Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 18, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #601 of 624
I really like this amp. However I noticed there's channel imbalance at around 9 to 10 o' clock. This seems like the spot everyone who mentions imbalance hears it. I got the amp replaced and the new one has the same issue at around the same spot. I mean the 2 units I got could've been the same batch, but I'm finding much older posts about this too.

There's some who claims theirs don't have it... which tempts me want to go for a 3rd unit... But I don't know how it's possible some people get the same imbalance at the same spot through multiple years...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #602 of 624
Is this using SE or balanced ?

I’m using balanced and don’t hear it.

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #603 of 624
Is this using SE or balanced ?

I’m using balanced and don’t hear it.
If this is a Liquid Spark it's only single ended. The Liquid Platinum is both balanced and single ended. As for the slight channel imbalance it afflicts both my Liquid Platinum and Liquid Spark, but it's not a problem unless the headphones are very low impedance (under 25 ohms), and highly efficient.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #604 of 624
If this is a Liquid Spark it's only single ended. The Liquid Platinum is both balanced and single ended. As for the slight channel imbalance it afflicts both my Liquid Platinum and Liquid Spark, but it's not a problem unless the headphones are very low impedance (under 25 ohms), and highly efficient.
Oh is it a common issue? So I should keep my unit and not try a 3rd replacement? From my searching I've just seen people tell those who mention the issue to get it replaced.

Btw, I've tried it with sennheiser 560S, 660S & Focal Elegia. All are noticeable to me, they are 120, 150, 35 ohms respectively. But yea it's very much possible some people have the issue but do not notice it because of their setup (9-10 o clock is too low for them to hear it on their setup etc. or they zoom past that).

I should also point out the volume gaps up along with the imbalance (as opposed to linearly) when you cross into this tiny 'zone' between 9-10 o' clock. It's almost like the imbalanced is caused because the right side gaps up in volume, but the left doesn't. Then turn it a tiny bit more, left channel catches up in volume and it's fine.

Is it the biggest deal? No not really I guess. But I don't want to keep a faulty unit if there are perfectly fine units.

Apr 18, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #605 of 624
Oh is it a common issue? So I should keep my unit and not try a 3rd replacement? From my searching I've just seen people tell those who mention the issue to get it replaced.

Btw, I've tried it with sennheiser 560S, 660S & Focal Elegia. All are noticeable to me, they are 120, 150, 35 ohms respectively. But yea it's very much possible some people have the issue but do not notice it because of their setup (9-10 o clock is too low for them to hear it on their setup etc. or they zoom past that).

I should also point out the volume gaps up along with the imbalance (as opposed to linearly) when you cross into this tiny 'zone' between 9-10 o' clock. It's almost like the imbalanced is caused because the right side gaps up in volume, but the left doesn't. Then turn it a tiny bit more, left channel catches up in volume and it's fine.

Is it the biggest deal? No not really I guess. But I don't want to keep a faulty unit if there are perfectly fine units.
I know the channel imbalance has been an issue, but it is usually only problematic for IEM's and very low impedance
headphones that are efficient. I guess you can return your LS, but you may find that the next one has the same issue.
It's unfortunate that the Liquid Platinum is sold out. Not sure if it will be available again. What a bargain that was for
$339, discounted from $799!

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #606 of 624
Oh ok. Cause I was like you got some bad luck. My Oppo PM-3 are 26ohm and I don’t hear it on either one.

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #607 of 624

I know what it is and what to look for, but never heard it on either one.

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #609 of 624
Preamp out on the Spark sounds really good into my Aegir. I wish volume knob has more range instead if getting super loud by 10 - 11’o clock
What speakers are you using? You're having this problem with the Liquid Spark even in low gain?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #611 of 624
Speakers are Sierra 2
Yes, Low gain
It is usable for sure but more linear gain would be ideal

Not familiar with these speakers but they must be very efficient. You may want to purchase an attenuator cable, which will lower the output volume of the Liquid Spark
by about 20db. This will take care of your volume problem.

May 3, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #612 of 624
MP has the LS in stock again at the full $129 price just FYI. It's strange how they could go all the way down to $62 at one point and then back to $129. But they're available and $129 still isn't a bad value for a solid HPA.

May 3, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #613 of 624
MP has the LS in stock again at the full $129 price just FYI. It's strange how they could go all the way down to $62 at one point and then back to $129. But they're available and $129 still isn't a bad value for a solid HPA.

Probably computer algorithms. Amazon does this. You can buy a product for a certain price and a short time later the price has fluctuated wildly - sometimes up,
sometimes down.

May 3, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #614 of 624
On Amazon it was 79 $ plus shipping for the last two weeks , today just jumped to 129 $.

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #615 of 624
Curious to see if anyone is still using this little beast as of 2024. I am. :smirk:

1705716606777.png

4 years of service in a couple of months. :muscle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back