli amp is full of them. And with all the people having issues, this seems like it'll be helpful.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #127 of 624

How long has it been since you contacted them?

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #128 of 624
nQXpHgT.jpg

My Liquid Spark arrived yesterday. It's the first desktop non-usb powered headphone amp I've owned. I'm pairing it with my iFi iDSD Nano BL. I considered the Spark a bit of a splurge mainly just so I could have something decent to power my DT900 Pro 250ohm headphones. The mids of the DT990 Pro seem to breathe a little easier now, vocals feel more prominent, and there's more dynamic range and separation happening. Nine to eleven o'clock on the potentiometer provides adequate listening levels on high gain for these headphones (versus twelve to six on my other devices I've used). My ATH-50X also seems to take on a fuller character as well and feels more pleasurable to listen to.

IEMs, as expected, not very much play in the volume knob from barely on to decent listening level (without channel imbalance). High gain increases the bass and overall makes any IEM sound bigger and more aggressive. Low gain makes them feel more airy and spacious with just a little bit more leeway in volume difference. Using my Ibasso IT01 to compare the Nano's direct port output and the low gain output on the Spark while matching the volume to the best of my abilities, I'm hearing slightly better dynamic range on the Spark. The Spark sounds less congested. Bass frequencies are slightly more boomy with the iFi. The IT01 plugged into the iEMatch port helps to bring the dynamic range closer to the Spark but the bass handling is the same. Both devices are great and it's nice to have the option at my desk with the Spark as well as having the portability of the Nano.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #130 of 624

I compared the track on Spotify. I hear a touch of static/click when she says "Shall I stay" but I hear the static/click also on my iFi Nano. I'm using the Spotify app on my Macbook.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #131 of 624
Since the first request, maybe three days or so. I think there's still a strong chance they could get back to me after the weekend, but, in my mind, a company that takes that much time to respond to a customer support request is a company that doesn't give a damn about its customers.

Ping me if it goes more than a week.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #133 of 624
It is amazing (or maybe not so amazing) how similar in tonality and other areas the sound signature of the Spark is to that of the Liquid Carbon v1. The Liquid Carbon does have a tad more energy, detail, air, extension at both ends, and bass heft, (with volume dial set at the approx. 9 o'clock position on both units)... I do not know how much the differences arise from the balanced circuitry of the carbon (Later, I shall connect to the carbon in SE mode and see what that does to those differences)... While the differences should ultimately not be that surprising, given the price points, it is the similarities that I am finding most striking,

For a <$100 little amp, the Spark really delivers in Spades, and that is impressive. It has tripled my curiosity about the Liquid Platinum, and what differences it, too, is going to bring to the table, relative to both the Spark and Carbon.

FWIW, the spark sounds pretty clean (as does the Carbon), and I do not detect any noise, in the form of a hiss, hum or static... It is as clean as a whistle. So far I have been doing all listening and comparisons with the Hifiman He-1000.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #134 of 624
Just wanted to report, I finally tried my preamp out to my desktop speakers (Kanto Yu2 Bamboo) and no issues so far. No static or channel issues.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #135 of 624

Just tried that track on Tidal with my Spark and HD600. Sounded great, no buzzing. Maybe it's something else in your chain is contributing to the buzzing if it's also doing this on your CTH.

It is amazing (or maybe not so amazing) how similar in tonality and other areas the sound signature of the Spark is to that of the Liquid Carbon v1. The Liquid Carbon does have a tad more energy, detail, air, extension at both end, and bass heft, (with volume dial set at the approx. 9 o'clock position on both units)... I do not know how much the differences arise from the balanced circuitry of the carbon (Later, I shall connect to the carbon in SE mode and see what does to thos difference)... While the differences should ultimately not be that surprising, given the price points, it is the similarities that I am finding most striking,

For a <$100 little amp, the Spark really delivers in Spades, and that is impressive. It has tripled my curiosity about the Liquid Platinum, and what differences it, too, is going to bring to the table, relative to both the Spark and Carbon).

FWIW, the spark sounds pretty clean (as does the Carbon), and I do not detect any noise, in the form of a hiss, hum or static... It is as clean as a whistle. So far I have been doing all listening and comparisons with the Hifiman He-1000.

I'll bust out my HEK and also compare the Spark with the LCv1 when I have a chance. If anything Alex has been able to translate the Cavalli house sound thought their line-up very consistently. When I had a Liquid Crimson, I A/B'd it to the Liquid Carbon v1 and although the Crimson was technically superior in most areas, the LCv1 sounded very similar tonally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back