Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 26, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #586 of 624
Interesting that he's not a Sennheiser fan. Sounds like it has just enough power to drive them I guess. Do headphone amps start clipping near the top of their volume control (generally speaking)?
I've used the LS to drive HD600's and HD6XX's with no problem. It seems that the HD600 and HD650 have been around forever,
and that can leave people jaded towards them.

I have noticed on several occasions though, that some headphone enthusiasts who at some point sold either an HD600 or HD650, eventually purchased one again. I know that while they are not quite as aggressive sounding as some of my planar magnetics are, they do what they do quite well. Specifically, their clean midrange. Of course, matching the right headphone to the right headphone amplifier is all about synergy. FWIW, I have personally found that the HD600 and HD6XX scale extremely well with tube headphones amplifiers. And in particular, OTL headphone amplifiers.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #587 of 624
Got an email from Monoprice that the LS is gone for good. Amazon seems to have a few at full MSRP $129 last time I checked.

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #589 of 624
Not so .... Out of Stock ETA: 6/25/2023
"First of all, thank you for choosing Monoprice.com! Unfortunately, we no longer carry the following item:
Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Spark Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli (PID: 33304)

At this time, we do not carry a suitable substitution item. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #590 of 624
First (mass)drop and now this:

1679849855071.png

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #591 of 624
"First of all, thank you for choosing Monoprice.com! Unfortunately, we no longer carry the following item:
Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Spark Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli (PID: 33304)

At this time, we do not carry a suitable substitution item. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

They had this same press release last week and they continued to sell them on the MP website and dropped the price to $61.99. I believe they are just out of stock.

RIP Liquid Spark, is delisted from Monoprice search, and when following this link the page says "This item has been discontinued"
https://www.discogs.com/user/Inoculator/collection

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #592 of 624

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

They had this same press release last week and they continued to sell them on the MP website and dropped the price to $61.99. I believe they are just out of stock.

https://www.discogs.com/user/Inoculator/collection
I wonder if Monoprice is also discontinuing the Liquid Platinum? If so, I wonder if they will continue to honor the 5 year
warranty on the LP?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #595 of 624
Liquid Spark is showing back up and available on the website for $79.99.

I really do wonder, with all of the issues people have been seeing lately - lots of out-of-stocks, elongated shipping times, now the changes in European distribution - that as a company, Monoprice is on its last legs. The pricing model they run seems ridiculous; i.e. the price/value for what they sell in so many areas makes one shake their head and say, "how do they actually make money?"

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #596 of 624
Liquid Spark is showing back up and available on the website for $79.99.

I really do wonder, with all of the issues people have been seeing lately - lots of out-of-stocks, elongated shipping times, now the changes in European distribution - that as a company, Monoprice is on its last legs. The pricing model they run seems ridiculous; i.e. the price/value for what they sell in so many areas makes one shake their head and say, "how do they actually make money?"
Maybe they "found" some more of them like the SAE1000e cartridge NOS that pops up magically! It still says limit of 20, which to me is simply an invitation for ebay sellers to snap them up for when they can mark them up. Still, very strange they sent me that email just days before.

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #598 of 624
did anybody try LS with a dongle dac like Cayin RU6 or Questyle M15? Especially with Cayin RU6
I’m feeding my new LS from a AudioQuest DragonFly black DAC, plugged into a Macbook Pro, then from the LS to a pair of Dynaudio BM5A mkI powered monitors. Also using a pair of Audio Technica M50 headphones. Works well, very satisfied.

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #599 of 624
I’m feeding my new LS from a AudioQuest DragonFly black DAC, plugged into a Macbook Pro, then from the LS to a pair of Dynaudio BM5A mkI powered monitors. Also using a pair of Audio Technica M50 headphones. Works well, very satisfied.
no, I know it will work, because I tried it with ibasso dc06 or fiio k3, but was just curious about the sound impressions with the RU6 +LS.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #600 of 624
Broken record but LS's are gone again at MP. ETA late June. Amazon raised the price again too with a May delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back