Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #346 of 841
It's not semantics.

Certification involves a third party (THX or other) testing a manufacturer's product and, if it performs to spec and the manufacturer pays whatever fees are involved, the third party grants the certification.

In this case, THX is providing the tech instead of just testing it.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #347 of 841
It's not semantics.

Certification involves a third party (THX or other) testing a manufacturer's product and, provided it performs to spec, certifying it.

In this case, THX is providing the tech instead of just testing it.

sure - you are right if that is what you are after.

THX is on the unit because they are using their latest AAA tech. unfortunately it turns out their implementation of that tech could/should have been much better - that is what anyone following this thread needs to know.

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #348 of 841
Outside of hissing on extremely sensitive IEMs, I dont really have anything showstopping to complain about. This sounds a step up in quality than my Topping DX7 which is a comparable budget darling.

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #349 of 841
I tried out my etymotic Hf5 paired with this, and I definitely hear a a flat noise floor when plugged in (that doesn't change when I raise or lover the volume). It becomes even more noticeable once I put on my hearing protectors over my Hf5s for added isolation. When I watch a YouTube video with this setup on my phone (LG v30+) and turn the phone source volume to one bar while turning up the amp volume (all the way), then the distortion becomes extremely noticeable with an extremely harsh hiss.

I know that I'm really pushing the limits with that kind of test, but I wanted to see how far I could go with that. It seems as though there is still room for improvement on headphone amplifier technology in the future, and hopefully a lot of price decreases to follow along with that.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #351 of 841
Thanks for everyone's input. This is tempting to get since there's a 10% coupon on monoprice!

it's a good unit.

Pros
  • very low noise, high SNR
  • good headphone amp that will drive most cans pretty well - although keep in mind it puts out about half as much power as advertised at high ohms. low impedance, it puts out a full watt - so no worries there.
  • display is great
  • build quality feels good
  • attractive

cons
  • no xmos driver available, no downloadable firmware. best experience probably to use ASIO drivers
  • possible issue with analog inputs
  • navigation is annoying & really could have used a remote
  • two buttons on the front face feel cheap
  • possible engineering issue with circuit protection - shouldn't be an issue if you are careful and use common sense.
  • Monoprice service is lacking and slow

it's a very good value for the $. depending on what you are looking for it can make a ton of sense

Dec 16, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #352 of 841
Thanks for everyone's input. This is tempting to get since there's a 10% coupon on monoprice!
That's the first time I've seen a coupon for a newer item. Usually, they would have sitewide discounts that take a percentage off all items in your checkout cart, but it would always exclude certain products.

Dec 16, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #353 of 841
it's a good unit.

Pros
  • very low noise, high SNR
  • good headphone amp that will drive most cans pretty well - although keep in mind it puts out about half as much power as advertised at high ohms. low impedance, it puts out a full watt - so no worries there.
  • display is great
  • build quality feels good
  • attractive

cons
  • no xmos driver available, no downloadable firmware. best experience probably to use ASIO drivers
  • possible issue with analog inputs
  • navigation is annoying & really could have used a remote
  • two buttons on the front face feel cheap
  • possible engineering issue with circuit protection - shouldn't be an issue if you are careful and use common sense.
  • Monoprice service is lacking and slow

it's a very good value for the $. depending on what you are looking for it can make a ton of sense

I am using XMOS drivers with it.

Untitled.png

Noise isn't great for high sensitive IEMs though.

I havent had issues with coaxial, toslink or usb or RCA analog.

Definitely agree remote could be helpful.

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #355 of 841
You can try the ones on xmos official site. I had a topping DX7 before and it used the same driver it seems as the monolith. It automatically installed when I plugged it in to Windows 10

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #357 of 841
You can try the ones on xmos official site. I had a topping DX7 before and it used the same driver it seems as the monolith. It automatically installed when I plugged it in to Windows 10

The official XMOS drivers aren't working properly I get "XMOS DFU error" on drivers list in Windows 10, I too have a Topping DX7s so that didn't work as you've indicated. There no ASIO driver so it's not proper support anyway? I don't know who they think they are kidding.

"
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.
"

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #358 of 841
The official XMOS drivers aren't working properly I get "XMOS DFU error" on drivers list in Windows 10, I too have a Topping DX7s so that didn't work as you've indicated. There no ASIO driver so it's not proper support anyway? I don't know who they think they are kidding.

"

"

Well, I don't know what to say. I can research and try to figure out what driver I have installed. The only other USB dac I have installed that had drivers, that I can remember, is the Topping DX7 or the Audeze Mobius headphone - which used its own driver.

I dont really even take advantage of the driver to be honest, as I have no DSD files and just play normal CD-quality FLAC and stream audio. I'll let you know if I find anything in my driver files.

Dec 21, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #359 of 841

"

"

I attached my driver files from my Windows 10 folder. I am using the latest version of Win 10 too btw.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma... Discussion - Head-Fi.org&txt=XMOS 2.26.0.zip

xmos.png

Attachments

• XMOS 2.26.0.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back