Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 31, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #556 of 624
For what it's worth, I have the original Magni 3 and JDS Labs Atom. Both have a hi/low gain switch, while the LS's gain is fixed.
Sonically I prefer the LS to both of the other headphone amplifiers. Of course this is purely subjective. I just like the tone of the LS
better. I also have a Lokius and it works well with the LS. At $79 it's difficult to go wrong with the LS. It sounds quite a bit
like the Liquid Platinum: the same "House sound." Just not quite as detailed. But given the price difference that's not surprising.
Does your Jotenheim have pass through by chance or is the line out amplified? Thanks again!

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #557 of 624
Does your Jotenheim have pass through by chance or is the line out amplified? Thanks again!
The Jotunheim is line out, and does function credibly as a preamplifier as well as a headphone
amplifier.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #558 of 624
For what it's worth, I have the original Magni 3 and JDS Labs Atom. Both have a hi/low gain switch, while the LS's gain is fixed.
Sonically I prefer the LS to both of the other headphone amplifiers. Of course this is purely subjective. I just like the tone of the LS
better. I also have a Lokius and it works well with the LS. At $79 it's difficult to go wrong with the LS. It sounds quite a bit
like the Liquid Platinum: the same "House sound." Just not quite as detailed. But given the price difference that's not surprising.
I also have a Magni 3 , JDS Atom , Liquid Platinum and Liquid Spark and also prefer the LS over the Magni and Atom as well. There is that ”House sound” on the LS that is similar to the LP but yes will pick the LP .

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #559 of 624
My LS is the $89 version - it does have a hi/low gain switch. +3 or +6dB - not a huge difference. Great little amp. This little Spark has made many a tedious Zoom call and lousy sounding YT videos more bearable for me.

s-l400.jpg

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #560 of 624
My liquid spark has a hi gain/low gain switch.; well It's a push button that does the switching.
I think all liquid sparks have high gain/low gain.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #561 of 624
My liquid spark has a hi gain/low gain switch.; well It's a push button that does the switching.
Yes the two gain options are +3 and +6db. My concern about it that it doesn't have a zero gain setting or even a negative gain for sensitive IEMs. I'm not sure you could hook up the output to a tape monitor without a problem. If someone has a different experience, it would be nice to hear about it. Thanks for the feedback!

The only device I've found is the Topping L50 with true passthrough.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #562 of 624
Hi folks, new poster here (at least recently). Regarding the Liquid Spark, can I run this through my tape monitor? In other words, will the pre-out be line level if it's controlled by the volume knob? Set it to max? I noticed it only has a +3 and 6 gain option, no zero db. Thanks in advance for any replies!

BTW, these are $79 brand new right now at Monoprice!
All I know is that I can drive a headphone amp from the liquid spark rca outputs, and the liquid spark volume knob raises and lowers the level of the amp. At the very least I can say the spark pre amp outputs are not passive pass through, the level is controlled by the volume control.

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #563 of 624
All I know is that I can drive a headphone amp from the liquid spark rca outputs, and the liquid spark volume knob raises and lowers the level of the amp. At the very least I can say the spark pre amp outputs are not passive pass through, the level is controlled by the volume control.
Right thanks. Yes, almost all of these headphone amps pass the amp section through to the outputs these days so they can operate as a preamp. The advised way to processor/tape loop the devices is to turn the volume control to maximum with the zero db gain setting. This approximates a line level signal. Both Schiit and JDS Labs told me this. The Liquid spark doesn't have a zero gain setting and would boost by 3db, making it unsuitable. But, they will all color the signal with amplification/second volume control when it isn't needed. I believe the Cavalli Platinum has a passthrough option. The Topping L50 definitely has it (as well as balanced pass through).

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #564 of 624
Right thanks. Yes, almost all of these headphone amps pass the amp section through to the outputs these days so they can operate as a preamp. The advised way to processor/tape loop the devices is to turn the volume control to maximum with the zero db gain setting. This approximates a line level signal. Both Schiit and JDS Labs told me this. The Liquid spark doesn't have a zero gain setting and would boost by 3db, making it unsuitable. But, they will all color the signal with amplification/second volume control when it isn't needed. I believe the Cavalli Platinum has a passthrough option. The Topping L50 definitely has it (as well as balanced pass through).
So a 3db gain would overload the tape input?
Yea, with 2 volume controls in effect it's double amping.
I don't know how much that would color the sound. It would to some extent, although how much I don't know. Ideally an amp shouldn't color the sound, but with two amps in series that might change the parameters.

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #565 of 624
I stand corrected. On checking it, my Liquid Spark does have a gain button. I had it confused with my Liquid Platinum which does not have a gain switch. On an aside, the preamp section is active (as opposed to just a pass through), and will drive either a dedicated speaker amplifier or a pair of self powered speakers. At the $100 price point my two favorite headphone amplifiers are the Liquid Spark and the Loxjie P20 (to my knowledge the least expensive fully balanced headphone amp on the market). When paired with the right headphones either of these headphone amplifiers can be part of an endgame headphone system. 😊

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #566 of 624
So a 3db gain would overload the tape input?
Yea, with 2 volume controls in effect it's double amping.
I don't know how much that would color the sound. It would to some extent, although how much I don't know. Ideally an amp shouldn't color the sound, but with two amps in series that might change the parameters.
Not sure. I discovered my Parasound power amp has a pass through output/loop as well. Might be able to use that with any headphone amp of my choice. Ideally, I just want to listen to headphones with any source, most importantly the vinyl rig. That rules out anything without an analog input like the Topping DX3Pro. I've got a vintage McCormack line stage (which I love). No headphone output. After the amp, it's on to headphone shopping.

Thanks for the feedback btw!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #568 of 624
Btw, Various Retailers have Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Spark Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli (133304) on sale for $67.99.

Available from:
Monoprice
Amazon
Monoprice via Target
Monoprice via eBay
Thank you! I actually went for the Topping L50. The Liquid Spark is definitely a no brainer for under $100. Kinda wish I got both just to check it out. Maybe I will!

Mar 14, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #569 of 624
Mar 14, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #570 of 624

Users who are viewing this thread

Back