Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
May 22, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #46 of 841
I received this response from Monoprice: "Yes, the 788 isn't a true balanced amplifier, and YES, this unit will have two THX-788 modules in it. It also has two AKM 4493 DACs inside as well."
That's confusing to me. Does that mean that the THX-788 (the open source design) isn't designed to be balanced, and that's why Monoprice used 2 modules (to make it balanced somehow)? Or did they use 2 modules for extra juice without making it balanced?

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #47 of 841
That's confusing to me. Does that mean that the THX-788 (the open source design) isn't designed to be balanced, and that's why Monoprice used 2 modules (to make it balanced somehow)? Or did they use 2 modules for extra juice without making it balanced?
Thats kind of how I imagine it is given the info I've read and asked the THX folks and whats on the THX website, and what's on the Monoprice site.

May 22, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #48 of 841
Thats kind of how I imagine it is given the info I've read and asked the THX folks and whats on the THX website, and what's on the Monoprice site.
I'm a little disappointed with Monoprice's response. It'll not clear enough for me to have a definite interpretation, and I wish they were a little more nuanced with their answers. The answer they gave was almost like one a politician would give. I have half a mind to not buy their product (once it comes out) until they give some further clarification.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #49 of 841
Monoprice recently pushed back release dates for their new amps to early and mid October 2018. I interpret these delays as a positive because it likely means they continue to fine tune the design.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #50 of 841
Monoprice recently pushed back release dates for their new amps to early and mid October 2018. I interpret these delays as a positive because it likely means they continue to fine tune the design.
That's good, because I'm sure that I and many others from the look of it won't be buying it unless if it is truly balanced.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #51 of 841

There was a post by Alex Cavalli who mentioned theres a worldwide electronic part shortage on some of these components which is causing delay to the Monoprice/Cavalli amps, so I assume this also affects the THX/Monoprice amp too. It's also interesting that the new dates are aligning closely with the Massdrop/THX amp release as well.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #52 of 841
I received this response from Monoprice: "Yes, the 788 isn't a true balanced amplifier, and YES, this unit will have two THX-788 modules in it. It also has two AKM 4493 DACs inside as well."

Can you confirm that your response has been deleted? I went and asked a question:

"OK, so the 788 isn't a true balanced amplifier... but you're putting two in. AND you're putting in two AKM 4493 DACs.

Are you putting two of these in to make it a balanced output? What is the reasoning behind using two of each of these units if the unit won't be balanced? Furthermore, why put a 4-pin XLR connector on the unit if it won't be balanced? You have a lot of clarifying to do Monoprice and I suggest you get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to answer all these questions, because they are not being answered with any clarity."

based on these other questions that had directly conflicting answers and someone replied (not staff by the looks of it?). However, your post seems to be missing now, or I'm unable to find it, which leads me to believe Monoprice took action and cleaned up the answers which were incorrect.

EDIT: Whoever responded (again, it doesn't say they're staff) said:

" Incorrect. This Monoprice unit is truly balanced in & out. It contains dual THXAAA-788 stereo amplifier modules configured to create a fully balanced bridged stereo output. It also supports TRS unbalanced output.
The XLR-4 is present to permit balanced headphone connection."

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #53 of 841
I messaged their support directly and got no response, which is not like them (they used to always respond). I hope they are not avoiding the question because it simply is not balanced, and they want people to buy it thinking it is balanced. When I was at CanJam SoCal, the guy at the booth made it seem like the version that they'd be selling was the best one available. He even said that they improved upon the design, which I don't think they are even aloud to do, so maybe he was full of hot air.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #54 of 841
I don't think any of their staff has the faintest idea and there isn't any real information available. That's why it made me so curious, as to why this person seems so sure when they're not part of the staff. Could be someone interpreting the prior answer to antdroid as definitive proof. I mean it wouldn't make any sense to put in two of each module unless it was to make it balanced. Either that or their team (or more likely contracted team) is just throwing components inside and have no idea what they're doing (which would explain the delay, maybe they had to switch suppliers).

Aug 23, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #55 of 841
I don't think any of their staff has the faintest idea and there isn't any real information available. That's why it made me so curious, as to why this person seems so sure when they're not part of the staff. Could be someone interpreting the prior answer to antdroid as definitive proof. I mean it wouldn't make any sense to put in two of each module unless it was to make it balanced. Either that or their team (or more likely contracted team) is just throwing components inside and have no idea what they're doing (which would explain the delay, maybe they had to switch suppliers).
It could be adding more power without making it balanced. Which is stupid, but hey companies do stupid things sometimes. Fingers crossed that that's not the case.

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #58 of 841
Stay calm Sythrix. I'm sure we'll get answers when the amps are close to launch.
I think that'll be the case, because I'd hate to have to find out the day it launches only for it to be sold out.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #59 of 841
Alright giant tortoise, we do it your way...

I'll ask another question on their website.

I think we're going to have to await some professional reviews or at internal photos of the board with explanations on the topology by knowledgeable people in the headphone audio community to break down and explain the design and how well thought out it is.

With this essentially being a novel product centered around THX amplifier chips people have little experience with I'm going to need some solid listening impressions before I buy.

Those other amps Monoprice is launching designed by Cavali are more of a known quantity.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #60 of 841
I think we're going to have to await some professional reviews or at internal photos of the board with explanations on the topology by knowledgeable people in the headphone audio community to break down and explain the design and how well thought out it is.

With this essentially being a novel product centered around THX amplifier chips people have little experience with I'm going to need some solid listening impressions before I buy.

Those other amps Monoprice is launching designed by Cavali are more of a known quantity.

I wonder if it will be somewhere at RMAF this year. I don’t know if Monoprice has ever appeared there, but maybe THX will have one of their versions to test. It’s only a couple weeks away from the current launch date and you would generally expect them to promote their partners. I’ll have to look when I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back