Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #377 of 841
Just a quick question, has anyone hooked up this monoprice 788 to a mac? Everything i have read so far is for windows and wondering if the dac will work on a mac computer. thanks
Yup, works on my really old iMac.

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #378 of 841
FYI xmos drivers have been released for those on older windows os versions

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #381 of 841
Just recv'd my 788. The display is white, not the blue that is shown on the MP website.

The firmware is 1.01
On the main page for the 788, MP is now offering a 1.03 firmware update and the tool to do the upgrade. No mention of a change log

I'm using a TOS link on a Win7 PC, set to 24 bit 48K, for Spotify premium. So far so good

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #382 of 841
honestly with the introduction of the JDS Atom amp, I cannot see a reason to buy the Monoprice. There are so many DACs to choose from in that perform as well or better and paired with the Atom amp will save you some $ and desktop space. I guess the only reason I can think of if you are simply taken with the aesthetic of the unit.

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #383 of 841
What DACs "perform as well or better" than the one in the Monoprice? To match its feature list, the DAC would need optical, coaxial, and AES inputs... and niceties like Dirac Sensurround, parametric EQ, and other sound customizations. And let's not forget that the Monoprice's amplifier has a balanced headphone out... and is based on THX AAA architecture, which will produce measurably cleaner sound than the JDS Atom.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #384 of 841
honestly with the introduction of the JDS Atom amp, I cannot see a reason to buy the Monoprice. There are so many DACs to choose from in that perform as well or better and paired with the Atom amp will save you some $ and desktop space. I guess the only reason I can think of if you are simply taken with the aesthetic of the unit.

Beyond what mattris countered with, I don't see how an SE amp (e.g. JDS Atom) can be in the same conversation with a bridged dual amp, dual AKM 4493 unit.

Not to say that the Atom isn't a sound (no pun intended) choice; it's just in a different class, than the AAA 788

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #385 of 841
What DACs "perform as well or better" than the one in the Monoprice? To match its feature list, the DAC would need optical, coaxial, and AES inputs... and niceties like Dirac Sensurround, parametric EQ, and other sound customizations. And let's not forget that the Monoprice's amplifier has a balanced headphone out... and is based on THX AAA architecture, which will produce measurably cleaner sound than the JDS Atom.

I've owned the monoprice. The Dirac is all gimmick. Maybe if you need the EQ but there are free options on PC that are much more versatile.

Measurements wise, the EL DAC is equal to the MP DAC and has plenty of inputs. Measurements wise the atom amp wipes the floor with the amp in the MP (which actually delivers half the advertised power).

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #386 of 841
Beyond what mattris countered with, I don't see how an SE amp (e.g. JDS Atom) can be in the same conversation with a bridged dual amp, dual AKM 4493 unit.

Not to say that the Atom isn't a sound (no pun intended) choice; it's just in a different class, than the AAA 788

A spec sheet means nothing when it comes to implementation. If they delivered on what they marketed it would be one thing. If you do some research, the fumbled the execution.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #389 of 841
I've owned the monoprice. The Dirac is all gimmick. Maybe if you need the EQ but there are free options on PC that are much more versatile.

Measurements wise, the EL DAC is equal to the MP DAC and has plenty of inputs. Measurements wise the atom amp wipes the floor with the amp in the MP (which actually delivers half the advertised power).

Where are these measurements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back