Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #361 of 841
These are very old drivers, but still much appreciated and worth trying if they work, cheers!

I believe I tried the latest XMOS 4.x and they didn't appear to work??
https://www.xmos.com/developer/published/usb-audio-class-20-evaluation-driver-windows

-Naran

Well, those old drivers worked for me. Then I decided to be dumb and install the 4.x test driver and now I can't get the 2.6 driver to work anymore either. :|

Doesnt really bother me too much since I don't do DSD, but annoying to see a DFU driver error in Device Manager. I'll keep playing around and see if I can figure out what worked and what made it stop working.

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #362 of 841
anyone using any of the Hifiman's Arya/Ananda/HE1000 with these? I want to plug a turn-table to this aswell as the PC. Lyr3/Jot are my potential choices, coming from a Schiit stack v3 Magni/Modi.

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #364 of 841
Sound like the lack of compatibility with sensitive iems makes this a no go. I Wanted a unit I could enjoy plugging my MD+ into, seems like I'll be getting the thx 789 and ending the chase for a fully 'balanced' system.

That's probably the biggest negative for this if that falls into your use case. IEMatch works fine with it though.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #365 of 841
I received this DAC/AMP about a week ago and so far it's been really good. It drives all my headphones easily: DT 1990, HD600, AKG K7XX with a lot of amp left to spare. It sounds materially better than my previous unit, the Centrance DACport Slim from Massdrop. More detail, faster response, and fuller bass.

I also have FLC 8S and Etymotic ER4XR and there's a small amount of background noise with those, but when the music starts playing, it's inaudible. I have a Etymotic ER4P to S convertor cable (adds 75 ohms) and running IEMs through this eliminates any background noise.

edit: that was all on single-ended

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #366 of 841
I received this DAC/AMP about a week ago and so far it's been really good. It drives all my headphones easily: DT 1990, HD600, AKG K7XX with a lot of amp left to spare. It sounds materially better than my previous unit, the Centrance DACport Slim from Massdrop. More detail, faster response, and fuller bass.

I also have FLC 8S and Etymotic ER4XR and there's a small amount of background noise with those, but when the music starts playing, it's inaudible. I have a Etymotic ER4P to S convertor cable (adds 75 ohms) and running IEMs through this eliminates any background noise.

what's the sensitivity of the DT 1990?

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #368 of 841

They sell 75 ohm impedance adapters like that on Amazon. They work with any 3.5mm device. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QJL0C

Though I believe that a cable/adapter with a volume pot basically does the samething. Adjusting the volume pot change the resistance thereby changing the volume. This is the cheap one I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYP98LU

I'll test both and report my findings.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #369 of 841
Okay, so I can confirm that the +75 ohm impedance cable works very well with my sensitive iems, and I cannot hear the distortion with the source volume turned down low, and amp volume all the way up.

With the cheap volume control cable, not so much. I think it did make some difference, but it didn't get rid of it all. It very quirky to work with and the added volume control is redundant and it being analog is probably a net negative considering the amp volume control in digital.

As a little side note, the 75 ohm impedance cable can be chained together to add as many 75 ohms of impedance as you like. I'm sure you will get deminishing returns on the benefit per each additional cable you add, so take that as you will.

Basically, if you want a THX MP 788 and are a heavy user of sensitive iems and headphones, then I would recommend the purchase of an impedance cable. Mind you that mean the cost you incure for the total system would be $500.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #370 of 841
Guys, I wanted to ask, would Dirac work if I connect my Turn table via a phono-preamp through the Analog RCA IN? I would love to connect my Pro-Ject Essential III turntable via the RCA and enjoy my vinyls. Wonder if older analog recordings would take advantage of Dirac.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #371 of 841
Guys, I wanted to ask, would Dirac work if I connect my Turn table via a phono-preamp through the Analog RCA IN? I would love to connect my Pro-Ject Essential III turntable via the RCA and enjoy my vinyls. Wonder if older analog recordings would take advantage of Dirac.

Hello - I tried plugging my DAP into analog RCA input to the amp, and yes, DIRAC works.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #372 of 841
Hello - I tried plugging my DAP into analog RCA input to the amp, and yes, DIRAC works.

sweet, is this amp/dac your main Amp/dac? I would love for someone to make a youtube Impressions video.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #373 of 841
sweet, is this amp/dac your main Amp/dac? I would love for someone to make a youtube Impressions video.

It currently is my main desktop amp/da at my computer workstation which is where I do a lot of my music listening. I also have a Loxjie P20 Hybrid Tube that is connected to it for warmer sound needs. My relaxation areas, like the living room and den, I primarily plug my headphones into my the integrated amps I have there which work fine mostly for limited use (i'm usually using speakers) -- or I use my DAP.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #374 of 841
When an analog source is connected via the Analog In RCA port, is that signal converted to digital for EQ/Dirac and then back to Analog? I need to know this, I want my analog signal to remain 100% analog when listening via headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back