Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Flak2
    Good point... Dirac Sensaround can be switched off when listening to speakers through line out

:) Flavio

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. twibmassa
    Well shoot. Now appears to be delayed til 2018. I was looking forward to this too.

docninety likes this.
  3. Flak2
    One of the reasons why we ventured into this is that we have found that the need for individualization is less important than generally thought, provided that the HRTFs are modelled correctly... just as in room correction, trying to model every tiny detail of a head-related transfer function can lead to errors.
    The solution needs to be robust to work for everyone.
    Also we have not tried to make a system that takes a given HiFi room and transforms that into headphones.
    We rather wanted to create an ideal listening space... real rooms and hifi systems have lots of problems that color the sound, which is exactly what we wanted to avoid.
    In a sense the virtual HiFi room might be the ultimate room correction solution.

Flavio

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  4. tuan2195
    I'm really interested in this one. I want to get a nice solid state amp and I'm pretty bummed I missed out on the Massdrop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon drop. This might be a good choice, since it has a built in DAC and I assume the DAC module is balanced since it has a balanced output? The Cavalli LC also have a balanced output but I would need a balanced DAC as well, which isn't cheap on its own. I really want to try balanced with my Elear/HD6XX. For $100 more this can be a winner, depends on the performance.

5. kukkurovaca
    I wouldn't assume the DAC is balanced just because there is a balanced output. In fact, you can't even assume the amp is balanced just because it has balanced in and out; some amps are internally single-ended and only have those connectors for convenience. Probably best to wait for detailed specs if a fully balanced dac/amp is important to you.

Also the Cavalli LC does not require a balanced dac. And just generally, how balanced the design is will not be the main factor in determine how good it will sound in use.

If you do want a dac/amp combo with dual dac, may want to look at Topping DX7, Schiit Jotunheim w/dac, SMSL M9.

Or, on the portable side, the RHA L1 had a price drop to $300, that's fully balanced. And for a little less, the Shanling M3S is a fully balanced DAP that also works as a DAC/amp.

docninety likes this.
  6. docninety
    At least one thing can already be said: It's design is absolutely gorgeous - stolen or not!

7. Schwibbles
    This looks really promising. I wonder how it will compare to the Jotunheim and Topping DX7.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    docninety likes this.