Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #61 of 841
I messaged their support directly and got no response, which is not like them (they used to always respond). I hope they are not avoiding the question because it simply is not balanced, and they want people to buy it thinking it is balanced. When I was at CanJam SoCal, the guy at the booth made it seem like the version that they'd be selling was the best one available. He even said that they improved upon the design, which I don't think they are even aloud to do, so maybe he was full of hot air.

Thanks for doing that. For me, as I would imagine for most people, if it's not a balanced amp I won't be buying one. Nothing against single-ended, I just don't need that right now.

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #62 of 841
Alright, score! Just got confirmation from the staff that the person who replied to me is the THX engineer. This was the staff's reply:

"
The gentleman that answered is the AAA tech engineer from THX. Obviously, we stand by his answer as we worked extensively with THX in bringing this product to fruition.
Hobie S Staff on Aug 24, 2018"

Recap:

My original question:

"OK, so the 788 isn't a true balanced amplifier... but you're putting two in. AND you're putting in two AKM 4493 DACs.

Are you putting two of these in to make it a balanced output? What is the reasoning behind using two of each of these units if the unit won't be balanced? Furthermore, why put a 4-pin XLR connector on the unit if it won't be balanced? You have a lot of clarifying to do Monoprice and I suggest you get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to answer all these questions, because they are not being answered with any clarity."

Answer (now confirmed to be the THX engineer):

" Incorrect. This Monoprice unit is truly balanced in & out. It contains dual THXAAA-788 stereo amplifier modules configured to create a fully balanced bridged stereo output. It also supports TRS unbalanced output.
The XLR-4 is present to permit balanced headphone connection."

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #63 of 841
Alright, score! Just got confirmation from the staff that the person who replied to me is the THX engineer. This was the staff's reply:

"
The gentleman that answered is the AAA tech engineer from THX. Obviously, we stand by his answer as we worked extensively with THX in bringing this product to fruition.
Hobie S Staff on Aug 24, 2018"

Recap:

My original question:

"OK, so the 788 isn't a true balanced amplifier... but you're putting two in. AND you're putting in two AKM 4493 DACs.

Are you putting two of these in to make it a balanced output? What is the reasoning behind using two of each of these units if the unit won't be balanced? Furthermore, why put a 4-pin XLR connector on the unit if it won't be balanced? You have a lot of clarifying to do Monoprice and I suggest you get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to answer all these questions, because they are not being answered with any clarity."

Answer (now confirmed to be the THX engineer):

" Incorrect. This Monoprice unit is truly balanced in & out. It contains dual THXAAA-788 stereo amplifier modules configured to create a fully balanced bridged stereo output. It also supports TRS unbalanced output.
The XLR-4 is present to permit balanced headphone connection."
Oh thank God...they had me worried there for a second with the radio silence. Take my money Monoprice, just promise you won't do that again.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #64 of 841
As per their product pages, both Desktop and Portable Monolith THX AAA DAC/amps have been delayed once again... this time only by a few weeks. The new scheduled release date is Nov. 2nd.

While I'm curious to know the reason(s) for these units' release delays, I just want them to deliver in spades when they are eventually become available. Monoprice's behavior regarding these two units - consistent delays over the course of almost a year - is akin to treating potential customers like donkeys. These two products are the carrots on a string.

Sep 1, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #65 of 841
Boy, they are going to get skewered if those products have any sort of problems. With delays like this, I certainly expect them to be honing perfection and not trying to correct major flaws.

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #66 of 841
Seems like they must have switched suppliers at some point, given the redesign. They’re probably having a hard time locking down a date because whoever they contracted to bulk produce is not sticking to the original plan. So they keep pushing it out just a bit each time. We might still be months off from release. :grimacing:

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say that it was Massdrop insisting that THX delay Monoprice’s amp on purpose so it wouldn’t steal the glory and potential sales of the 789... but they’re very different products, so that wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Sep 2, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #67 of 841
As it turns out the cheap Magni 3 has grown on me over the past several months. I bought it as a temporary replacement after my main amp decided to get lost in the postal system on an I'll fated trip to a repair shop. But the Magni 3 sounds very good and I'm content at the moment.

I can sit back and wait for this nonsense with Monoprice and their amps to sort itself out. I got no rush. My guess is we'll see at least another delay before this sorry tale comes to a conclusion.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #68 of 841
The delays could be from thx or could also be related to the shortage of electronic components that Cavalli mentioned is holding up the release and required some redesign of the monoprice/Cavalli amps. He wrote about it in the headfi thread

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #69 of 841
For those that want that "tube" sound, Monoprice is also going to release a new $400 tube amp/DAC.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29511
295111.jpg
Note, this amp is now shipping.
Link to product

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #70 of 841
Sep 11, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #71 of 841
Sep 11, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #72 of 841
Sep 19, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #75 of 841
This is interesting. According to the manuals the portable unit will feature the same dual AK4493 DAC chips and also dual 788 amplifier modules featured in the desktop unit.

The manuals note that both have the same circuit board material and share the same components.

The portable unit outputs 220mW into 32 ohms. This is same as Sony's PHA-3, a vastly more expensive unit that can only achieve that output figure in balanced mode. It's also significantly more than a Dragonfly Black which has an output of 135mW [source].

The portable unit looks like compelling option especially if you already have a decent desktop setup and need a mobile solution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back