Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #331 of 841
I am done with Moniprice, I am currently working to get my money back in full.
I just learn that they charge tax of shipping, and they did not refund it.
After back and forth a few times, now they refund the tax part of shipping.
Anyway, I am done with Monoprice, too much hassle.
Watch their web site, and you might see the amp I returned in low price as openbox.
Same I'm $8 short

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #333 of 841
Perhaps "deceptive" was the wrong word to use, but Monoprice is leaning heavily on that THX brand recognition to sell the product. I guess it's like the old "THX approved" DVDs we used to buy. At the end of the day, that THX "certification" didn't amount to a hill of beans. It was more of a marketing ploy in that scenario. A bit different here to be sure, but I still don't really like it.

THX ( Tomlinson Holman's Experience ) is dated. Their trade marks on the low-end mass production gear back in the days was simply a marketing tool. THX charge a fee just to have their trade mark on the products. George Lucas has to recover the money of R & D under THX name. Now a day, it does not mean much.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #334 of 841
THX ( Tomlinson Holman's Experience ) is dated. Their trade marks on the low-end mass production gear back in the days was simply a marketing tool. THX charge a fee just to have their trade mark on the products. George Lucas has to recover the money of R & D under THX name. Now a day, it does not mean much.
It probably doesn't mean much, but it must still be worth it if companies still use it. They probably know what they are doing, and the cost is likely outweighed by the benefits in some way or another.

Hopefully, when that changes in the future they'll stop using it

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #336 of 841
Has anyone tried this unit with IEMs? I was wondering if it was suitable for high sensitivity and low impedance IEMs? (Ie CA andromedas)

Surprisingly, I found it hissy when using CA Orions, which are sensitive as well. I did not have hiss issues with any of my planars, or other over-ear headphones and less sensitive IEMs.

I used it with balanced output though - but I can try it with single ended when I get home if you want.

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #337 of 841
Surprisingly, I found it hissy when using CA Orions, which are sensitive as well. I did not have hiss issues with any of my planars, or other over-ear headphones and less sensitive IEMs.

I used it with balanced output though - but I can try it with single ended when I get home if you want.

If you could do that I would really appreciate it. I'm trying to decide between this product and the Questyle CMA400i. Based on features and specs, the monoprice seems at least on paper the better buy, but given its newness there has not been many detailed reviews for reference.

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #338 of 841

not that surprising, those are significantly more sensitive and lower resistance than my denons.

114 dB SPL/mW Sensitivity

13.9 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #339 of 841
If you could do that I would really appreciate it. I'm trying to decide between this product and the Questyle CMA400i. Based on features and specs, the monoprice seems at least on paper the better buy, but given its newness there has not been many detailed reviews for reference.

With single ended using the CA stock cable, I get very, very faint hiss but it seems inaudible to me during playback. With the balanced cable, it's audible during quiet moments of playback, so it's quite louder. I have almost always used IEMatch with my IEMs, especially these CA ones, so it's never been an issue for me until I recently decided to try it without the IEMatch and then noticed the issue.

not that surprising, those are significantly more sensitive and lower resistance than my denons.

114 dB SPL/mW Sensitivity

13.9 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance

Surprising since this is supposed to have low OI

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #341 of 841
I have a modified pair of DT 1770s that have top-notch isolation, and all I hear is air foil and environmental noise from outside my house.

I'll try using a pair of my sensitive iems under my hearing protectors next.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #342 of 841
Dude Lucas sold THX a long time ago, way before Lucasfilm, and this amp has nothing to do with those HT certification patents. Might wanna brush up on things before your unload on something you know nothing much about.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #343 of 841
Dude Lucas sold THX a long time ago, way before Lucasfilm, and this amp has nothing to do with those HT certification patents. Might wanna brush up on things before your unload on something you know nothing much about.

agreed. THX AAA certification on an amp today should mean a great deal actually. Although their implementation here is not taking full advantage of the tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back